Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lease a Murano or a Passat?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-07, 05:43 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Lease a Murano or a Passat?

Guys,

As I am sure you have read my other thread, we have narrowed it down to 2 vehicles.

1. Nissan Murano lease.
2. VW Passat lease.

I think she should go with the Murano, but she doesn't think the extra $100 is worth it. I was trying to find out the residual value of a new Murano vs. a Passat after a 3 year lease. I told her I believe the Passat will have a lower residual value than the Passat, so in all actuality the total cost won't be that different.

Does anyone know where you can find this information out? Any input/advice is always welcomed.

It is her money and her car, just want her to be as informed as possible

Regards,
Jonny
Old 11-20-07, 06:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I'm with your wife on this one. Unless, for some reason, you need the Murano's greater people and cargo-carrying ability (and she, of course, knows what she needs for groceries and shopping trips), the Passat will not only be far more pleasant to drive on a daily basis, but it doesn't have the higher-stance Murano's body roll and (IMO) goofy looks either. And the Passat's interior generally has better fit-and-finish, although I'm not quite as impressed with the new Passat's interior as with the last one. True, the Murano's AWD will be more surefooted in bad weather, but if that will be an issue, the Passat is also available with 4-Motion AWD, though it will be a more expensive vehicle than the FWD version and could affect the lease rate. Recent VW's, of course, have had well-known electrical problems, but, on a 2 or 3-year lease on a new car, any issues that do arise will be covered under warranty.
Old 11-20-07, 06:42 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

according to this, Honda & VW have the best resale value.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=318387

however, VW does not have any cars that would inetrest me so i would pick the Murano.
Old 11-20-07, 07:03 PM
MGS4
Lexus Test Driver

I'd go for Passat simply because it has DSG
Old 11-20-07, 07:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MGS4
I'd go for Passat simply because it has DSG
Great point, MGS4 ........I had completely forgotten that in my post above. The DSG is one of the sweetest transmissions in production today.
Old 11-20-07, 07:35 PM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

I don't think his wife/girlfriend really cares about DSG but I'd still go with the Passat. Why drive an SUV if you don't need it?
Old 11-21-07, 04:47 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

As long as she is going to take it in for all the unscheduled service appointments, go with the VW. Besides, the Murano design has been out for 5 years now, and isn't as fresh any more.
Old 11-21-07, 04:53 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by thetopdog
I don't think his wife/girlfriend really cares about DSG but I'd still go with the Passat. Why drive an SUV if you don't need it?
I agree the Passat is generally a better choice, though, of course, she would need to speak for herself on the transmission issue. Most women (and a lot of men) don't want to be pumping a clutch and manual shift lever up and down every three or four seconds in heavy traffic. That's why fewer and fewer vehicles still offer them. And the DSG is a sweet transmission no matter who is driving it.....male of female.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-21-07 at 04:58 AM.
Old 11-21-07, 05:03 AM
rev1
Driver School Candidate

Dude, if you lease the Passat, please make sure your lease duration does NOT outlast the bumper to bumper warranty. VW=low quality IMO. Check Edmunds and other sources for ratings.
Old 11-21-07, 05:57 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

That 30k service is going to be $$$ on the VW if she reaches that mileage point on the lease. If maintainence cost is not a factor to her, then I would go with the Passat.. Why not lease a BMW 328i Sedan? Zero maintainence costs that will exceed the lease term, loaner car (since she is a busy professional)... Great lease deals right now for the 328i at $299 per month with zero down.. What are the lease deals on the Murano & Passat?
Old 11-21-07, 06:50 AM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I agree the Passat is generally a better choice, though, of course, she would need to speak for herself on the transmission issue. Most women (and a lot of men) don't want to be pumping a clutch and manual shift lever up and down every three or four seconds in heavy traffic. That's why fewer and fewer vehicles still offer them. And the DSG is a sweet transmission no matter who is driving it.....male of female.
What I meant is that his wife will probably not know the difference (or care about the difference) between a DSG and a conventional auto, or even a CVT since I think the Murano offers one. The DSG is a great transmission for enthusiasts (although I still prefer a stick) but it doesn't make much of a difference to anybody else
Old 11-21-07, 09:34 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Why not lease a BMW 328i Sedan? Zero maintainence costs that will exceed the lease term, loaner car (since she is a busy professional)... Great lease deals right now for the 328i at $299 per month with zero down.. What are the lease deals on the Murano & Passat?
I agree with DASH.
A bmw is perfect and esp. being in real estate, you want a nice vehicle to take your client in and a good "first impression."
Just make sure she doesn't rack up the mileage too much.

Unfortunately, neither the murano or passat makes her "look" successful-my personal opinion from a self employed/professional point of view.
Old 11-21-07, 10:35 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the new passat!
get it get it get it..
murano doesn't have that much space in side anyway,
but you can't go wrong on both, my friend bought a murano last year, and is very happy about it too.
Old 11-21-07, 10:43 AM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
I agree with DASH.
Unfortunately, neither the murano or passat makes her "look" successful-my personal opinion from a self employed/professional point of view.

I can't believe people actually think like this. Buying a Murano or a Passat might not make you look rich, but it certainly doesn't make you look poor. It makes you look like somebody that doesn't want to waste money on a car. The (multi-millionaire) owner of my company drives a 'non-luxury' mid-sized SUV and I bought a loaded Corvette after working at his company for 6 months, what can you tell about success from our cars?

There's nothing a typical real estate agent can do with a 3-Series that they can't do with a Passat. I wouldn't be surprised if the Passat had more features and comfort (not to mention room) than a base 328i. It's not like she's going for a beat-up Sentra or Jetta.

If you want to impress people with your car, you might as well do it right and get a 7-Series or S-Class. A 3-Series (short of an M3) is not really impressing anybody.
Old 11-21-07, 11:24 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by blacksc400
murano doesn't have that much space in side anyway,
Absolutely not true. The Murano has far more interior space than the Passat. We have one and the rear seat room is cavernous for rear passengers. Let them down and you have way more space than the Passat.

BTW, this choice seems apples to oranges to me.

Quick Reply: Lease a Murano or a Passat?