Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota makes vehicles communicate with surroundings to prevent collisions

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-07, 10:57 AM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Toyota makes vehicles communicate with surroundings to prevent collisions

We've already seen Intelligent Transport Systems discussed ad nauseum when referring to Nissan, but now Toyota is taking the time to demonstrate its latest advancements in vehicle-infrastructure cooperative systems. Put simply, the aforementioned ITS technologies are being tapped to "enable communication between cars and elements of their surroundings in an effort to reduce collisions." Complementing the massive simulator also on display, the automaker was demonstrating its strides in implementing road-to-vehicle, vehicle-to-vehicle and pedestrian-to-vehicle communications, which can warn drivers via audio / visual cues and even slow the vehicle's speed in order to prevent an accident. Sadly, Toyota failed to mention when we'd see these newfangled safety features integrated into civilian rides, but we can't wait to wave such niceties in the face of our insurance companies as we campaign for lower rates.
Source: http://www.engadget.com/2007/11/27/t...-to-prevent-c/
Old 11-27-07, 03:54 PM
LexFather

Hey toyota, instead of making cars talk to trees, how about one that talks to enthusiasts?

Old 11-27-07, 07:01 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This was a feature story on CNN today:

http://www.yahoo.com/s/746428

A GS 430 was in the video, and they didn't mention that the Lexus Pre-Collision System on the LS 460 is available in the US with a number of these features.
Old 11-27-07, 07:25 PM
Vlad_Stein
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Hey toyota, instead of making cars talk to trees, how about one that talks to enthusiasts?
Amen!

Just what the world needs - a bunch of smart cars and "dumb" drivers.
By "dumb", I mean uneducated. Most people in US that I have seen have no clue about driving (using signals, not talking on a cell while driving, understanding how to change lanes without cutting people off, etc.). Money would be better spent on driver's ed - they just need to figure out how to sell it.
Old 11-27-07, 07:47 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Vlad_Stein
Amen!

By "dumb", I mean uneducated. Most people in US that I have seen have no clue about driving (using signals, not talking on a cell while driving, understanding how to change lanes without cutting people off, etc.). Money would be better spent on driver's ed - they just need to figure out how to sell it.
second ... it seems like to get a drivers license in north america all you need to be able to do is put the key in the ignition (or push a button now), go kinda in a straight line and try not to hit anything - once you've had ur license for a yr, well, do what ever you want
Old 11-27-07, 11:06 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hate ppl talking on cellphones. They have NO clue what's going on around them other than there's nothing in front of them. The sides don't matter.

How many times have I had ppl run the 4-way stop or do 30km/h in a 50km/h zone (4th Ave) or 60km/h in a 90km/h zone (Oak st to Hwy 99). The lady even had the nerve to give me a stare when I had to overtake her, change back then exit.
Old 11-27-07, 11:19 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
This has to be the quote of the year. One of the few times I agree with you 110%
Old 11-28-07, 06:25 AM
Cornellian
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Vlad_Stein
Amen!

If what you say is true...well... then there you go! That would be a big market. And that's why you see them going after it. Same as the energy market we have or we will have. Bigger than the "Car Enthusiast" market. This is all business at the end of the day and you gotta do what ya gotta do...

Last edited by Cornellian; 11-28-07 at 06:30 AM.