Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Next generation BMW 7-Series details starting to leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-07, 03:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
I agree. I do however applaud Nissan and Toyota for stepping up to the plate and providing high performance engines that *also* get good fuel economy. The IS-F's engine comes to mind, as does the G37's engine.
.........as do some hybrid powertrains as well. Some of them are now performance-oriented.
Old 11-24-07, 09:27 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_999
That's direct injection at play....(at least for the Toyota products)....
At least BMW has had Valvetronic for a one and double VANOS. Two things Toyota just recently launched in their engines. (Valvematic and dual VVT-i respectively.)
Old 11-24-07, 10:09 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Nextourer
At least BMW has had Valvetronic for a one and double VANOS. Two things Toyota just recently launched in their engines. (Valvematic and dual VVT-i respectively.)
AFAIK, double vanos is a copy of Honda's VTEK, just like the VVTi is.
Old 11-24-07, 10:17 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Most of all with the new 7-series, I hope that the first car to introduce the I-Drive will now be the first one to get rid if it.
Somebody had to say it!

IMO that system will not be missed. However, they should replace it with something that is simplified and streamlined, just not maddening!
Old 11-24-07, 10:28 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Och

Honda's VTEC engages at a certain RPM where as the VVTi system is enabled depending on the oil pressure level. Both of these systems only control the intake valve side. BMW's double vanos operate on both the intake and exhaust side of the cylinder head, and the lift and duration varies depending on the throttle position and revs.

They have the same function, but the design itself are not copies at all.
Old 11-24-07, 11:10 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well if the 7 goes FI like the 3 and 5 than fuel economy will definitely improve. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the N54 has a very good mpg to power ratio in relation to its competition, no?

Oh, and not to go off topic; but the VQ is notorious for poor consumption; even the G37 which finally got variable valve timing is among the lowest mpg in it's class. Blame the lack of direct injection for that.
Old 11-25-07, 12:12 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Nextourer
And without Valvematic, Toyota/Lexus engines still have better economy...... Imagine the possibilities when it is applied to the 2GR and 2UR engines.

Originally Posted by Och
Valvetronic in NOT a copy of Vtec, nor is VVTi. Of that group VVTi and [i]Vtec are the most similar, but all are implemented in different ways and valvetronic w/ VANOS is quite a bit more advanced than VTEC.
Old 11-25-07, 08:39 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

That's direct injection at play....(at least for the Toyota products)....
Far more than direct injection at play, especially with the IS-F's engine. For one thing, the IS-F engine has a super-light valvetrain, much lighter than any other Lexus engine. Other automakers use gasoline direct injection too, but they can't seem to achieve high performance and good fuel economy at the same time.

Originally Posted by picus
Well if the 7 goes FI like the 3 and 5 than fuel economy will definitely improve. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the N54 has a very good mpg to power ratio in relation to its competition, no?

Oh, and not to go off topic; but the VQ is notorious for poor consumption; even the G37 which finally got variable valve timing is among the lowest mpg in it's class. Blame the lack of direct injection for that.
Yes, the N54 does get very good mpg for it's power output. We shall see how the competition responds.

The VQ *was* notorious for poor fuel consumption, but the newest VQ (in the G37) changes that. It uses VVEL which is basically an electronically-controlled valve lift system that does a similar function as Valvetronic, except it's more reliable and can withstand higher RPMs. Toyota has their own system (Valvematic) and Honda is due to release their system (A-VTEC) in 2009. These systems increase HP and fuel economy at the same time.

The VQ engines for years now have had variable valve timing. You got confused with variable valve lift.

FYI, the G37's fuel economy is very close to the IS350 despite being more powerful, having slightly higher curb weight, and using 5 speed auto compared to IS350's 6 speed.

Originally Posted by MR_F1
And without Valvematic, Toyota/Lexus engines still have better economy...... Imagine the possibilities when it is applied to the 2GR and 2UR engines.
Valvematic will have an even greater benefit when combined with direct injection.
Old 11-25-07, 09:09 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by encore888
Somebody had to say it!

IMO that system will not be missed. However, they should replace it with something that is simplified and streamlined, just not maddening!
Guys, I don't see BMW getting rid of I-Drive in the near future. Improving it yes, getting rid of it no - the fact is OWNERS like it!
Old 11-25-07, 09:14 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MR_F1
They do? Can you provide specifics please?
Old 11-25-07, 09:16 AM
LOL!
Lead Lap

Guys, I don't see BMW getting rid of I-Drive in the near future. Improving it yes, getting rid of it no - the fact is OWNERS like it!
Exactly. I think it's great...it might take time getting used to but myself and other owners like it.
Old 11-25-07, 10:00 AM
cjf_moraga
Rookie

Nothing wrong conceptually with the concept of a unified controller - just the execution of iDrive is very non-intuitive to most... (It certainly was when I used it) The price for BMW of being a pioneer... The new Mercedes controller in my S600 is far easier to use... I think they got the balance right...

...interesting looking at all the manufacturers at the SF Autoshow the other day... Lexus is starting to stand out as the main luxury manufacturer that has not implemented anything like this... Given the sheer amount of functionalty available the LS looks somewhat anachronistic with all the buttons and switches all over the place... (IMO of course)

Worst execution must be Infiniti where you have to physically stretch to the dash to use the rotary controller... In that sense BMW/Mercedes/Audi are superior ergonomically in that the controller is immediately under-hand while you are in a relaxed position... Though Lexus has the touch screen I also find that ergonomically awkward to lean over to touch on our RX330...

Chris
Old 11-25-07, 10:59 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I believe most of what BMW is claiming but if they claim the new 7 will be better than the LS600h and cheaper, I will not believe it is cheaper because BMW is most definitely always more expensive than Lexus.
Old 11-25-07, 11:39 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
FYI, the G37's fuel economy is very close to the IS350 despite being more powerful, having slightly higher curb weight, and using 5 speed auto compared to IS350's 6 speed.
Is that real world or manufacturer reported? Just wondering, afaik the G37 owners are getting 17-21mpg or so, sometimes less, very rarely more.
Old 11-25-07, 11:46 AM
RFFG
Lexus Test Driver

Interesting...let's wait and see...

Quick Reply: Next generation BMW 7-Series details starting to leak