Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Jaguar XKR, where is the love?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-07, 12:58 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not feeling the current line of Jags.
Old 12-04-07, 06:23 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by speedflex
My pleasure. The e-type was a beauty in its day... still is in fact.
Good pic, weird thing is, I still don't get it, even after seeing them in person. I guess back in the day, it must have been something (reading old review of it).

Old 12-04-07, 07:06 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Good pic, weird thing is, I still don't get it, even after seeing them in person. I guess back in the day, it must have been something (reading old review of it).
Ever seen a car with inboard disk brakes? What's the advantage of putting disk brakes inboard in the rear? You still get your independent rear suspension but you have only a fraction of the unsprung weight to deal with, just the wheel and tire out at the end of the half shaft and suspension arms, there is no brake assembly moving up and down with the suspension. Granted it isn't very good if parts of your anatomy grow larger by others seeing the color of your calipers through the wheels but as far as adopting racing technology in a road car, the E type did things that no one else did, not Ferrari or Aston Martin or Porsche. The E type, including the Series II I had, had inboard rear disks in the sixties when most cars still had four wheel drum brakes. Exactly which modern road cars with independent rear suspension have inboard brakes? Not talking about F1 cars if somebody decides to talk about them.

The Jag would overheat at idle in the middle of winter but between it and a Lotus, you could learn a lot about automotive suspension by just putting it up on jackstands and figuring what everything did. Then again back in the day, we twiddled our own wrenches and it gave you a different perspective. My L88 corvette was faster than the Jag but you could overdrive the vette brakes backing out of the driveway. Another old fart moment.