Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

I BEEN SCAMMED SELLING MY OWN CAR I AM NOW OUT OF ALOT OF MONEY PLEASE HELP Me !!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-07, 11:43 AM
Namir
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man, thats a terrible story, I feel really bad for you. It just goes to show that in a world like this, nice guys often do finish last. I guess you can't really trust anyone now days. I hope things work out for you, I think you best bet is to involve the authorities, if he has a history of scamming or does it again you could help take him down, and who knows... they might seize the assets he's acquired through his scams and you can get back your car somehow. Good luck.
Old 12-02-07, 11:43 AM
andsimp2
Driver

Any other solutions ? I am amazed how people can get away with fraud like this. He probaly beat plenty of other folks getting cars for dirt cheap probally less than what dealers buy them for.
Old 12-02-07, 11:49 AM
andsimp2
Driver

I wish I could repo my car back. Could I repo my car back ? Or can I call PFCU and have them do it ?
Old 12-02-07, 11:54 AM
esucaris1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

joeb427 is right you would be implicating yourself for trying to defaud the state of the taxes and the bill of sale is in the buyers favor... go out a do some target practice and imagine shooting him in tha a**...
Old 12-02-07, 11:59 AM
andsimp2
Driver

^True. The thing is it would look like I helped him defraud IL outta taxes for his benifit, and I might get in trouble myself for doing that. Its a bad situation. Anyway I can make this situation work in my favor ? I can imagine the legal fees would be alot of money.
Old 12-02-07, 12:05 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by andsimp2
Dude lives in some hood in Chicago on the southside. I aint gonna go there lookin for this fraud this is a dangerous situation to be in. Good thing I didnt write gift on the bill of sale and title. Then he would of had my car for free.
... and you would have had to pay gift taxes on it, to boot.
Old 12-02-07, 12:15 PM
chwang1973
Rookie

What is this guy's name, race and so on.....

So he doesn't scam anymore members.
Old 12-02-07, 12:23 PM
maxnix
Driver

Cool $7K Theft

The $7K check he stopped payment on is interstate wire fraud.

Go to the authorities.
Old 12-02-07, 12:26 PM
dsclar
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by andsimp2
^True. The thing is it would look like I helped him defraud IL outta taxes for his benifit, and I might get in trouble myself for doing that. Its a bad situation. Anyway I can make this situation work in my favor ? I can imagine the legal fees would be alot of money.
Sorry to hear about this. I'd say you're pretty screwed legally. And as you suggest, you may spend more in legal fees than you lost. I'd chalk this up to a huge life lesson. I'd guess that your age is part of the problem. Most young folks are a bit too trusting of others. It takes getting burned a few times to learn. As bad as losing $7k is, I'm sure you know that it could have been even worse.

OTOH, I got burned about 20 years ago by a client. I hadn't yet gotten my contractors license and he was a contractor. He stiffed me out of the last several thousand dollars of an AV installation I did for him. He knew that since I was unlicensed at the time, I had no legal recourse. Well I never did get my money, but I did get into his back yard (through the alley) and wired his speaker line to a voltage line he had out there. I'm pretty sure as soon as he switched his backyard speakers on, he destroyed his $2k amplifier.

This didn't get me my money back but made me feel a bit better. There were two issues for me. One was the money, but the other was knowing that this guy got the best of me. If nothing else, I rectified the later issue.

That said, I'm not necessarily recommending you try something like this. I wouldn't do this today, but I have a lot more now to lose, and I'm really concerned with karma. You are in a hole now, and you don't necessarily want to dig it any deeper. You'll still have to crawl out when you're done digging. May be best to just move on and be more careful in the future.

Best of luck to you whatever you decide to do. Btw, if you believe in karma, this guy will get eventually get his.
Old 12-02-07, 12:27 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

When I sold my last car, I sold it locally and went with the buyer to his credit union to pick up the cashier's check. It was either that or meeting the buyer in my bank with cash.

Regardless and as you already know, escalating this may not be the most prudent thing to do and here's why:
1. A court may refuse to hear your case as you might be guilty of the common law doctrine known as 'unclean hands,' which is exactly what it sounds like. Do a google search on this for more details.
2. A court may refuse to hear your case (as noted above) and alert your DA's/DOJ's office, who may bring charges of fraud against you.

If neither is a concern and you want to get back at the SOB whatever the cost, then there are a couple of things in your favor. However, if you're even considering this, read #1 and #2 again.
Old 12-02-07, 12:31 PM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this is exactly why i sold my last gs cash only. to avoid any and all bull**** like this. with the amount of scam artists and counterfeit "certified bank checks" and everything flooding the market you are NEVER 100% safe unless youre dealing with cash and proofing markers. $7k lesson learned: dont be nice to people you dont know no matter how "nice" they appear to you and trust no one.
Old 12-02-07, 12:32 PM
latinone
Driver School Candidate

This TOOL is wasting everyones time here and on the www.e46fanatics.com board with made up stories. Over there he got ripped off on his bmw 330 and here it is his is300.

do a search of his posts on the bimmer site and you will notice its all the same BS.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=526555
Old 12-02-07, 12:35 PM
latinone
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CRB
You were trying to help a crook defraud the state of IL. The only thing is he ended up taking you for $7K and the state for a mere six percent of that , but you knew he was a crook going in because he told you so through his request. You might want to omit the part about the second check being a scheme to short the state when you make your police report. Call it a $7,000 "education".

Hey, in the OP it was $24K and now it is $21K, you should figure out which one?
He doesnt know which one because he just got caught in a lie. Check out his posts here http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=526555
Old 12-02-07, 12:36 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by latinone
This TOOL is wasting everyones time here and on the www.e46fanatics.com board with made up stories. Over there he got ripped off on his bmw 330 and here it is his is300.

do a search of his posts on the bimmer site and you will notice its all the same BS.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=526555
It's funny.The more he posted on this thread,the more it looked like he was scamming us.

If he was,how sad is this guy's life.
Old 12-02-07, 12:37 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

I agree with what most of the others her are saying, your 7k is likely gone forever. I'm no lawyer, but it sounds like technically you helped the guy avoid taxes, which I'm pretty sure is illegal to begin with. Going to the authorities could likely get you into even more trouble.

EDIT: haha, I just read the thread at e45fanatics... Funny stuff, what a loser.

Last edited by Ramon; 12-02-07 at 12:44 PM.

Quick Reply: I BEEN SCAMMED SELLING MY OWN CAR I AM NOW OUT OF ALOT OF MONEY PLEASE HELP Me !!!!!!