Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Next generation BMW 7-Series details starting to leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-07, 02:48 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by picus
Is that real world or manufacturer reported? Just wondering, afaik the G37 owners are getting 17-21mpg or so, sometimes less, very rarely more.
That is based on the revised 2008 EPA ratings, apples to apples. IS350 gets 18/25 mpg while G37 gets 18/24 (when comparing auto to auto). Manual G37 gets 17/26.

Fuel economy is not equal, but it's close. If the G37 had a 6 speed auto I'm guessing fuel economy would be roughly equal.
Old 11-26-07, 01:06 PM
josephlee
Driver

haha...does that mean the twin turbo will give 1000hp???? hahaha
Old 12-01-07, 04:14 PM
movin_up
Driver

I'm interested to see what they come up with next. I have a current generation 7-series and absolutely love it. I've driven Lexus LS models and they don't hold a candle to the BMW's drive IMO. Not to say the Lexus isn't nice, I mean the 600h is ridiculous, but there is no denying the BMW's performance capabilities, especially for it's weight class.

I guess I'm somewhat biased, but being the owner of a 7-series I feel that I should atleast point out that the BMW is built to drive. Absolutely 0 body roll below 40mph... I can't even say that about my 300ZX with suspension mods.

But I digress, I absolutely love the LS600h L, but with a base price of $103,000 it's a bit of a stretch and I enjoy the drive of the BMW much more.
Old 12-01-07, 04:52 PM
movin_up
Driver

Originally Posted by ksxxsk
Zero body roll? What kind of a 7-series do you have?

I drove a 750i and the body would roll if I farted the wrong way. That thing seriously drives like a boat. I can't imagine what the long-wheelbase version feels like. The soft-touch buttons were cool though. A little weird to get used to at first.
Really, what year? Mine is an '02 745Li.
Old 12-01-07, 09:09 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Zero body roll? What kind of a 7-series do you have?

I drove a 750i and the body would roll if I farted the wrong way. That thing seriously drives like a boat. I can't imagine what the long-wheelbase version feels like. The soft-touch buttons were cool though. A little weird to get used to at first.
750i drives like a boat? Were you drinking?
Old 12-02-07, 07:16 AM
movin_up
Driver

2005 I believe

No. Does it really drive well? I mean, the car just felt like a massive boat to me. It had a floating feeling on the road--supple but definitely not like a BMW.

I remember driving an X5 once and being impressed by how well that handled for an SUV.
My '88 Crown Vic had a floating feeling, not so much with the BMW, haha. To be honest, it doesn't feel as connected with the road as I expected, but once you get used to not having that feedback in the wheel you realize that there's not much out there that is more connected than that car. You can push it to it's limits while holding the wheel with 2 fingers, which gives it it's big car feel, but it's certainly not "floaty" in the same way a Lincoln Town Car is. It is floaty in a way that you feel like you're not even touching the road because you rarely feel a bump at highway cruising speeds.

When it comes down to it, the feel of the car is actually similar to the Lexus LS models. However, once you realize that there's more going on in that car than you'll ever know (active stability control to eliminate body roll, 2 different traction control systems that actualy work AND let you accelerate hard!) you learn that this "boat" can be driven more like an M3 (which it actually out-performed on various handling tests) than your grandmother's Cadillac.

And I know I'm probably going to be asked about the M3 comment, so I'm trying to find the article now, haha. I know when I was first looking at the 745Li I read something about it pulling more G's on the skidpad than the M3 and I think it out-performed it on the slalom as well.

Last edited by movin_up; 12-02-07 at 07:19 AM.