Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Man arrested for shooting traffic camera

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-07, 11:27 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil4X
It's not like an off-duty cop is going to drive that car on personal business. He probably won't take the family out for dinner - the kids might complain about the smell of urine and vomit in the back seat, and the wife isn't going to be too happy either with the squalling radios and the shotgun in her lap. Of course if the kids act up, the barred windows and the barricade between them and the front seat might come in handy . . . and there are still the handcuffs and restraints in the back seat . . .
Then can you please explain to me why I see so many cops driving around in civilian attire, and more or less of the time they have someone in the passenger seat. And despite your little "no family outings" in a cop car, i have seen that happen before also, though they are much rarer occurrences.
Old 12-03-07, 11:48 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I see husband/wife guy/girlfriend combos in plainclothes constantly in what appears to be unmarked cop cars (they're the government issue models with the blue lights inside the car). Not sure if that's cops I'm seeing or FBI or what...
Old 12-03-07, 11:51 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
Yeah, while this is perfectly legal, and can really save on gas to coast up to lights and try to make it to where you hit the light right as it's turning green, I've had too many close calls recently where if I had been cruising into the intersection right after it turned green I'd end up like that picture.

I remember a long time ago in driver's ed they taught us to slow down when approaching an intersection and look for cross traffic approaching without slowing. I always thought that was stupid and overly cautious crap that they taught us just because it was driver's ed... but looking back I think it's a good idea, especially if the light just turned green in the last few seconds.

I value my life over my fuel economy.
Come up to NY where there's a light about every 200-300 feet and then realize how many times that scenario plays out on a daily basis.
Old 12-03-07, 04:32 PM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I understand your feelings on this matter (and I partially agree with them), but you also have to consider that those cameras aren't just there for nothing, even though I agree they are a pain in the a**. You don't people T-Boning your car at speed with a major side-impact, do you? Even with Subarus, which have B-Pillars so strong that firemen sometimes have problems cutting into them with the heavy-duty jaws, that's something that can ruin your whole day.
Marshall..... 2 deaths in 4 months in the Plymouth/Bristol Ct. area were due to Subaru Wrx twisting like a pretzel... Not sure where thinking comes from in finding these vehicles to be safe? I personally was at the scene of one of the deaths and the Subaru held up like a joke...
Old 12-03-07, 05:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by silversprucesc3
Marshall..... 2 deaths in 4 months in the Plymouth/Bristol Ct. area were due to Subaru Wrx twisting like a pretzel... Not sure where thinking comes from in finding these vehicles to be safe? I personally was at the scene of one of the deaths and the Subaru held up like a joke...
Here is a quote from actual firefighter forums. it refers not only to Subaru B-pillar strength but that of VW's as well.

Received this report of an extrication challenge from a southern Florida fire officer. This is just the beginning I'm afraid.

Report:
We attempted to cut the A-post on a 2007 VW Jetta with our Holmatro 3020-UL C-cutter, but were unable to get through on the first attempt. It took three tries to get through the A-post, but the B-post was impossible to cut with our hydraulic cutters. Apparently, Volkswagen has installed a creased sheet metal roll bar in the center of the roof on this model, that runs through both B-posts, and across the top of the roof. The A-posts and C-posts are similarly reinforced, but we were able to cut through both with considerable difficulty.

I would like to know if you have any helpful information on what makes and models are using this new design, and how we can approach it in an extrication. Fortunately, we accomplished this extrication by just cutting sheet metal, and flapping the roof back. Your input is much appreciated.

My Reply:

You're sort of at the cutting edge of this new problem and I do not have a lot of information out on it yet. The exotic metals we speak about such as Boron, are becoming more popular with the 07 models because the government changed the side impact standard, effective with the 07 model year. So what you guys ran into is going to become a more and more frequent occurrence.

Automakers have reached a point of no return with side impact airbags, Seats, doors, and roof is just about all they can do from the airbag perspective. But the new government standard pushes them further. So with airbag technology maxed out, they have turned to a beefed-up side structure as the solution to meet the Standard. That's why we'll see more and more stronger, cut-resistant B-pillars for example.

Subaru started on this impact standard mission back with their 2003 models. I cut a 2003 Forester B-pillar with a rotary saw just to see what it was made of. It was 7 layers of steel with an actual rebar rod welded inside the core of the pillar. That was 2003!
Here is the website:
http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?t=85864

And here is another source from Edmunds:
http://blogs.edmunds.com/Straightline/1204

And here is a quote from Wikepedia on the WRX:
Pros

Subaru claims that the GD chassis is 148 percent and 82 percent stiffer in torsional and beam rigidity, respectively, than the GC chassis. This stiffness is primarily due to the addition of a steel "ring" which encircles the cabin at the B-pillar. While the stiffness was increased for passenger safety, it has the added benefit of providing more stability for motorsports events.

In terms of safety, the GD chassis scored much higher than the GC chassis and earned a "Good" rating (highest mark) from the IIHS's offset crash test. 4 stars front driver, 5 star front passenger and 4 star side safety ratings from the NHTSA. In a magazine article from the Dec. 2005 Firehouse magazine (a periodical written and made for firefighters), Ron Moore writes how it is well-known that the Impreza chassis has great protection in its B-pillars. This side structure has 8 layers of high-strength, high-tension steel including a round steel bar running through the middle. The author notes how drivers simply walk away from horrific side-impact accidents.
And the website:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_Impreza_WRX

I could post websites all night about Subaru B-Pillar strength, but I've got other things to take care of, too.

Have a nice evening.
Old 12-03-07, 06:08 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I could just imagine how long it took you to find those links just for the sake of this discussion which does not even have anything to do with SooBALOOs to begin with.
But, good to hear their safe. That is the important issue.
OK, I am going to go over and post on the firefighters forum ...........
Old 12-03-07, 06:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
I could just imagine how long it took you to find those links just for the sake of this discussion which does not even have anything to do with SooBALOOs to begin with.
But, good to hear their safe. That is the important issue.
OK, I am going to go over and post on the firefighters forum ...........
I agree, Pearlpower.......we got a little off-topic. I was partly, not totally, to blame. But it did tie in, to an extent, with what we were originally talking about, with the shooting..........red-light cameras and their purposes, one of which is to prevent T-Bone side impacts which test the strength of those B-Pillars.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-03-07 at 06:27 PM.
Old 12-03-07, 06:49 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Nah, I'm just busting your chops. My sarcastic humor is back today much to my boss's dismay. I take great enjoyment in your post though I have little time to read them all.
Old 12-04-07, 06:50 AM
krazykanuk
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I'm partially (not completely) with you. They do serve a purpose, but they don't give you enough time after the light is red before they snap the picture. They should be reprogrammed and a little more forgiving....it is sometimes very difficult to judge a yellow light, and you sometimes get caught in the middle of the intersection after the light turns red trying to turn left because oncoming traffic just won't stop.
The ones where I live in Canada suck because they double as speed cameras. I will actually plan my drive around them so that I don't have to go through them. They add stress to my drive because if you speed up too much you'll get a speeding ticket or if you enter too late get a red light ticket. It'll even snap at you for just crossing the stop line at some of them.

I can't count how many times I and other cars have had to slam on the brakes to avoid going through the lights. Although they do slow down and stop people, they need to be tweaked a little bit.

But more on topic, about a year or two after they were installed this man did the same thing, he went and shot the camera, but it did no good because the data and pictures were already stored on a hard drive so he just damages the camera. The great irony is that he wouldn't have received a ticket because he was driving an out of province vehicle.
Old 12-04-07, 07:21 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Jewcano
Then can you please explain to me why I see so many cops driving around in civilian attire, and more or less of the time they have someone in the passenger seat. And despite your little "no family outings" in a cop car, i have seen that happen before also, though they are much rarer occurrences.
I would venture to guess there are several explanations for this - the driver is on his way to the station from another job to change into uniform; they are transporting a witness, informant, or a detective who works in plainclothes; they may BE a plainclothes officer who got the luck of the draw down at the motor pool that day; or they could be conducting a "ride along" with a civilian observer in the front seat.

The problem with carrying his family in a patrol car is that should he get a call, even off duty, the officer in most jurisdictions is REQUIRED to pull over to the curb and put his family out before responding to the call. That could make for some pretty spirited dinner table conversation when the shift is over. Liability is the primary reason most departments frown on civilians in the cruiser unless they are being transported on official business.