Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2008 Porsche Boxster RS 60 Spyder in Limited Edition.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-07, 06:23 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
Not at all, it is just that I understand that the definition of a sports car is not the 0-60 time. A Miata is a sports car and certainly not the quickest in 0-60 or the real test of acceleration-1/4 mile. 0-60 does not make for a sports car and does not win races, 0-60 only wins magazine articles in Car and Driver and for those that do not know that there is more to a car than the 0-60 time. The engine in the very first Boxster was very capable and for those that actually DROVE ONE they would know that. Was it the fastest? No? Did that car best faster cars on the track and in sports car comparisons-almost every time.
This is a limited edition Porsche and of course it will cost more. Would I take it over a Carrera at the same price-depends. If only for autocross then yes, for everything else then no but again a base 911 is not close to the price of this car.
People always try to discredit the least expensive Porsches vs the 911 in order to try to make the impression that they know what a Porsche is to begin with and 0-60 is not one of those items.
Exactly. If 0-60 at great prices was all that mattered, we all would drive base model GT Mustangs....

Old 11-29-07, 07:37 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
Not at all, it is just that I understand that the definition of a sports car is not the 0-60 time.
Of course not. No one has suggested otherwise. And you could say this about plenty of objective statistics too: The slalom doesn't make a sports car (heck, look at what the IS-F is beating in the R/T tests), nor does a lap time make a sports car (otherwise the 350Z could make a claim vs. the Boxster, after all). And I agree completely that there are plenty of "enthusiasts" (especially on internet forums) who have utterly no idea about what driving means.

But this whole soapbox tangent has nothing to do with my original point, which was simply that the Boxster will always be considered much closer to its brethren than the IS should be to the LS.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Exactly. If 0-60 at great prices was all that mattered, we all would drive base model GT Mustangs....
No, we'd actually be on sport bikes.
Old 11-29-07, 11:56 PM
splitfire
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At Boxster prices, I could think of about 571 other cars I'd rather own.

Just does nothing for me. Can't put my finger on it...

Drives nice, handles well... just was never a dream car for me.

Still the baby Porsche.
Same here.. boxster does nothing for me... I remember when I was a kid I told myself when I get big I have will my own Porsche and my first Porsche was a 911 c2 and my second was 911 turbo.. didn't even bother to look at the boxster..to me boxster just doesn't feel like a real Porsche.. just like the 914..944... but they do look kinda cute though one time I park the TT at a place and a little 2 year old kid point at the car and keep saying Porsche.. Porsche.. Porsche to his daddy.. If I was driving a Boxster I don't know if the kid would regonize it as a PORSCHE
Old 12-07-07, 07:46 PM
rcracer_tx
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by splitfire
Same here.. boxster does nothing for me... I remember when I was a kid I told myself when I get big I have will my own Porsche and my first Porsche was a 911 c2 and my second was 911 turbo.. didn't even bother to look at the boxster..to me boxster just doesn't feel like a real Porsche.. just like the 914..944... but they do look kinda cute though one time I park the TT at a place and a little 2 year old kid point at the car and keep saying Porsche.. Porsche.. Porsche to his daddy.. If I was driving a Boxster I don't know if the kid would regonize it as a PORSCHE
As a current boxster owner, I have to say that after driving a 911 and a boxster s; the boxster is much more fun to drive than a 911. the 911 lost its appeal to me when it became the size of a suburban in the late 90's. it feels heavy when you drive it hard, and is not a sports car.(sports car is a 2 seater and a 911 is a gt.)

As for the boxster not being realized as a porsche, you do realize that the boxster and 911 front bumpers, lights, almost all interior pieces, as well as most engine components are all interchangeable and very similar in design.

It is sad that porsche has to put in a smaller engine in order to keep the 911 platform alive, but porsche has to give 911 enthusiast something to pitch spending 40 grand more for an inferior platform. Most boxster owners put in a 3.6 liter engine when the original 2.7 or 3.2 liter dies as it is a direct bolt. this swap makes the boxster faster, better handling, more affordable and imho a better looking car than the 911.