Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota to recall 215,020 Lexus, other cars in Japan

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-07, 10:23 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toyota to recall 215,020 Lexus, other cars in Japan

TOKYO (Reuters) - Toyota Motor Corp said on Wednesday it would recall 215,020 units of the Lexus GS, Crown and three other high-end car models in Japan to fix a faulty fuel pipe that could lead to a fuel leakage.

The recall covers Crown, Lexus GS350, Lexus IS250, Lexus IS350 and Mark X sedans manufactured between December 2003 and December 2005, Japan's top automaker said in a filing with the transport ministry. No accident has been reported.

Another 49,000 of the Lexus models with the same design defect will be recalled in the United States, Britain and Canada and other markets, a spokesman said.

Faulty fuel pipe? Of all the things to require a quarter of a million cars to be recalled.
Old 11-27-07, 10:55 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ouch.... I believe this is the first to hit a Lexus vehicle (aside from that kickpanel "recall" for the RX lol).
Old 11-27-07, 11:17 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nextourer
ouch.... I believe this is the first to hit a Lexus vehicle (aside from that kickpanel "recall" for the RX lol).
I'm pretty sure Lexus cars had more than just the RX kick panel recall. I had 3 recalls including that kick panel one on my 04 RX330 myself.
Old 11-28-07, 05:34 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

*sigh* I wonder what major problems Lexus will have to deal with in the coming future?
Old 11-28-07, 06:16 AM
TLe2006
Lexus Champion

they should have a recall on the engine noise in ISx50s. I know there's a tsb but it didn't fix the problem.
Old 11-28-07, 07:36 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Don't forget about the recall of the drivers side all-weather floor mat in the ES350.
Old 11-28-07, 07:42 AM
LexFather

I'd rather them fix it now, than later.

Old 11-28-07, 08:00 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I'd rather them fix it now, than later.
... or not fix it at all and have the customers figure it out when they have the problem.

I'm getting sick and tired of companies that know about huge problems that will affect a large portion of their customer base, but wait until their individual customers actually have the problems before doing anything about it. At least with a recall you can decide when you want to be inconvenienced; if your car/product breaks down, you don't exactly have a choice about when you need repair/warranty service.
Old 11-28-07, 08:40 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,429 Likes on 1,592 Posts

Originally Posted by ThoLe
they should have a recall on the engine noise in ISx50s. I know there's a tsb but it didn't fix the problem.
An IS250 drove by me as I walked in a parking lot the other day. I almost didn't notice it at all it was so quiet.
Old 11-28-07, 08:53 AM
TLe2006
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
An IS250 drove by me as I walked in a parking lot the other day. I almost didn't notice it at all it was so quiet.
no i meant at start up. Sometimes when i start my engine, it made a rattling engine noise for a quick second then it stopped.
Old 11-28-07, 11:12 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by gengar
... or not fix it at all and have the customers figure it out when they have the problem.

I'm getting sick and tired of companies that know about huge problems that will affect a large portion of their customer base, but wait until their individual customers actually have the problems before doing anything about it. At least with a recall you can decide when you want to be inconvenienced; if your car/product breaks down, you don't exactly have a choice about when you need repair/warranty service.
It is difficult to say from the press release exactly what the problem is but my experience with recalls is that auto makers do them only when really pushed. Of course we all like to think that Toyota/Lexus is ahead of the curve but I doubt it. There have probably been a lot of customers with rough running engines, one of the few things I can think of to let you know about a fuel system leak before it's time for the marshmallows, or gasoline smells in the garage. Sort of interesting the much higher number of recalls for Japan than the rest of the world.
Old 11-28-07, 11:23 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Fuel leaks can be a very dangerous problem....but sometimes very hard to trace. A neighbor of mine had a last-generation Tundra, less than two years old and still in warranty, that went up on the D.C. Beltway like a Ronson lighter while he was driving it.....fortunately, he got out with minor burns and minimal loss of personal gear. His insurance company looked into the matter (there was no official recall or service bulletins from Toyota) and found that it only happened to three trucks....all from the same dealership, and his was one of them. No real reason was ever found.

And here's the rub....he liked the truck so much he had his insurance company replace it with another one....same model, same options, same color. (whether Toyota replaced the truck free, or his insurance company just gave him a check for a totalled truck and he made up the difference, I don't remember).
Old 11-28-07, 11:35 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by RON430
It is difficult to say from the press release exactly what the problem is but my experience with recalls is that auto makers do them only when really pushed.
Of course, because the recall costs are high. But I've run into a number of instances lately with unreliable products (not just the car industry) where it's clear that the manufacturer is aware of the problem but hasn't done anything about it. It's always better for the consumer to recall now than have to experience problems later, for the reasons I stated.
Old 11-28-07, 11:38 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by gengar
Of course, because the recall costs are high. But I've run into a number of instances lately with unreliable products (not just the car industry) where it's clear that the manufacturer is aware of the problem but hasn't done anything about it. It's always better for the consumer to recall now than have to experience problems later, for the reasons I stated.
We've all been there and done that. Everyone just loves taking the car in for service and having a complaint and having the service writer give you that wide eyed "Gee, no one else has that problem" blowoff. I found that story late last night and posted it but I am not sure how much mileage it will get in the main press but after CRs downgrade of Toyota and Lexus reliability, it doesn't help.
Old 11-28-07, 11:52 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by RON430
We've all been there and done that. Everyone just loves taking the car in for service and having a complaint and having the service writer give you that wide eyed "Gee, no one else has that problem" blowoff. I found that story late last night and posted it but I am not sure how much mileage it will get in the main press but after CRs downgrade of Toyota and Lexus reliability, it doesn't help.
On the other hand, too many people don't see....or recognize.....a problem when it is there. I don't know how many people have told me "Gee, my car runs perfect......no problems", and then, if I drive it myself for any reason, I find warped brake rotors, steering-wheel shimmy from out-of-round or unbalanced wheels/tires, hesitation from clogged injectors, power doors/windows that don't work right, even serious things like the brake-wear tabs right down to the screechers.

Quick Reply: Toyota to recall 215,020 Lexus, other cars in Japan