Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

A new trend in window design?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-07, 04:21 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A new trend in window design?

not sure if you have noticed lately but there have been some cars with the bottom part of the front windows slanted downwards

I dont like this new trend im seeing with front window design

for example, 599 (not that i dont like the 599 but if that window was on some other car, i prob wont like it)

and the MB B200

i know they designed the car like this so it flows better with the overall shape but im just not used to it yet...

what do you think?

Last edited by UberNoob; 11-20-07 at 07:01 PM.
Old 11-19-07, 04:33 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 189 Likes on 147 Posts

i thought even the 2gs are like that, just not as "much"
Old 11-19-07, 05:06 PM
LexFather

Old 11-19-07, 05:27 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

as long as the glass is completely down when my window is down i'm a-ok w. it (that goes for front AND back)

as a side: mmmmmm Diablo ...
Old 11-20-07, 01:19 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

haha i guess that isnt so new of a trend then since diablo had it

btw
whatever happened to subaru's SVX's window design?
Old 11-20-07, 08:25 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well it does give you a bit more of the road to see and gives a sense that you're sitting higher up (cause the window sill is "lower")

SVX? I like that car but from a design perspective, it's a big no-no. It mostly has to do with that black frame running right through the windows to separate the fixed from the movable portion. They'd rather see a cleaner design on the car. Besides, people will wonder why the whole window won't open and only that small portion does.
Old 11-20-07, 08:55 AM
jdmpwr07
Driver

Originally Posted by Faymester
as long as the glass is completely down when my window is down i'm a-ok w. it (that goes for front AND back)

as a side: mmmmmm Diablo ...
exactly...i hate windows that dont roll all the way down
Old 11-20-07, 09:10 AM
kit cat

Originally Posted by Nextourer
SVX? I like that car but from a design perspective, it's a big no-no. It mostly has to do with that black frame running right through the windows to separate the fixed from the movable portion. They'd rather see a cleaner design on the car. Besides, people will wonder why the whole window won't open and only that small portion does.
I had a SVX for 3 years but that never bothered me. Tempting to get another one after I'm done with school.
Old 11-20-07, 04:45 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
I had a SVX for 3 years but that never bothered me. Tempting to get another one after I'm done with school.
cool. Never sat in one. Just remembered that they were cool when I came over to Canada.. then Subaru dropped it lol.
Old 11-20-07, 05:10 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

The Mercedes R-Class also does this, and to a lesser extent,
the CLS has a bit of this appearance.

Looks like the windows melted, or are pinching a loaf.
Old 11-20-07, 06:38 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

It was done for aerodynamic reasons, not aesthetics. Enthusiasts FTW.

I tried to get an SVX, but it turns out that the ones that are in design shape are considered collectors items because not many made it to the U.S. I wouldnt have wanted the 4EAT anyway. Manual trans. is so much more fun. Stupid Subaru. Biggest complaint of Legacy wagon buyers now: No MT option anymore.
Old 11-20-07, 07:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

btw
whatever happened to subaru's SVX's window design?

No, the main issue with the SVX's windows was money.....that and the fact that they were awkward and difficult for body and glass shops to repair after damage. It was too costly a window design to produce for the low numbers that the SVX sold in. And, the car itself was so unpopular that Subaru ended up dropping it after only a few years.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-20-07 at 07:04 PM.
Old 11-20-07, 08:55 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
And, the car itself was so unpopular that Subaru ended up dropping it after only a few years.
6 years to be exact. If anyone has read the book Where the Suckers Moon, it talks about how the advertising company botched the ads, which never allowed it to reach its potential.
Old 11-21-07, 04:46 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
6 years to be exact. If anyone has read the book Where the Suckers Moon, it talks about how the advertising company botched the ads, which never allowed it to reach its potential.
Granted, Subaru's marketing, for years, was awful, as witnessed by the misleading Paul Hogan TV ads that depicted car-based Subarus as off-road Jeeps and the equally goofy Lance Armstrong/Cheryl Crow ads that followed.

But the SVX's popularity problems, unlike other Subarus, were not so much due to ads and marketing as the fact that the car just did not appeal to many people. I have consulted and shopped with a lot of car-buyers over the years for a lot of different cars, and I can remember actually going to seriously shop with somebody for an SVX only once.....a used one at Car Max.

Were it not for the current craze with car-based SUV's, the Subaru Tribeca, today, would probably be as unpopular as the SVX was.
Old 11-21-07, 07:41 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

IMO they need to bring back the Paul Hogan ads. Thats when Subaru really took off.

Quick Reply: A new trend in window design?