Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2008 Detroit Auto Show production debuts?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-07, 07:16 AM
xcntuatd77
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Detroit Auto Show production debuts?

Does anyone know for sure what world introductions/all new production debuts will take place at Detroit?

I am debating whether or not to attend again depending on what exciting cars are to be revealed.

thanks!
Old 11-21-07, 12:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Here's the most up-to-date info I could find:

The 2008 show will be held from January 13 through January 27.

January 13-15 — Press days
January 16-17 — Industry days
January 18 — Charity preview
January 19-27 — Open to the public

Production car introductions

2009 Cadillac CTS-V [1]
2009 Chevrolet Corvette ZR-1 [2]
2009 Chevrolet Traverse
2009 Hyundai Genesis
2009 Kia Borrego [3]

Concept car introductions

Audi A7 Concept
Chrysler ecoVoyager [4]
Dodge ZEO
Jeep Renegade
Nissan Forum [5

(I'll spare you guys my usual b**ching this time on all the vehicles introduced there that should be introduced at other shows...I've done enough of that in other threads )

I won't be there......the tail end of the Detroit show will overlap part of the Washington D.C. Show, which I attend every year.....for 3 or 4 days. The D.C show is a real show now.....it is now considered the 3rd most important American show, behind Detroit and L.A.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-22-07 at 06:16 AM.
Old 11-21-07, 08:54 PM
xcntuatd77
Lead Lap

I rememebr somewhere I read the next Infiniti Q concept was supposed to be shown here as well. But i dont knwo if it was speculation or indeed true.
Old 11-22-07, 06:14 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Even though I didn't see them on the list, I wouldn't be surprised to see some upcoming Chinese makes there (I'm eagerly waiting to review and test-drive some, not possible at shows), the new as-yet-unnamed Cadillac sedan that is supposed to take the place of both the DTS and STS sedan, the new Hyundai Tiburon (if the Tiburon will be continued along with the new larger coupe), and, of course, the new intros that were already seen at the L.A. show.
Old 11-22-07, 06:51 AM
Tekknikal
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The D.C show is a real show now.....it is now considered the 3rd most important American show, behind Detroit and L.A.
DC > NYIAS???
Old 11-22-07, 07:16 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tekknikal
DC > NYIAS???
Yeah I was gonna say...don't think so.
Old 11-22-07, 07:54 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tekknikal
DC > NYIAS???
Yes and no. In the past, the D.C Show was clearly second-rate. It was held during the Christmas-New Year's week, when Congress (and many other local residents) were out of town, you rarely if ever saw any new real introductions (although Mercedes at one time chose that show to introduce its first 300TD wagon).

But that began to change.....and change BIG......about 4 or 5 years ago. A new, much larger Convention Center was built, the show was rescheduled from Christmas-New Year's to the end of January so it was no longer the last major show of the year (now it is one of the first), and higher-ranking people from corporate headquarters started to attend (still not like Detroit, though).
Unlike the past, Congress is also in town now for the show.....many Senators and Representatives attend, and their presence is wanted there because Congress, of course, makes many of the laws that govern the industry. The DOT, EPA, and NHTSA government agencies that enforce those regulations are also nearby....in fact, just a couple of blocks away.

It also makes sense from a local auto marketing perspective. The D.C.-Baltimore area is now the second-largest market in the country for new vehicles. This area sells SIX times the number of new cars each year that the Detroit area (with the largest show) does....and has the second-worst traffic congestion. The enormous L.A.-SoCal area, of course, the acknowledged center of the country's car culture, sells the most.......ten times the number of cars Detroit does. It also has the worst trafic congestion by far.

So, to directly address your question, how does New York fit into this? New York, of course, is a huge city, and has a greater population than the DC-Baltimore area, but the population is not nearly as car-centered as the D.C. region or SoCal. Believe it or not, more new cars are sold here each year than in the New York City area. NYC's enormous public-transit system, MUCH larger than any transit system here in the DC area, carries a huge number of the area's residents, and is making the automobile....and the local NYC Auto Show.....of less comparative importance than either the DC Show or the L.A. show. Besides, many of the new intros that are shown at the NY show have been first displayed now at L.A., Detroit, and D.C....the NY show is usually not until April.

Now that is not to say that the NYC show is a has-been. It clearly is not. Like Detroit, L.A., Tokyo, Geneva, Paris, Frankfurt, and (newly) the D.C. Show, it clearly is a Class A show. But its former greater importance than the D.C. show has clearly diminished.

But, partly my fault, we got a little off-topic here. Back to the Detroit Show.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-22-07 at 08:13 AM.