Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Older Vehicle Buyers Are Less Likely to Consider Import Brands, Younger Buyers . . .

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-07, 07:06 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
So this Camry interior is better than...

...this Malibu interior?
Go sit in each one at the next local car show (not just looking at pix). Which one has better materials? Switchgear that feels better? Nicely dampered parts? More intuitive controls? (has GM eliminated that cruise control/wiper/washer/turn signal stalk yet?). Feel the leather and plastic. THEN decide which has a "nicer" interior.
Old 11-30-07, 07:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Go sit in each one at the next local car show (not just looking at pix). Which one has better materials? Switchgear that feels better? Nicely dampered parts? More intuitive controls? (has GM eliminated that cruise control/wiper/washer/turn signal stalk yet?). Feel the leather and plastic. THEN decide which has a "nicer" interior.
I sit in a LOT of car interiors......both in and out of shows.
In most cases, the foreign-nameplate vehicles will have better interior quality, although that, to some extent, is starting to change.

Still, for sheer material quality of the interior parts, precision assembly, and fit/finish, the Acura RL has one of the best interiors I've ever seen among mass-produced cars. Almost everything on that car looks and feels like it was crafted by Swiss-Watch makers......even the I-Drive-like controller **** I dislike.

The Lexus LS460's interior is also extremely well-crafted, but looks and has a slightly more plasticky feel than the RL. The VW Phaeton had another interior fit for a king (even more so than its brother Audi A8), but the Phaeton has been pulled from the U.S. market.
Old 11-30-07, 07:54 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
Duh... because a higher proportion of asians live in 'the northeast and the west regions'....
Originally Posted by Nextourer
Yeah it's usually the Asians that'll stick with "Import" brands mostly because that's what they buy back in Asia. Back there, the cars are smaller. They can't drive American cars cause some of them are too wide for the roads.

This is NOT the reason. You guy's really think that Asian American's are driving import sales?? MOST import sales in the US are by white/black americans. Asian Americans still make up a small percentage of the population.

The Northeast and West simply share a similar perspective or way of thinking.
We're very liberal () and won't buy crap just because it has American origin. Educated consumers will make the most logical purchase based on numerous factors such as quality, value, resale value, fuel efficiency,ect. All of these qualities are still done better by the Japanese in most cases even with recent dramatic improvements from GM and Ford.
Old 11-30-07, 09:33 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
So this Camry interior is better than...
...this Malibu interior?
As others have said, you should sit in both and drive them. Also first impression is not always best. Though I can agree with you on the fact that the Impala you showed in the picture does look better than the Camry, however I would like to see real shots and feel the material before passing judgment. I rode in my friends Sable, and I'm sorry but the plastics in there feel incredibly cheap. I was worried about being a little rough with it, because i was afraid of breaking it. Take that Camry and Malibu in 10 years after normal wear and tell me which one looks better. If USDM automotives are stepping up with quality then good for them, it's about time they did so.
Old 11-30-07, 09:46 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Let's not mix up quality with fit and finish.

I had a Cobalt Coupe 1LT as a rental during my week in Cali. Drove it 2,700 miles. The fit and finish on that car is amazing and definitely not what I expect from a domestic. However, the plastics are just crap. Yes they fit well, there's no uneveness but it's all hard "scratchy" plastic on the dash and door. The door panel fabric feels cheap. The radio buttons feel solid though.

So GM is halfway there with the Cobalt's interior. The rest of the car is just fine. I loved the suspension and the engine. The steering could be more weighted on the highway. Oh and it's very quiet... even at illegal speeds.
Old 12-01-07, 11:29 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

My parents are now in their late 60s and were born into families who
drove nothing but American cars. Dad is an Engineer, and when the
import cars started arriving in the late 60s it was obvious to him
that there were different and better alternatives out there.

In the 70s we had Fiats (fun to drive, I still own one!), the 80s we
had Toyotas ('84 Van Wagon '85 MR2), and since the
mid-90s mom & dad have been pretty diehard Honda owners
(including an '94 Accord, '03 Accord, and NSX today!).

The American cars ARE getting better, but the damage has been
done; I don't see Dad ever switching back!

When I bought my GS, I wanted a V8, rear-wheel drive car.
The American offerings were the Impala SS (was already
discontinued) and the Crown Vic - yeah, I want to drive
a cop car! The US made options today aren't much better, but
the Pontiac G8 shows some promise...
Old 12-02-07, 07:12 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bean
Have you sat in both? Pictures CAN be doctored up.
Neither picture is doctored up, that is the real Malibu interior. You are right, though, pictures can be deceiving because you can't get up close and feel the leather, plastics, and workmanship. Start pushing and pulling on those door panels and see how sturdy they feel or flip the sun visors up and down a few times and see how solid they are. Is the quality of the Malibu interior better than the Camry? I don't know, but you should be aware that GM' number one goal was to make the Malibu world class in quality, fit and finish. the new Malibu is supposed to be one of the highest quality fit and finish cars that GM has ever produced. Let's hope they're onto something.
Old 12-02-07, 10:12 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Nextourer
Let's not mix up quality with fit and finish.

I had a Cobalt Coupe 1LT as a rental during my week in Cali. Drove it 2,700 miles. The fit and finish on that car is amazing and definitely not what I expect from a domestic. However, the plastics are just crap. Yes they fit well, there's no uneveness but it's all hard "scratchy" plastic on the dash and door. The door panel fabric feels cheap. The radio buttons feel solid though.

So GM is halfway there with the Cobalt's interior. The rest of the car is just fine. I loved the suspension and the engine. The steering could be more weighted on the highway. Oh and it's very quiet... even at illegal speeds.
Exactly, Nextourer. Couldn't have said it better myself. You've described the Cobalt's..........and many of the newer GM interiors.......to a tee. The Cadillac CTS interior, however, is an exception..........its general quality is MORE than just skin-deep.
Old 12-02-07, 10:41 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Exactly, Nextourer. Couldn't have said it better myself. You've described the Cobalt's..........and many of the newer GM interiors.......to a tee. The Cadillac CTS interior, however, is an exception..........its general quality is MORE than just skin-deep.
Heh, thanks.

Hmm I've only sat in the new CTS' once at a mall. I remember the front passenger area being a bit tight (legroom?) but the materials seem better and don't have that "high school" dashboard found on the Escalade. Out of the 3 new cars - the CTS, Malibu and Aura, the CTS probably has the best chance to showcase GM's new quality focus. The Aura I sat in didn't impress me to be honest. Looking forward to sitting in the Malibu (probably at the auto show).