Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Next generation BMW 7-Series details starting to leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-07, 09:31 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Next generation BMW 7-Series details starting to leak

Now that the X6 concept is out the door, the next vehicle slated for introduction from BMW is the next 7-Series and we’re hearing rumors that it could come as early as the 2008 Geneva auto show in March.

Sources tell the Spies that the next generation will stick to the BMW formula of an evolutionary exterior design change coming after a radical design change like the current model.

If you're hoping for something totally different, you've got another 5-6 year wait.

What WILL be radically different though from the current car is the interior dash layout and control center.

Look for the most sophisticated gadgetry, like night vision 3.0, more exterior cameras than cars should be allowed to have that will survey the perimeter plus secure the car and the most amazing radar cruise control on the planet.

We also hear they have teamed up with a 'Levinson-like' company to bring the next generation of audio/video amazement to the luxury set.

The 7 will also finally get a panoramic roof option ala Mercedes S-Class and the interior material quality will make an Audi A8 look like a Chevy Cavalier.

Well, maybe not that much better but it will be the best in BMW history.

An all new suspension system is being readied and it is supposed to be even more amazing than what's on the market today.

More luxury amenities than humans should be allowed to have are in the mix AND...

The big surprises?

Besides a twin-turbo, 500hp starting base engine?

How about a hybrid version that bests the Lexus LS600h....for LESS money.

The high end luxury segment is going to get even MORE exciting...VERY soon!
http://www.autospies.com/news/Next-g...details-23546/
Old 11-24-07, 09:38 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly, give me a break. I bet it's going to be faster than an Enzo, have more interior space than a Suburban, and also be more fuel efficient than the Prius, and obviously more reliable than a Corolla too.

Old 11-24-07, 10:24 AM
rfx45
Lexus Test Driver

I'll believe it when I see it.
Old 11-24-07, 10:38 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One thing they make a hybrid version Lexus would have to drop the cost on the LS h for sure.

Harman owns ML. Which in turns owns also Lexicon, which is found in Rolls Royce (to my knowledge). So I guess BMW going to use Lexicon. So they can compete with Lexus Mark Levinson.
Old 11-24-07, 10:53 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

500hp base engine sounds like a reeeeaaallly, reeeaaaallly loooooonng stretch.

Furthermore, I honestly thing right now, that manufacturers need to focus on taking the weight down and not taking the power up. Seriously. Power levels now are adecuate in pretty much every class.
Old 11-24-07, 11:50 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Honestly, give me a break. I bet it's going to be faster than an Enzo, have more interior space than a Suburban, and also be more fuel efficient than the Prius, and obviously more reliable than a Corolla too.

QFT.

These rumours sound like a whole lot of hype and hot air and not enough substance. Besides, most of the other rumours were that the 7 Series was getting a 400HP twin turbo 4L V8, *not* a 500HP unit.

The best interior in BMW history? We'll see.
Old 11-24-07, 12:30 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JessePS
Harman owns ML. Which in turns owns also Lexicon, which is found in Rolls Royce (to my knowledge). So I guess BMW going to use Lexicon. So they can compete with Lexus Mark Levinson.
Harman is also the maker of the Logic 7 system that is currently in the 7-series. So their "Levinson-like" comment makes even less sense!
Old 11-24-07, 12:48 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

"Sources tell the Spies that the next generation will stick to the BMW formula of an evolutionary exterior design change coming after a radical design change like the current model."

I've never liked the look of the current 7-series at all. I'm sure everything else about the car is good and all but the exterior looks rather boring to me. Maybe BMW does better with the next gen.
Old 11-24-07, 01:11 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Actually IMO the interior needs work. Good to hear that will be changed. Competition is good.
Old 11-24-07, 02:07 PM
LetMeShowU
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MR_F1
500hp base engine sounds like a reeeeaaallly, reeeaaaallly loooooonng stretch.

Furthermore, I honestly thing right now, that manufacturers need to focus on taking the weight down and not taking the power up. Seriously. Power levels now are adecuate in pretty much every class.
Power levels are more than adequate and have been for a couple of years now. Fuel efficiency must be the #1 priority right now for automakers. Instead of impressing the general public with hp numbers, they should be working on impressing us with mpg numbers.

Anyway, BMW is going to be improving their interiors? Good. Cuz they have the ugliest and most boring looking insides of any luxury brand out there and desperately need improvement.
Old 11-24-07, 02:24 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
The best interior in BMW history? We'll see.
this really isnt much of a brag to begin with
Old 11-24-07, 02:56 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I want the 7-Series to have the same dramatic change that the LS430 went through.

Only time will tell if (a) BMW is capable of a design and engineering change (which they definately are cabable) AND (b) have the technologically savvy to be both breakthrough and reliable, AND (c) still be cheaper than the LS600h considering that the Euro is sooo high compared to the U.S. Dollar.
Old 11-24-07, 03:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Most of all with the new 7-series, I hope that the first car to introduce the I-Drive will now be the first one to get rid if it.

(OK, doug999 and genearch, you two can beat me over the head for that comment......I've got my helmet on)
Old 11-24-07, 03:36 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LetMeShowU
Power levels are more than adequate and have been for a couple of years now. Fuel efficiency must be the #1 priority right now for automakers. Instead of impressing the general public with hp numbers, they should be working on impressing us with mpg numbers.

Anyway, BMW is going to be improving their interiors? Good. Cuz they have the ugliest and most boring looking insides of any luxury brand out there and desperately need improvement.
I agree. I do however applaud Nissan and Toyota for stepping up to the plate and providing high performance engines that *also* get good fuel economy. The IS-F's engine comes to mind, as does the G37's engine.
Old 11-24-07, 03:44 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
I agree. I do however applaud Nissan and Toyota for stepping up to the plate and providing high performance engines that *also* get good fuel economy. The IS-F's engine comes to mind, as does the G37's engine.
That's direct injection at play....(at least for the Toyota products)....

Quick Reply: Next generation BMW 7-Series details starting to leak