Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mini-Review: 2008 Honda CR-V 4WD LX

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-07, 08:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Mini-Review: 2008 Honda CR-V 4WD LX

A condensed, mini-review of the 2008 Honda CRV LX 4WD.

http://automobiles.honda.com/cr-v/

In a Nutshell: Swiss-Watch build quality and materials, quite versatile, but not as pleasant to drive as AWD Subaru competitors.

I had a chance a few days ago, while shopping with a neighbor for a small SUV, to check out a new CR-V. We looked at the base version, which I felt was the best bargain, though the more expensive EX and EX-L versions are not exactly a waste of money either. I didn't do a full, detailed, review on this vehicle because that was not the intent of the test-drive and inspection..........I was more interested in checking it out for defects, vehicle condition and a general test-drive, but I will share my findings on it with you guys. I was strongly impressed with Honda's build quality and materials on this vehicle..........it is one of the highest-ranking vehicles in Consumer Reports' reliability data base. However, with the higher center-of gravity, it is definitely not as car-like as the Subaru AWDs........driving it, I missed my Outback's superb combination of AWD, SUV-versatility, and car-like road manners.

So here, in a condensed form, is my take on it:

Model Reviewed: 2008 Honda CR-V LX 4WD

Base price: $21,900.

Major Options: None

Destination: $635

List Price as Reviewed: $22,635

Exterior Color: Nighthawk Black Pearl

Interior: Ivory Cloth

Drivetrain: AWD, Transverse-mounted 2.4L in-line 4, 166 HP @ 5800 RPM, Torque 161 ft-lbs. @ 4200 RPM,
5-Speed automatic, no Sport-Shift function.

PLUSSES:

Honda quality through and through.

LX version a bargain starting at 22K.

4-cylinder engine and automatic has V6 smoothness.

AWD system more complex than Subarus but has comparable durability and reliability.

Superb exterior materials and trim quality.

Superb interior materials and trim quality.

Super-slick-feeling, solid-operating outside mirrors.

Excellent headroom and legroom front and rear.

All gauges, buttons, and controls clear and well-marked.

Nice stereo.

Base steering wheel much more comfortable than more expensive, leather-stitched versions.

Slick paint job, and subdued but nice paint colors.

Underhood engine compartment reasonably well-laid out without unnecessary bulky items or covers.

Solid-closing doors.

Good cargo room with rear seats down.

New flip-up tailgate a major improvement over old, right-hinged rear door.

Comfortable but not particularly supportive seats.

New Honda 5/60 and 3/36 warranties an improvement over previous years.

Extremely tight tolerances in assembly; everything fits perfectly.

MINUSES:

No optional engines or manual transmission offered.

Automatic shift lever does not have a manual shift-gate.

Center of gravity too high for optimum ride/handling combination.

Ride a little choppy for my tastes, with typical SUV porpoising, but is helped by tall-profile, 65-series tires.

Moderate body lean in corners.

Discounts and incentives not widespread.

Dull-looking, stamped-steel wheels on base version.

Split-Rear seats fold down but lack remote latches.

Limited rear visibility from rear side windows and D-Pillar.

Noticeable wind noise at speed.

Awkward, Volvo-wagon-like taillights.

AWD weight/drag bogs the engine down on acceleration.

Slightly spongy brakes.

Condensed Summary:

Exterior:

Sits higher off the ground than regular sedans and has good ground clearance for mud and snow. Very impressive exterior workmanship, materials, paint, and trim quality. Somewhat tall, awkward-looking (IMO) taillights. Stamped-steel wheels look cheap (the only thing on the vehicle that does). Good-quality cladding all around protects lower-body from damage. Sweep in rear-side windows and D-Pillar impedes visibility. Underhood compartment well-laid out and relatively uncluttered.

Interior:

Attractive, black/beige two-tone trim. Workmanship and materials equally as impressive as the outside. Solid-closing doors. Clear, typical Honda/Acura blue-ring gauges. Controls all clearly marked, high-quality materials, and slick operation. Comfortable seats but not particularly supportive. Vinyl steering wheel, without the sharp, poorly-done stitching of the leather ones, is more comfortable to hold. Stereo well-done but not quite in Lexus territory. Good headroom and legroom front and rear.

Cargo Area:

Plenty of room with rear seats down.....OK with them up. Rear seats lack the remote, tail-mounted levers for fold-down some other SUV's have........you have to reach way in to unfold them. Reasonably well-finished, with high-quality carpet. Dummy full-size spare tire inside, under rear floor, instead of under the vehicle like some small SUV's. Top-hinged lift-gate a major improvement over the old right-hinged door, which was a carryover from the Japanese-market versions.

On the Road:

Conventional start-up ignition switch...no button. Smooth, quiet 4-cylinder.....virtually to V6 standards. Smooth, quiet 5-speed automatic transmission has slick-operating, high-quality shift lever but lacks a manual shift-gate common to many of today's automatics. Engine feels somewhat overworked on acceleration with the vehicle weight and drag of automatic/AWD, but power level is adequate for normal, sedate driving. Noticeable wind noise at cruise speeds. Tire/road noise less noticeable than other entry-level Hondas. Rather numb steering feel. High center of gravity gives moderate body lean, rather slow steering response, and a small amount of typical, small-SUV, fore/aft porpoising. Brakes OK but a little spongy. Ride a little choppy for my tastes but is helped a little by high-profile 65-series tires.

The Verdict?

Overall, an excellent competitor to the Toyota Rav4, Subaru Outback/Forester, Mitsubishi Outlander, Ford/Escape/Mercury Mariner, Chevrolet Equinox/Pontiac Torrent, Hyundai Tucson, and Suzuki Vitara. Overall build quality and materials surpass anything in its class, though Subarus come close. Highly recommended by me as an inexpensive, versatile, all-weather daily driver, but check out Subaru Forester and Outback first before buying....you may prefer the Subaru's more car-like road manners.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-29-07 at 08:09 PM.
Old 11-29-07, 08:12 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It is quite popular, now that it's the best selling "SUV" in the U.S.
Old 11-29-07, 08:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
It is quite popular, now that it's the best selling "SUV" in the U.S.
Guess it depends on how you define "SUV", but I'm sure Robparata or 1SICKLEX will post the sales figures.
Old 11-29-07, 08:22 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

CRV shares the same platform as the Acura RDX. Similar vehicles.. Nice review
Old 11-29-07, 08:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
CRV shares the same platform as the Acura RDX. Similar vehicles.. Nice review
Thanks.
They do share platforms, but the RDX is much sportier, has more aggressive styling, has a turbo-4 engine with far better throttle response, and flatter cornering.....but a stiffer ride as well. The CR-V, especially in the base LX trim, is a more utilitarian vehicle and inexpensive AWD daily driver (though FWD versions are also available).....you're not going to buy a new RDX for only 22K.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-29-07 at 08:46 PM.
Old 11-29-07, 11:05 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice mini review! Most of your comments more or less mirror my thoughts when I sat in the CR-V and had the chance to go over it in detail (didn't drive it though). I still think the 1st gen CR-V looks the best.
Old 11-30-07, 12:11 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the review! It reminds me of a Ford Edge
Old 11-30-07, 05:53 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nextourer
Nice mini review! Most of your comments more or less mirror my thoughts when I sat in the CR-V and had the chance to go over it in detail (didn't drive it though). I still think the 1st gen CR-V looks the best.
Thanks.
The first generation CR-V, though extremely well-built like this one, had some awkward controls inside, like in the design of the parking-brake lever and the way the power window switches were splayed out on front of you on the dash, rather than the more conventional door arm-rest or center console.
Old 11-30-07, 08:45 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Part of the reason I like Subaru so much is that the engines are all boxer engines. Flat engines have a better balanced center of gravity, thus handling is improved.
Old 11-30-07, 09:04 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Guess it depends on how you define "SUV", but I'm sure Robparata or 1SICKLEX will post the sales figures.
YTD sales thru October: CR-V 184,003 and RAV4 146,582. Those are the only two that I looked up since they directly compete with each other.
Old 11-30-07, 10:34 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
YTD sales thru October: CR-V 184,003 and RAV4 146,582. Those are the only two that I looked up since they directly compete with each other.
The Ford Explorer used to be #1. Now it's not even on the top 3 SUVs:

Code:
RANK VEHICLE                     2007     2006  '06 RANK %Chng
  1 Ford F-Series P/U           588,952  672,732      1  -12.5
  2 Chevy Silverado-C/K P/U     526,575  539,310      2   -2.4
  3 Toyota Camry                398,868  374,717      3   +6.4
  4 Honda Accord                332,815  302,067      5  +10.2
  5 Toyota Corolla              317,796  330,995      4   -4.0
  6 Dodge Ram P/U               301,689  303,476      6   -0.6
  7 Honda Civic                 278,764  272,886      7   +2.2
  8 Chevrolet Impala            270,504  240,297      8  +12.6
  9 Nissan Altima               239,800  189,422     10  +26.6
 10 Honda CR-V                  184,003  136,437     na  +34.9
 11 GMC Sierra P/U              174,621  177,813     12   -1.8
 12 Chevrolet Cobalt            169,400  187,330      9   -9.6
 13 Toyota Tundra               162,348  101,571     33  +59.8
 14 Toyota Prius                150,272   89,672     na  +67.6
 15 Toyota-RAV4                 146,582  126,838     na  +15.6
 16 Ford Focus                  145,977  152,242     15   -4.1
 17 Honda Odyssey               144,718  150,550     16   -3.9
 18 Ford Econoline/Club Wagon   142,776  152,053     19   -6.1
 19 Dodge Caravan               141,477  182,805     11  -22.6
 20 Ford Escape                 139,911  132,666     22   +5.5

Last edited by PhilipMSPT; 11-30-07 at 10:39 AM.
Old 11-30-07, 10:40 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thanks.
The first generation CR-V, though extremely well-built like this one, had some awkward controls inside, like in the design of the parking-brake lever and the way the power window switches were splayed out on front of you on the dash, rather than the more conventional door arm-rest or center console.
Ahh I see. Back then I couldn't drive so I was in the back seat and I loved the rear seat armrests (which the RAV4 didn't offer until now) cause they allowed a very small pass-through if needed.

But then again, the CR-Vs always had "awkward" controls as part of the design. The 2nd Gen's vertical handbrake for example.
Old 11-30-07, 11:21 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Question I am Not Positive but ...

I thought that Honda/Acura had said that the RDX was on its own new platform whereas the CR-V continues to be based off of the Civic's ... ?
Old 11-30-07, 12:09 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Correct. The rumor about the RDX and CRV sharing the same platform was started before the RDX was even put into production. It uses an all-new global light truck platform because the current CRV chassis does not allow the use of SH-AWD. I can see why people think the platform is shared because the two light suv are inches within each other. No other vehicle uses the RDX's chassis.
Old 11-30-07, 02:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Part of the reason I like Subaru so much is that the engines are all boxer engines. Flat engines have a better balanced center of gravity, thus handling is improved.
The CR-V was noticeably less responsive, had more body roll, and had more of the notorious small-SUV porpoising than the typical Forester or Outback, but that was due to more than just the Subarus having a lower, flatter engine. The transversely-mounted, in-line 4 in the CR-V does help raise the cemnter of gravity a little, but the main reason is the CRV's notably higher stance off the ground and higher roofline. Yet, despite having a higher center of gravity, it doesn't have any more ground clearance than Subaru for mud and snow, and actually less than my Outback.

Yet there are sound reasons to purchase or lease a CR-V. Its build quality is truly first-rate, especially concerning the low price, and its reliability record is even better than that of most Subarus (which are all well above average), and about even with the Toyota RAV-4's.........but the CR-V, IMO, seems to use nicer materials and hardware than the RAV-4, except for the RAV-4's superb paint job, a Toyota characteristic.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-30-07 at 02:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Mini-Review: 2008 Honda CR-V 4WD LX