Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lease a Murano or a Passat?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-07, 11:37 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by rev1
Dude, if you lease the Passat, please make sure your lease duration does NOT outlast the bumper to bumper warranty. VW=low quality IMO. Check Edmunds and other sources for ratings.
Leases on new vehicles, in most cases, DON'T outlast the warranty. That's why I recommended the Passat, even with VW's well-known electrical problems. I would not have necesarily recommended a Passat as a first choice (there are other, more reliable mid-sized cars out there such as the Honda Accord, 4-cylinder Camry and Buick LaCrosse), but he and his wife had narrowed it down to either a Passat or a Murano....and I didn't think a Murano would be a particularly good choice, especially if they didn't need the interior room.
Old 11-21-07, 11:45 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Unfortunately, neither the murano or passat makes her "look" successful-my personal opinion from a self employed/professional point of view.
GS3Tek, I know you're a nice guy, and I'm not going to beat on you like some others did, but image gets a lot of people in trouble or making wrong decisions when they go to buy a vehicle. They wind up being more worried about what others think, or what is "chic", or whatever happens to be fashionable at the moment, than what best suits their needs....so they either buy more vehicle than what they need, or buy something to try and keep up with the Jonses (even if the Jonses are a** deep in debt).

Best advice is......and always will be.......never mind the Joneses. Buy or lease the vehicle you want or will best suit your needs. In fact, as far as "image" is concerned, many people will actually think MORE of you if they see that you are as sensible with hard-earned money at auto dealerships as you are in other places.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-21-07 at 11:52 AM.
Old 11-21-07, 12:16 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Interesting contrast of vehicle choices; both are definitely "chick cars!"

I'm not a huge fan of the Murano's styling, but that's personal preference. One thing to keep in mind is that there is a new Murano coming out next year, so the current body style will quickly look dated (look at last year's Altima compared to the new one). The Murano is a solid vehicle, but it does have a twinge of "Soccer Mom" to it.

Our Office Manager has a Passat. It's a nice looking car and the interior is very Audi-like, but it's been plagued with problems; power window switches have been replaced, there was a coolant leak, the ECU has gone into limp-home three times. It's never been a big deal because it's all been covered by warranty, but it seems like she's in a loaner car about three days a month. Just a heads-up on the Passat...

Honda Accord?
Old 11-22-07, 08:25 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

i say get the passat, it looks nice, and its german which means its awesome lol, well thats just my opinion
Old 11-22-07, 08:27 AM
LexFather

I am very curious to find out why the Murano lease is $100 more than the Passat. I thought it would be the other way around.

Old 11-22-07, 10:45 AM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by speedflex
Absolutely not true. The Murano has far more interior space than the Passat. We have one and the rear seat room is cavernous for rear passengers. Let them down and you have way more space than the Passat.

BTW, this choice seems apples to oranges to me.
I agree - it's more like, does she want a sedan or an SUV? My wife loves her SUV and I like my LS.. she doesn't care about the handling as much as being up higher.

We looked at a Murano when they first came out - I remember the back seats being quite spacious.
Old 11-22-07, 04:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
Interesting contrast of vehicle choices; both are definitely "chick cars!"
No. They are for ANYONE who wants to drive one.....chick or otherwise.

The Murano is a solid vehicle, but it does have a twinge of "Soccer Mom" to it.

Need I repeat myself? Again, they are for anyone who wants or needs one.....soccer mom or otherwise.

This "image" crap in the auto industry has gotten completely out of hand.
Old 11-22-07, 05:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
Our Office Manager has a Passat. It's a nice looking car and the interior is very Audi-like, but it's been plagued with problems; power window switches have been replaced, there was a coolant leak, the ECU has gone into limp-home three times. It's never been a big deal because it's all been covered by warranty, but it seems like she's in a loaner car about three days a month. Just a heads-up on the Passat...
Yes. Electrical problems like this are more or less typical of today's German-designed cars. Fortunately, that's what warranties are for (but, yes, I know......repairs still can be an inconvienence, warranty or not). VW, years ago had a 100,000 mile warranty on the drivetrain but only 2/24 on the whole vehicle. Fortunately, VW's bumper-to-bumper warranty has been vastly upgraded in the last several years.
Old 11-22-07, 05:14 PM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I had a 2007 VW passat for 2 weeks when my car was in the shop. My impressions of the car is that the vehicle is very nice. I loved the interior the gauges very nice layout and lighting the stereo was great for stock, MP3 playback an advantage over most others. I had the 2.0t had enough pep to get around the city, good mileage on the highway, very torquey. Loved the tranny very smooth. Seating position and visibilty as well as adjustability was great. A little oversteer due to being front wheel drive but nothing thats unexpected. Overall I liked the car. I've also driven the murano on multiple occasions and I dont particularly like it. It rides very rough the only comparision I can make is a car on cut shocks. The dash is dated as well as the interior components of the car are nothing to write about materials are sub par for what the car costs. If the choice is between the 2 car I would choose the passat cause for 2 weeks I put almost 2000 miles on it and I loved it.
Old 11-22-07, 05:18 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyder78
I had a 2007 VW passat for 2 weeks when my car was in the shop. My impressions of the car is that the vehicle is very nice. I loved the interior the gauges very nice layout and lighting the stereo was great for stock, MP3 playback an advantage over most others. I had the 2.0t had enough pep to get around the city, good mileage on the highway, very torquey. Loved the tranny very smooth. Seating position and visibilty as well as adjustability was great. A little oversteer due to being front wheel drive but nothing thats unexpected. Overall I liked the car. I've also driven the murano on multiple occasions and I dont particularly like it. It rides very rough the only comparision I can make is a car on cut shocks. The dash is dated as well as the interior components of the car are nothing to write about materials are sub par for what the car costs. If the choice is between the 2 car I would choose the passat cause for 2 weeks I put almost 2000 miles on it and I loved it.
You mean understeer?
Old 11-22-07, 05:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Spyder78
I had a 2007 VW passat for 2 weeks when my car was in the shop. A little oversteer due to being front wheel drive but nothing thats unexpected.
You mean understeer, don't you?
Oversteer is usually more a characteristic of RWD than FWD.

I've also driven the murano on multiple occasions and I dont particularly like it. It rides very rough the only comparision I can make is a car on cut shocks. The dash is dated as well as the interior components of the car are nothing to write about materials are sub par for what the car costs.
Basically, you're correct on the Murano on both counts.

It does ride a little stiffer than the average non-sports sedan, but that is more or less typical of high-stance SUV's, even car-based ones like the Murano.

And there is only one word to describe the Murano's dash and instrument cluster. That word is not "Dated". It is not "Inexpensive". No, the correct word is CHEAP.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-22-07 at 05:26 PM.
Old 11-22-07, 08:19 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
And there is only one word to describe the Murano's dash and instrument cluster. That word is not "Dated". It is not "Inexpensive". No, the correct word is CHEAP.
That's what you say. It's obvious through various posts that you don't like the car in any way, and that's ok. We shopped various crossovers for my wife before settling on the Murano. Yes, we liked the fact that it had style (unlike the offerings from Toyota and Honda) but I remember being surprised at the time over the many hard plastics in the other cars, particularly the 2005 Highlander.

With it we found the dials to be rather ugly and the dash to be almost completely comprised of hard plastics. The Murano, in comparison, had much more soft-touch materials and where it had real aluminum trim the Highlander had cheap-looking painted plastic. Design wise the Murano may not be everyone's cup of tea (but then anything with a definite identity instead of possessing generic blandness usually isn't), and while it is certainly not as well finished as the Passat, few cars are at the price, it's definitely not cheap in my book.

I'm still completely puzzled with the choice of these two vehicles anyway. The merits of any discussion here boils down simply to lease price since there's almost no sensible comparison between the two vehicles.
Old 11-22-07, 09:05 PM
LexFather

That's what you say. It's obvious through various posts that you don't like the car in any way, and that's ok. We shopped various crossovers for my wife before settling on the Murano. Yes, we liked the fact that it had style (unlike the offerings from Toyota and Honda) but I remember being surprised at the time over the many hard plastics in the other cars, particularly the 2005 Highlander.

With it we found the dials to be rather ugly and the dash to be almost completely comprised of hard plastics. The Murano, in comparison, had much more soft-touch materials and where it had real aluminum trim the Highlander had cheap-looking painted plastic. Design wise the Murano may not be everyone's cup of tea (but then anything with a definite identity instead of possessing generic blandness usually isn't), and while it is certainly not as well finished as the Passat, few cars are at the price, it's definitely not cheap in my book.

I'm still completely puzzled with the choice of these two vehicles anyway. The merits of any discussion here boils down simply to lease price since there's almost no sensible comparison between the two vehicles.
I think the Murano's exterior is quite nice and different in a sea of sameness. I do agree with MMarshall 100% though, the interior is quite frankly, just awful. Nissan addressed this it seems with the new Murano.

Clarkson actually really loves it, I believe he gave the truck 4 or 5 stars.

Old 11-22-07, 10:58 PM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You mean understeer, don't you?
Yes you are correct I did mean understeer. The only thing that i had a gripe with in the passat was how light the steering wheel felt but then again its not a sports car.
Old 11-23-07, 06:56 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

No. I am not biased....but I will be honest and say that it is not one of my favorite vehicles. And If you had read my posts on the matter, I said there were some good reasons to choose the Murano....it offered more interior space than the Passat, and was perhaps a better choice if people-moving or cargo-carrying was an issue....or if one needed AWD for traction (the Passat offers AWD as an option, but does not have the Murano's ground clearance).

But it is NOT being biased, at least IMO, to call parts of the Murano's interior (especially the dash and gauge panel) just what I feel they they are, a cheap, ugly collection of second, and even third-grade bargain-basement plastic. In fact, the Mickey-Mouse-Ear shaped pods that stick up from the dash and hold the speedo and tach are so flimsy that you can bend them back and forth with little effort.

But the rest of the vehicle is not bad at all. It drives, handles, and rides fairly well by car-based SUV standards.

So, like I said before, styling aside, (and styling is a personal matter....I won't get into that) it is a competent vehicle with un unacceptably cheap dash and gauge panel. If that offends you, I'm sorry, but I spent a whole morning reviewing this vehicle (by CL member request), and I'm not going to change my opinion. And even Nissan apparantly agrees with me.....like many of their other vehicles, they have promised better-quality Murano interiors in the future. And, with the other vehicles, they are starting to deliver....the Murano will probably be next.

However, having said that, if you, personally like the Murano's interior, I won't criticize your opinion. You, as a CL member, are entitled to it, and to post it.....and I congragulate you on your purchase, and wish you good luck with it, even if it is not my cup of tea. I don't want my mixed opinions of the vehicle, both good and bad, to cause any unnecessary friction between you and me.

I agree it is strange.....but if he and his wife have their reasons for that, I won't question that. They asked for a specific choice. They ask for other suggestions, we'll cross that that line when we come to it.

And, last, I agree with you that Nissan is not alone. Several other vehicles, lately, have shown a marked decline in interior quality as well.....the Toyota Camry and Tundra are two good examples.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-23-07 at 07:03 AM.

Quick Reply: Lease a Murano or a Passat?