Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2008 Accord Cpe V6 VS Camry SE V6

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-07, 10:15 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've seen several Accord sedans on the road and I think they are UGLY. Though the coupe looks very nice.

I find the review weird because they are always ******* Toyota for its handling problems vs the Accord; and now it comes out and wins in that department and they make no real mention of it :shrug:
Old 11-26-07, 10:24 PM
PhantomZX
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think the transmission flare problems on the Camry V6 have been fixed yet - go to toyotanation.com to do some reading. I've been overall pretty disappointed at Toyota's quality recently.
Old 11-26-07, 10:33 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Bean

I find the review weird because they are always ******* Toyota for its handling problems vs the Accord; and now it comes out and wins in that department and they make no real mention of it :shrug:
That argument held true for the previous generations, but this time Toyota actually stiffened up the chassis/suspension and added larger sway bars. Honda never had a sports package. One thing for sure though, it's easier to mod your car to handle better, but its a lot harder get the steering feel you want.
Old 11-27-07, 05:25 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jdoggg1
Mazda... i'm still really nervous about mazda after a series of relibility problems my my RX-7. Their current cars lack some refinement.

Altima... it's ok, but i hear the CVT tranny is very prone to problems. The nice thing is that i could get a V6 thats not all decked out so i could save on $$... but resale will take a hit by comparison to honda/toyota.

Malibu... yea, great reviews, but initial quality tests are worthless IMO. You have to earn a reputation for quality/refinement, and GM hasn't done that for me yet. If this car came out 2 years ago and had a good track record, i'd consider it.
But, without a rotary engine, do you really think the Mazda will be unreliable?
Old 11-27-07, 05:31 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

How is it more advanced? Theyre basically mirror images for HP curves.

My criteria are:

-Not obnoxious to insure, ie the IS300

-220+ HP... so V6 for the most part, i want a noticeable boost from my 96 integra LS manual tranny, which is why i need tons more HP in the Auto tranny (motorcycle injury necessitates an auto )

-27+ freeway MPG

-Prefer to spend ~25k... i just really like the accord COUPE V6... but that sticker price is killing it for me

-Not bland/monotonous... LE camry= too vanilla, and most US brands lack a quality feel on the interior... i feel that way from experience, not internet reading

Also... just remember, i'm not considering the Accord sedan, only the coupe. The sedan is ugly IMO, but the coupe is hot... weirdhow they differ so
Only YOU can decide which of these aspects you are willing to compromise on. If you wait it out a few months, you may find better deals on the Accord. The TSX suggestion seems to be a good one--I bet there's fantastic year-end deals on those, but you'd have to scale back on the HP requirement. Plus, it'll be redesigned soon, which will impact resale.

What about the Saturn Aura? Now that it's been out for a while, the reliability surveys have more meaning than the new Malibu. You can get it with a V6, and IMO, it's a pretty nice looking car.
Old 11-27-07, 09:04 AM
LexFather

You can get deals on Accords and Camry's, dealers are dealing, its the end of the year. I saw LX Accords for $259 a month with $2800 out the door..national sale.

Old 11-27-07, 04:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Here.........see if this will help you make a choice. By request, I reviewed an automatic Accord coupe EX-L V6 in October and a Camry SE V6 automatic in July.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...w+accord+coupe

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ta+camry+se+v6
Old 11-27-07, 04:04 PM
Shoyuu
Lexus Test Driver

Hard decision, but I would pick the Accord Couple V6. Hopefully you can get a good deal on one, good luck.
Old 11-27-07, 04:10 PM
LexFather

To be honest for near 30k I would look at neither and look at a nice pre-owned Lexus or other luxury brand car.

Old 11-27-07, 04:26 PM
jdoggg1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
To be honest for near 30k I would look at neither and look at a nice pre-owned Lexus or other luxury brand car.
See that's the thing... i'm stretching myself hard (I'd be able to live fine, just over what i've budgeted) for this accord as it is. Luxury cars in the 30k range will be too expensive to fuel and insure (as per those criteria i listed). The accord is on par with Acura on the inside, which i really like, the toyota not so much

If it weren't for 25mpg and crazy insurance, i'd be all over an IS300.
Old 11-27-07, 04:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

If you really look at both cars closely (as I did in my reviews) I think you'll like the Accord Coupe more. While both cars have smooth, refined V6's and smooth, sport-shift automatics, the new Camry basically excels in paint quality, drivetrain smoothness, and little else. The new Accord coupe also has a superb drivetrain, has interior quality and hardware much better than the Camry's, and, unlike the Camry, has a FWD chassis and steering/road feel that, in some ways, approxomates that of a RWD BMW....though no FWD Honda, of course, is the complete equal of a BMW in steering and handling.

Check with GEICO. I had an IS300 for almost 5 years and insurance wasn't bad at all.....only a little more than my Outback.
Old 11-27-07, 04:41 PM
jdoggg1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall

Check with GEICO. I had an IS300 for almost 5 years and insurance wasn't bad at all.....only a little more than my Outback.
I'm with AAA, which has always been cheaper for me than anywhere else. For full coverage on the accord/camry they want 1300-1500 with a $500 deductible. For the IS300, they wanted close to $3000/yr.
Old 11-27-07, 06:54 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

See that's the thing... i'm stretching myself hard (I'd be able to live fine, just over what i've budgeted) for this accord as it is. Luxury cars in the 30k range will be too expensive to fuel and insure (as per those criteria i listed). The accord is on par with Acura on the inside, which i really like, the toyota not so much

You shouldn't be "stretching" yourself over a car. Go with the 4 cylinder Accord.
Old 11-27-07, 07:30 PM
xioix
Racer

What about a used TSX?
Old 11-27-07, 07:33 PM
hass
Lexus Champion

I'd take the Accord.

Quick Reply: 2008 Accord Cpe V6 VS Camry SE V6