Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

When is the E92 M3 arriving (to first orders) in the US?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-07, 11:22 AM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When is the E92 M3 arriving (to first orders) in the US?

And if I get in line right now, how long will I have to wait? BTW does anyone know if the SMG (or DCT) will be available at that time?
Old 11-22-07, 11:30 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

6-speed manual to start - availability starting in spring 08 I believe. You really don't want a first year BMW... actually, I don't recommend a first year car of any mfg these days. I'd shoot for the 2nd year of production (and I might just do that myself).
Old 11-23-07, 07:12 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

They are taking too long ala Lexus
Old 11-23-07, 07:30 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

dual clutch is going to replace the SMG on the M3
Old 11-23-07, 04:53 PM
Namir
Lead Lap

Yea i second what doug said, you really don't want a first year BMW. The M3 is going to be sick but it'll be riddled with little problems like everyone of their first year cars. 335i is a great example of that..
As far as delivery, my local BMW store said they start to roll in around februrary or march, but the first 8 are already spoken for, at least here. I wouldn't be surprised if it took as late as may or june to get your hands on one. But honestly I think the guys over at e90post would know alot more than i do, I would recommend checking out their threads on the m3.

PS. wait and get a GTR if you can
Old 11-24-07, 12:43 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think a lot of them will be pre-sold anyway so you may end up waiting even longer, even if you get on a list now as by this time, you'll most likely be no where near the top of anyone's list... As it has already been said, I'd wait for a second year car, especially for a car like this IMO, I'd wait to see that all the little bugs have been worked out.
Old 11-24-07, 09:24 AM
KINGLEX
Driver

please keep in mind that the m3 is already on sale in europe so it would have been on sale well over six months before it gets here. i think that is enough time to work out the kinks. also remember it is based on a car in production for a few years. the v8 is based off of the v10 found in the m5 and m6. if u r buying any m car for it's reliability then that is what should be questioned. remember an m can't be cpo'd that says a lot. now go place an order!

King Bimmer
Old 11-24-07, 12:26 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by KINGLEX
please keep in mind that the m3 is already on sale in europe so it would have been on sale well over six months before it gets here. i think that is enough time to work out the kinks. also remember it is based on a car in production for a few years. the v8 is based off of the v10 found in the m5 and m6. if u r buying any m car for it's reliability then that is what should be questioned. remember an m can't be cpo'd that says a lot. now go place an order!

King Bimmer
While I've heard that M vehicles can not be cpo'd - a quick check of BMW's website shows no mention of this. You can search for certified pre-owned M cars and the brochure not only mentions M models, it has a picture of the M3!

So I think that they actually can be cpo'd.

That said - BMW is not likely to make mid-year changes and the first year cars (even when they are introduced in Europe first). Thus first year BMWs tend to have a LOT more issues than second/third/fourth year cars. The 545 is a great example of this - you don't want a 2004 for not only reliability reasons but because early versions of the car do not support things like playing MP3s......
Old 11-24-07, 05:33 PM
KINGLEX
Driver

Originally Posted by doug_999
While I've heard that M vehicles can not be cpo'd - a quick check of BMW's website shows no mention of this. You can search for certified pre-owned M cars and the brochure not only mentions M models, it has a picture of the M3!

So I think that they actually can be cpo'd.

That said - BMW is not likely to make mid-year changes and the first year cars (even when they are introduced in Europe first). Thus first year BMWs tend to have a LOT more issues than second/third/fourth year cars. The 545 is a great example of this - you don't want a 2004 for not only reliability reasons but because early versions of the car do not support things like playing MP3s......

go to bmwusa and search for an m car the only cars that u will get is e 46 m3's and m roadsters. starting with the e60 m cars are not cpo'd.

your logic relating to the m3 is flawed, because it is based on an existing model, andas u point out with the 545 they changed the tcu starting in March of 2004. my 545i with a production date of 6/04 plays mp3's and has bluetooth, so they do make changes mid model year. i have yet to see any concrete data showing that the 1st model year has more problems. please direct me to this data. my 2004 is problem free as is evident in my service history. owning is believing. i speak from experience, not what i read on the internet.

Last edited by KINGLEX; 11-24-07 at 05:37 PM.
Old 11-24-07, 05:52 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

go to bmwusa and search for an m car the only cars that u will get is e 46 m3's and m roadsters. starting with the e60 m cars are not cpo'd.

your logic relating to the m3 is flawed, because it is based on an existing model, andas u point out with the 545 they changed the tcu starting in March of 2004. my 545i with a production date of 6/04 plays mp3's and has bluetooth, so they do make changes mid model year. i have yet to see any concrete data showing that the 1st model year has more problems. please direct me to this data. my 2004 is problem free as is evident in my service history. owning is believing. i speak from experience, not what i read on the internet.
While they did make changes to the TCU, the reliability data for the 04 is dismal - you and I both know this. Check CR if you don't believe me or hang out on the boards. Oh and the key to the left of the z on your keyboard is called Shift...try using it, your posts become more readable and you might even get some credibility here.

PS - while the e60 M5 may not be CPOd, why does that mean the new M3 will not be CPOd? Splain please.
Old 11-24-07, 06:01 PM
KINGLEX
Driver

While they did make changes to the TCU, the reliability data for the 04 is dismal - you and I both know this. Check CR if you don't believe me or hang out on the boards. Oh and the key to the left of the z on your keyboard is called Shift...try using it, your posts become more readable and you might even get some credibility here.

PS - while the e60 M5 may not be CPOd, why does that mean the new M3 will not be CPOd? Splain please.
ok i'll splain. no m since the e46 has been allowed to be cpo'd. the pattern is quite evident. the e39 m5 could be cpo'd. they made changes to the tcu on the e60 to include bluetooth connectivity. i am a member of bimmerfest, e60.net, and e46fanatics. so i am on the forums. what specific reliability issues are you talking about? my 545 stay's motoring and i have HUD, Active steering, and Nav, so there is a whole lot to go wrong.

-King Bimmer
Old 11-24-07, 08:30 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

ok i'll splain. no m since the e46 has been allowed to be cpo'd. the pattern is quite evident. the e39 m5 could be cpo'd. they made changes to the tcu on the e60 to include bluetooth connectivity. i am a member of bimmerfest, e60.net, and e46fanatics. so i am on the forums. what specific reliability issues are you talking about? my 545 stay's motoring and i have HUD, Active steering, and Nav, so there is a whole lot to go wrong.

-King Bimmer
Funny, and yet the M Coupe and Roadster (Z4) are both able to be certified? Here I thought they came out after the M3?

Turns out that CR says the 04 5 series (6) has better overall reliability than the 05 and 06 (yet somehow they now recommend the 6-cyl). Either way, no need to argue, if you really are on those boards, you know the issues that 04 owners face - my neighbor had his 04 in the shop over 15 times - many times for software updates. Yes at the end of the day with the software updates (if they are available and they were NOT available for the early builds as you have pointed out) you get a car updated - alas, the early buyers of the 545 could not get those upgrades and still got to bring their car in repeatedly). Was it worth the hassle? Or maybe it made more sense to wait a year (as you did) and get a better car? Oh wait, maybe you know someone who purchased a 2002 745? That was a highly technical car with loads of issues -including dealers faced with technology they have never dealt with.

The point stands - it is always better to wait a year - even if you are buying a Lexus. The car coming out 6 months earlier in Europe does not help the buyers here -who have different options and different dealers.
Old 11-25-07, 05:17 AM
KINGLEX
Driver

Funny, and yet the M Coupe and Roadster (Z4) are both able to be certified? Here I thought they came out after the M3?

Turns out that CR says the 04 5 series (6) has better overall reliability than the 05 and 06 (yet somehow they now recommend the 6-cyl). Either way, no need to argue, if you really are on those boards, you know the issues that 04 owners face - my neighbor had his 04 in the shop over 15 times - many times for software updates. Yes at the end of the day with the software updates (if they are available and they were NOT available for the early builds as you have pointed out) you get a car updated - alas, the early buyers of the 545 could not get those upgrades and still got to bring their car in repeatedly). Was it worth the hassle? Or maybe it made more sense to wait a year (as you did) and get a better car? Oh wait, maybe you know someone who purchased a 2002 745? That was a highly technical car with loads of issues -including dealers faced with technology they have never dealt with.

The point stands - it is always better to wait a year - even if you are buying a Lexus. The car coming out 6 months earlier in Europe does not help the buyers here -who have different options and different dealers.
u r missing my main point. the new m3 is based on a car that came out in 2006. so while when it hits the US in the spring it will be new to us, but it can't be compared to the e60 or e65, which were entirely new models. that is like viewing an LCI e60 as an entirely new model. i guess using your logic it is better to wait till the end of the model cycle to buy the m3 because by then it won't have any problems. so your advice should be to buy an 06 e46 m3 over an e92 m3
Old 11-25-07, 09:19 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

u r missing my main point. the new m3 is based on a car that came out in 2006. so while when it hits the US in the spring it will be new to us, but it can't be compared to the e60 or e65, which were entirely new models. that is like viewing an LCI e60 as an entirely new model. i guess using your logic it is better to wait till the end of the model cycle to buy the m3 because by then it won't have any problems. so your advice should be to buy an 06 e46 m3 over an e92 m3
Not at all - but the longer you wait the more issues they work out (hey even the 7-series is now recommended by CR). I'm just recommending to wait until the second year of the car if someone wants to cut down on the number of issues they might/will have.