Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2008 Porsche Boxster RS 60 Spyder in Limited Edition.

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-07, 07:40 PM
RFFG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks nice...but for the money...C6Z06...
Old 11-28-07, 08:34 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

uh 70k? GTR
Old 11-28-07, 08:57 PM
Jakex1
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Not even close. THe X-type is a classic example of awful platform sharing, awful product, awful execution.
The Boxster is THE convertible to buy and even though it is outgunned with HP, the drive is incredible. I don't recall much anybody beating it in any comparo.

There will be those that make fun b/c its not a 911, then we have to make fun of IS owners b/c they have the entry level model?

No we don't. The IS has its place, as the Boxster.
stating it like that, than every car has its place(which is kinda true) but my point is if you want to buy a porsche why a boxster? place that extra 30-40 grand and atleast get a carrera. IMO 70k for a boxster id rather get a gt-r, 6 series, m3, z06 the higher end cars from car companies(but thats my opinion,just as people may like the x-type, or is) because everyone has different tastes..

Your point of the boxster being a convertible does have its merit, for those who wish to drive a porsche + a convertible your pretty much limited to that.
And the boxster is really a remarkable car.

Basically my point is: for that money why get a lower-end car from a maker that is capable of making much better cars. When there are cars out there that can out-perform it in many ways and is the higher-end car in most makers.

Edit: lol i didnt even see RFFG or 4tehnyguyns posts before i posted this.
Old 11-28-07, 09:08 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Jakex1
stating it like that, than every car has its place(which is kinda true) but my point is if you want to buy a porsche why a boxster? place that extra 30-40 grand and atleast get a carrera. IMO 70k for a boxster id rather get a gt-r, 6 series, m3, z06 the higher end cars from car companies(but thats my opinion,just as people may like the x-type, or is) because everyone has different tastes..

Your point of the boxster being a convertible does have its merit, for those who wish to drive a porsche + a convertible your pretty much limited to that.

Basically my point is: for that money why get a lower-end car from a maker that is capable of making much better cars. When there are cars out there that can out-perform it in many ways and is the higher-end car in most makers. Go to a Porsche club event and watch for yourself.

Your assuming that if someone can swing a 70k car they can buy a 100k car. Just because someone can buy something does not mean they can afford it! Huge difference. Sort of like all of those here that lease or make payments vs paying cash. Yeah yeah there are some advantages with the favorite being ," I would rather not tie up my money when I can invest it". "BULL!"

But , 30k is still 30k regardless of the make and model.
Your logic is akin to asking why someone would buy a ES when they SHOULD buy an LS.

And to reiterate what has been stated, don't knock the Boxter unless you know something about it. They eat Carreras on any autocross circuit, day in and day out, all day long.
Old 11-28-07, 09:11 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

There will be those that make fun b/c its not a 911, then we have to make fun of IS owners b/c they have the entry level model?
Hold on here, the only way the IS can be considered entry-level is due to its price, and only because of the 250. The problem with your argument is that the IS is a performance sedan, not just a sedan. The ES has historically been the entry-level sedan and it still would be had they not dropped the 250 from the lineup. Even the current ES350's MSRP is lower than that of the IS350.

The Boxster on the other hand is not only entry-level pricewise for the Porsche brand, but is also supposed to be performance just like every other Porsche. Sure, the Boxster does have its niche - it is supposed to be a roadster. But it's still a Porsche and still supposed to be a performance car. And it'll never escape the stigma of having an underperforming engine.

Carrera, Turbo both also have cabrios! Don't forget the targa, either.
Old 11-28-07, 09:29 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gengar
Carrera, Turbo both also have cabrios! Don't forget the targa, either.
Well, the Boxster is a roadster, while the others are cabrios. Roadster > cabrio for sporting fun.
Old 11-28-07, 09:58 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Porsche and still supposed to be a performance car. And it'll never escape the stigma of having an underperforming engine..
You need to study up on the history of Porsche before making a comment like that. Porsche has won races throughout it's history with it's chassis -not their engines.

For some ,Porsche is a performance car-aka 0-60 car as most are brainwashed into believing 0-60 has something to do with a drag race when it does not. If a car does not break a 4 second 0-60 run then it must be slow so says the newbies to the automotive world.. Forget how well it does on the race track or the fact that it beats out the Carrera on the autocross circuit. Forget the fact that the car is more balanced and more easily tossed around than a Carrera. Some only care about the 0-60 time. Others care about more than just going straight as anyone can go straight.

Now would I buy one? Nope. I respect the Boxster, know well of it's capabilities, but would rather spend my money on something else and certainly would not be a Nissan even with 1000hp and 6 wheel drive. I preowned 911TT comes to mind.

Last edited by Pearlpower; 11-28-07 at 11:06 PM.
Old 11-29-07, 08:47 AM
LexFather

Basically my point is: for that money why get a lower-end car from a maker that is capable of making much better cars. When there are cars out there that can out-perform it in many ways and is the higher-end car in most makers.

Cars and life are not 0-60 and having 500hp. The Boxster is a perfect example of well, perfection and not needing tons of power to show how entertaining it can be. In every article written here or in Europe, the car simply WHOOPS everything around.

Having 911 DNA is not a bad thing. We also have to say the Porsche crest is appealing to those who would not consider a Nissan, a Chevy, heck a BMW or Lexus.

Old 11-29-07, 08:50 AM
LexFather

Hold on here, the only way the IS can be considered entry-level is due to its price, and only because of the 250. The problem with your argument is that the IS is a performance sedan, not just a sedan. The ES has historically been the entry-level sedan and it still would be had they not dropped the 250 from the lineup. Even the current ES350's MSRP is lower than that of the IS350.

The Boxster on the other hand is not only entry-level pricewise for the Porsche brand, but is also supposed to be performance just like every other Porsche. Sure, the Boxster does have its niche - it is supposed to be a roadster. But it's still a Porsche and still supposed to be a performance car. And it'll never escape the stigma of having an underperforming engine..
The IS 250 is the lowst priced MSRP Lexus. Its entry-level as the ES. Though that line is blurring, especially since you can get an IS or ES for $45,000 loaded.

Again, power is not everything. People will ALWAYS say a car needs more power? Do it? Most people can't handle 200hp quite frankly.

There are those that want more power in the Boxster and they can swap the 3.8 from the 911 in there for some $$$$. They can mod their Boxsters and turn them into beasts.

Just google Ruf

Old 11-29-07, 09:11 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
You need to study up on the history of Porsche before making a comment like that.
You deny, then, that the Boxster has the stigma of an underperforming engine? You need to separate the arguments and statements instead of commenting on me personally. I'm likely among the last posters that needs any refreshing on Porsche history, as I am a big Porsche fan (albeit certainly not as much as my brother, who is a total Porsche head and Turbo owner) and I personally think the Boxster is a great car at what it does. That doesn't mean that I don't think the Boxster is overpriced, and that doesn't mean there is not a stigma that its engine is underpowered.

And what I don't like about the Porsche is the fact that they maintain such rigid performance ceilings on their product lines. Do they have to do so? Of course, because if they put a Turbo engine in the Cayman, the Cayman would outperform the Turbo on most tracks and that makes it difficult to market. Porsche fan or not, that doesn't mean I don't dislike that practice.
Old 11-29-07, 09:12 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

The IS 250 is the lowst priced MSRP Lexus. Its entry-level as the ES.
Yes, and I said that. And I also pointed out that the ES would still be entry level if they had kept the ES250.
Old 11-29-07, 09:19 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

I think a lot of you are arguing but actually agree, and are just saying the same thing differently.

I understand the Boxster, but wouldn't own one even though I am sure it is a very fun car to drive. I'd even rather have a Cayman. There, I said it.
Old 11-29-07, 09:24 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by picus
I think a lot of you are arguing but actually agree, and are just saying the same thing differently.

I understand the Boxster, but wouldn't own one even though I am sure it is a very fun car to drive. I'd even rather have a Cayman. There, I said it.
What do you mean, "even rather"? I'd much rather have a Cayman!
Old 11-29-07, 03:13 PM
Jakex1
Pole Position

Originally Posted by picus

isnt the cayman pretty much the same thing as a boxster? just a hardtop?

I guess buying the boxster is like buying a miata, may not be the strongest or fastest car but it is fun to drive.
Old 11-29-07, 06:14 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

You deny, then, that the Boxster has the stigma of an underperforming engine? You need to separate the arguments and statements instead of commenting on me personally. I'm likely among the last posters that needs any refreshing on Porsche history, as I am a big Porsche fan (albeit certainly not as much as my brother, who is a total Porsche head and Turbo owner) and I personally think the Boxster is a great car at what it does. That doesn't mean that I don't think the Boxster is overpriced, and that doesn't mean there is not a stigma that its engine is underpowered.

And what I don't like about the Porsche is the fact that they maintain such rigid performance ceilings on their product lines. Do they have to do so? Of course, because if they put a Turbo engine in the Cayman, the Cayman would outperform the Turbo on most tracks and that makes it difficult to market. Porsche fan or not, that doesn't mean I don't dislike that practice.
Not at all, it is just that I understand that the definition of a sports car is not the 0-60 time. A Miata is a sports car and certainly not the quickest in 0-60 or the real test of acceleration-1/4 mile. 0-60 does not make for a sports car and does not win races, 0-60 only wins magazine articles in Car and Driver and for those that do not know that there is more to a car than the 0-60 time. The engine in the very first Boxster (0-60 in 6 for those that care) was very capable and for those that actually DROVE ONE they would know that. Was it the fastest? No? Did that car best faster cars on the track and in sports car comparisons-almost every time.

This is a limited edition Porsche and of course it will cost more. Would I take it over a Carrera at the same price-depends. If only for autocross then yes, for everything else then no but again a base 911 is not close to the price of this car.

Some people (not directed at anyone in particular) always try to discredit the least expensive Porsches vs the 911 in order to try to make the impression that they know what a Porsche is to begin with and 0-60 is not one of those items.

Last edited by Pearlpower; 11-29-07 at 06:40 PM.

Quick Reply: 2008 Porsche Boxster RS 60 Spyder in Limited Edition.