Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Do they not understand how important names are????

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-07 | 11:41 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Seems Lexus is heading down the same road

IS-F
LF-A
GS-F ?

Great cars in the Acura line up regardless of what decals they slap on it. Don't like it, there is always debadging.
Old 11-20-07 | 12:21 PM
Trexus

Mayby some of the automobile manufacturers lack consistency in naming their vehicle line-up. For example Cadillac has the:

CTS
STS
DTS
SRX
BLS
XLR
ABC
XYZ

The last two I made up. Anyway where does the Escalade fit? Shouldn't it have a three letter designation? Either way I agree with you Mike that the name or designation of a vehicle are definitely very important and I think they should be somewhat consistent as well...

Last edited by Trexus; 11-24-07 at 10:40 PM.
Old 11-20-07 | 04:41 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Trexus
Mayby some of the automobile manufacturers lack consistency in naming their vehicle line-up. For example Cadillac has the:

CTS
STS
DTS
SRX
BLS
XLR
ABC
XYZ

The last two I made up. Anyway where does the Escalade fit? Shouldn't it have a three letter designation? Either way I agree with you Mike that the name or designation of a vehicle are very important and I think they should be somewhat consistent as well...
How does Esc sound lol. "I have an Esc too.. it's on the top left of my keyboard" <makes retarded gestures> hahahaha.
Old 11-20-07 | 05:08 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

The worst was Subaru with "B9 Tribeca."

Say what?
Old 11-20-07 | 09:22 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
The worst was Subaru with "B9 Tribeca."

Say what?
supposedly it was B = boxer, 9 is some code and Tribeca is triangle below canal st. in NY.
Old 11-23-07 | 06:13 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

I disagree that the "FCX Clarity" is a terrible name, although I wish they would have gone for the alphanumerics or (preferably) the name. Honda has always had some of the best model names in the business. They take relatively obscure words that always have a positive connotation and make car names out of them.

Civic. Accord. Prelude. Odyssey. Legend. Even Integra (a made-up word that connotates "integral") and Vigor aren't bad, nor is Pilot. Clarity isn't quite in the same league, but at least fits the model.
Old 11-23-07 | 08:11 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Iceman
I disagree that the "FCX Clarity" is a terrible name, although I wish they would have gone for the alphanumerics or (preferably) the name. Honda has always had some of the best model names in the business. They take relatively obscure words that always have a positive connotation and make car names out of them.

Civic. Accord. Prelude. Odyssey. Legend. Even Integra (a made-up word that connotates "integral") and Vigor aren't bad, nor is Pilot. Clarity isn't quite in the same league, but at least fits the model.
Ridgeline? haha
Old 11-24-07 | 03:28 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Ridgeline also doesn't fit the model I was describing, but at least it's an appropriate name. It has a rugged, outdoorsy feel to it and the side profile of the truck stylistically resembles a mountain ridge.
Old 11-24-07 | 03:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Iceman
Ridgeline also doesn't fit the model I was describing, but at least it's an appropriate name. It has a rugged, outdoorsy feel to it and the side profile of the truck stylistically resembles a mountain ridge.
An interesting observation you made there concerning the truck's name and side profile..........I had not noticed that before.

And this truck is often underrated as an all-around daily driver. True, it is not a Super-Duty F-350 or Ram 3500 with diesel and dualie rear wheels that will pull a freight train like a locomotive, but it was not meant to be. Even though I'm not a big fan of Motor Trend magazine, one can see that the Ridgeline did not win MT's Truck of the Year award for nothing, either.....it not only has an upper unibody frame COMBINED with a lower-body ladder-truck frame (a first in the pickup world), but also has several other features no other pickup has......the most noted being the outside, lockable, weatherproof trunk under the pickup bed.
Old 11-24-07 | 03:41 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

In japan honda makes a car called, today.
Old 11-24-07 | 03:48 PM
proximal
Driver

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
Japanese market names shouldn't count; they're in a league of their own. Suzuki makes a car called the Every Joy Pop Turbo.
Old 11-24-07 | 04:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
Today, and all that Jazz.

(Yes, Honda makes a car called Jazz........it is sold here in the U.S. as the Fit).
Old 11-24-07 | 04:00 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

I like the old names and no numbers for our domestic market. Letters and numbers is a MB and BMW thing then everyone else seemed to take a variation on it. I was fine when Toyota had names like Corona, Corolla, Celica, 4Runner... Honda only offered the Civic (CVCC wasn't it?) and Accord in early days.

The general trend is also to abbreviate...Sunny Delight...Sunny-D or S-D, Miller Genuine Draft-MGD...puh-lease....stop with all this. It's hard for me to remember all the letter combos.
Old 11-24-07 | 04:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RA40
I like the old names and no numbers for our domestic market. Letters and numbers is a MB and BMW thing then everyone else seemed to take a variation on it.
This was a long-standing Volvo characteristic as well....it was not limited to German cars.
Old 11-24-07 | 09:26 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

RBK? haha

ahh yes.. the Japanese market and their odd names.

Honda Vamos (trust me, it ain't fast)
Honda Open-Hearted Wagon concept
Nissan Clipper Rio
Suzuki Wagon R RR (I swear, that's the name)
Toyota Succeed
Toyota Probox
Toyota Rush

I like this one.. cubeł (cube cube)

Quick Reply: Do they not understand how important names are????