Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Do they not understand how important names are????

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-07, 10:35 PM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Here's another one for lack of consistency. Does everyone remember the Infiniti I 35? Why was the I cursive while all the other models had regular letters? I'm thinking all the other models should have had cursive letters such as the G, M, J, and Q or that the cursive I should have been a regular I. I know it's being real picky but I definitely like consistency.

Last edited by Trexus; 11-24-07 at 10:39 PM.
Old 11-24-07, 11:55 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Trexus
Here's another one for lack of consistency. Does everyone remember the Infiniti I 35? Why was the I cursive while all the other models had regular letters? I'm thinking all the other models should have had cursive letters such as the G, M, J, and Q or that the cursive I should have been a regular I. I know it's being real picky but I definitely like consistency.
probably so that people don't think it's the Infiniti 135.
Old 11-25-07, 08:15 PM
Trexus

Originally Posted by Nextourer
probably so that people don't think it's the Infiniti 135.
You're probably correct. The I could be mistaken for a 1...
Old 11-25-07, 08:57 PM
LexFather

Infiniti's names are as I've stated before, the worst letters in the alphabet. No one uses these letters. You would fail on Wheel of Fortune.

Hyundai has an i30

And they wonder why the general public is confused..
"M" is a letter associated with BMW, period. You think "M" you think M3, M5 etc. To confuse us, the M30 was a coupe, then discontinued, then the M45 came as a sedan, then 2 years later a new M35/45. Confusing.
"J"-canned
"I"-canned
"G" was a fwd, I-4 G20, got discontinued, came back, TWICE, finally as a V-6 RWD sedan/coupe. Now to make matters more confusing, PONTIAC's entire lineup begins with G G4, G5, G6, G8. So now you cannot refer to the car as a "G" because it can be a Pontiac or Infiniti.
QX4 became QX56
"Q"-canned
FX-clearly RX derived
EX-sounds like a Honda trim level.

Not sure who works in their marketing department....

In general, its out of control. Mazda no longer uses names, as I stated, Pontiac. Scion used letter too, and figures one lowercase, one uppercase won't confuse people. Hyundai has a XG blah blah blah. Lincoln now uses MK whatever. Caddy dropped their names sans the Escalade.

Not sure what Lexus will do when they expand, can the Lexus BS be coming?

Add Audi, Benz, BMW coming out with new models everyday and its confusing to even car nuts like you and me.

Old 11-26-07, 11:55 PM
Trexus

I do have to give props to Ford in being consistent in naming their SUV's and their car's until recently. Ford's SUV's are as follows:

Escape
Explorer
Expedition
Excursion

I know Ford has the Freestyle which is relatively new but it's been changed to the Taurus X. The pattern here is that all of their names start with E. Ford's vehicle model lineup was:

Focus
Fusion
Five Hundred

I know Ford also has the Crown Victoria but I didn't include that since it will be discontinued. The pattern here was that all of the car's names started with F then Ford re-named the Five Hundred to Taurus. Why??? Even though Ford re-named the Five Hundred a Taurus it will always be a Five Hundred to me no matter what...
Old 11-27-07, 12:13 AM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am starting to get extremely confused with all these numberic-alphabet names also. I still prefer the actual names like Accord, Silvia, Skyline, Legend, Corolla, Aristo, Lancer, Altezza, Century etc. If it is a very special car then its okay to call it like NSX or GT-R or CRX. But if you do that to every car it starts to get confused. PLEASE CALL THEM NAMES.
Old 11-27-07, 04:52 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

You're probably correct. The I could be mistaken for a 1...
esp. with the new BMW 135i lol.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Infiniti's names are as I've stated before, the worst letters in the alphabet. No one uses these letters. You would fail on Wheel of Fortune.

Hyundai has an i30

And they wonder why the general public is confused..
"M" is a letter associated with BMW, period. You think "M" you think M3, M5 etc. To confuse us, the M30 was a coupe, then discontinued, then the M45 came as a sedan, then 2 years later a new M35/45. Confusing.
"J"-canned
"I"-canned
"G" was a fwd, I-4 G20, got discontinued, came back, TWICE, finally as a V-6 RWD sedan/coupe. Now to make matters more confusing, PONTIAC's entire lineup begins with G G4, G5, G6, G8. So now you cannot refer to the car as a "G" because it can be a Pontiac or Infiniti.
QX4 became QX56
"Q"-canned
FX-clearly RX derived
EX-sounds like a Honda trim level.

Not sure who works in their marketing department....

In general, its out of control. Mazda no longer uses names, as I stated, Pontiac. Scion used letter too, and figures one lowercase, one uppercase won't confuse people. Hyundai has a XG blah blah blah. Lincoln now uses MK whatever. Caddy dropped their names sans the Escalade.

Not sure what Lexus will do when they expand, can the Lexus BS be coming?

Add Audi, Benz, BMW coming out with new models everyday and its confusing to even car nuts like you and me.
Mazda3 --> M3 LOL.

the M30 was a sedan no? Based off the Gloria?

I do have to give props to Ford in being consistent in naming their SUV's and their car's until recently. Ford's SUV's are as follows:

Escape
Explorer
Expedition
Excursion

I know Ford has the Freestyle which is relatively new but it's been changed to the Taurus X. The pattern here is that all of their names start with E. Ford's vehicle model lineup was:

Focus
Fusion
Five Hundred

I know Ford also has the Crown Victoria but I didn't include that since it will be discontinued. The pattern here was that all of the car's names started with F then Ford re-named the Five Hundred to Taurus. Why??? Even though Ford re-named the Five Hundred a Taurus it will always be a Five Hundred to me no matter what...
What about Toyota?

Corolla, Crown, Camry, Cressida, Corona, Carina/Carina-E.
Old 11-27-07, 07:24 PM
Trexus

esp. with the new BMW 135i lol.

Mazda3 --> M3 LOL.

the M30 was a sedan no? Based off the Gloria?

What about Toyota?

Corolla, Crown, Camry, Cressida, Corona, Carina/Carina-E.
Don't forget the Century and Celica. Yes, Toyota has been pretty consistent when naming their cars...
Old 11-27-07, 11:10 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Don't forget the Century and Celica. Yes, Toyota has been pretty consistent when naming their cars...
oops. I forgot about those two, thanks!

Their small cars seem to be the odd bunch though.. Starlet, Tercel, Echo, Yaris/Vitz
Old 11-28-07, 08:20 AM
Trexus

oops. I forgot about those two, thanks!

Their small cars seem to be the odd bunch though.. Starlet, Tercel, Echo, Yaris/Vitz
No problem. I totally agree with you and I was thinking the same thing with Toyota's small cars. Don't forget the Paseo and in Japan it's called the Cynos. This brings up another thing. Some cars would have different names here in the U.S compared to Japan such as in the U.S we have the RAV-4 and recently in Japan it's called the Vanguard and so on...
Old 11-28-07, 08:39 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

No problem. I totally agree with you and I was thinking the same thing with Toyota's small cars. Don't forget the Paseo and in Japan it's called the Cynos. This brings up another thing. Some cars would have different names here in the U.S compared to Japan such as in the U.S we have the RAV-4 and recently in Japan it's called the Vanguard and so on...
xB = Corolla Rumion
Ist = xA/xD.

At least it's more or less the same vehicle rebadged and there's consistency. I think the Vanguard is a luxury RAV4 right?

Compare to Honda:

Euro Accord = TSX (yeah we know that) but then Gen 2 TL = Honda Inspire. (and the Gen 1 TL was the Honda Vigor) Yet when the new TL was introduced, it was meant for the US only so the US Accord becomes the new Inspire lol. Australia gets both the Honda Accord and Honda US Accord. I'm assuming they leave the letters U and S out of the badging.
Old 11-29-07, 07:44 PM
Trexus

I agree with Mike that Honda should name their cars with actual names and not alpha numberics or two or three letter acronyms, leave that to Acura. Acura should also introduce luxury hybrids that would keep Lexus on their toes. I wonder if Acura would bring a luxury hybrid to market would they use an h at the end of the model designation such as RDX h?
Old 11-29-07, 08:25 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with 1Sick about the name and Acura/Honda should keep the name like. Let's say we don't know anything about car and we're average Joe's.

Legend( the best name out there). If Acura keep this name and improve it from generation to generation I'm sure people would love to say I drive a Legend...period...,
Intregra, but now I don't know what model replace the Intregra..
Old 11-29-07, 11:01 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by VVT-i
I agree with 1Sick about the name and Acura/Honda should keep the name like. Let's say we don't know anything about car and we're average Joe's.

Legend( the best name out there). If Acura keep this name and improve it from generation to generation I'm sure people would love to say I drive a Legend...period...,
Intregra, but now I don't know what model replace the Intregra..
cause the geniuses at Acura Marketing didn't want people to say "I drive an Integra". They wanted people to say "I drive an Acura". I think they've achieved it with the RSX but at the same time lost the "halo" associated with the Integra name.

I agree with Mike that Honda should name their cars with actual names and not alpha numberics or two or three letter acronyms, leave that to Acura. Acura should also introduce luxury hybrids that would keep Lexus on their toes. I wonder if Acura would bring a luxury hybrid to market would they use an h at the end of the model designation such as RDX h?
so much for "Advance" when there aren't any hybrids (or clean diesels), proximity access (aka smart key) but they do have the Collision Mitigation System (only on the RL) and radar cruise control.