Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Please--Turn on Your Headights in the Rain

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-07, 12:20 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Yeah, depends on laws. Another law is in the USA, you cannot have your high-beams and your fog lamps on at the same time.
same law in Canada. In addition, Canadian law says you cannot have your foglights on without your headlights on. Kinda defeats the purpose of foglights IMO.
Old 12-05-07, 05:49 AM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't see a problem with wiper on - lights on thing at all. I drive mainly on higher speed roads (50mph - 65mph) so I see the need for your lights to be on as water on the roads gets splashed up and all.
Old 12-05-07, 07:38 AM
Koma

Originally Posted by Nextourer
same law in Canada. In addition, Canadian law says you cannot have your foglights on without your headlights on. Kinda defeats the purpose of foglights IMO.
I rewired my old Celica so I could turn on my foglights with just my parking/city lights on. It really does help to light the ground but not the fog in front of you.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Yeah, depends on laws. Another law is in the USA, you cannot have your high-beams and your fog lamps on at the same time.
You also can't have more than 4 front pointing lights in MA. Sorry rally guys and offroaders, you lose.

Originally Posted by Big Andy
That's a great feature on the IS as well - one that comes in handy winter mornings - but the best one is the Ford version where the fine wire is embedded in the entire front windscreen and defrosts at the press of a button. Too bad they have the patent on that.
I bet that windshield costs a fortune to replace.
Old 12-05-07, 09:06 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Trukn1 speaks from long experience, and we would do well to heed his words. As a long-time road warrior myself, I echo his sentiments completely. His view of the road, sitting elevated above most of us, is slightly better than that of the ordinary motorist because he is not totally buried in the spray. While he may have difficulty seeing us, at least he doesn't suffer from total blindness. He has plenty of other things to worry about.

Anything you can do to make yourself visible contributes to your chances of survival. The popularity of black cars, or particularly "silver" (primer grey to you and me) cars, blacked-out taillights, and other cosmetic affectations is advancing the time-honored art of camouflage. While that may look trendy out on the boulevard, under leaden skies on a rain-slick highway where spray is whipped into a dull grey blanket that seems to fill the holes between the raindrops, a lack of visibility can be deadly.

Whether it's the law or not, make yourself known. If it's bad enough to use your wipers, you need to be seen. It's dangerous enough out there, but driving around invisible approaches the level of suicide. Poor visibility means reducing speed and increasing concentration on the road ahead. Don't drive into a situation you cannot see developing in front of you. Finally, when it gets really bad, turn off the highway and stop and wait a few minutes for the squall to pass. Do not stop on the shoulder of a highway for any reason. Too many accidents have begun with blinded, distracted, or drunk drivers running right up between a parked car's taillights, with tragic results. Don't think because you are off the "roadway" you are safe. That won't be too impresive on your tombstone.

DRL's while good in clear weather, are pretty useless in heavy rain and spray. Although I once thought they were rather foolish, burning your headlights at half-power during the day, after seven years of use, they have become something I would not be without even on a clear day. But in lowering visibility, giving that headlight switch a twist might make the difference between a near miss and a head-on. You need all of the "Hey, I'm over here!" advertising you can get.

Another good idea for foul weather driving is a good coat of Rain-X or other glass treatment applied MONTHLY to the windshield and other windows. If you haven't used it, you'll be amazed at the difference it can make in your vision in nasty weather. My wife had an old Riviera with a nightmarish electrical system I often accused Buick of farming out to Lucas Electrics. The wipers would stop for no reason at all - sometimes for several minutes - before resuming normal operation. Rain-X had just come on the market, and after trying it she discovered at highway speed she could see better without the wipers than with them. So much for the busted electrics.
Old 12-05-07, 07:10 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Trukn1 speaks from long experience, and we would do well to heed his words
Sniff,, sniff,, Thanks Lil4X. Finally someone who seems to get my message.
Old 12-05-07, 09:36 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lil4X
Trukn1 speaks from long experience, and we would do well to heed his words. As a long-time road warrior myself, I echo his sentiments completely. His view of the road, sitting elevated above most of us, is slightly better than that of the ordinary motorist because he is not totally buried in the spray. While he may have difficulty seeing us, at least he doesn't suffer from total blindness. He has plenty of other things to worry about.

Anything you can do to make yourself visible contributes to your chances of survival. The popularity of black cars, or particularly "silver" (primer grey to you and me) cars, blacked-out taillights, and other cosmetic affectations is advancing the time-honored art of camouflage. While that may look trendy out on the boulevard, under leaden skies on a rain-slick highway where spray is whipped into a dull grey blanket that seems to fill the holes between the raindrops, a lack of visibility can be deadly.

Whether it's the law or not, make yourself known. If it's bad enough to use your wipers, you need to be seen. It's dangerous enough out there, but driving around invisible approaches the level of suicide. Poor visibility means reducing speed and increasing concentration on the road ahead. Don't drive into a situation you cannot see developing in front of you. Finally, when it gets really bad, turn off the highway and stop and wait a few minutes for the squall to pass. Do not stop on the shoulder of a highway for any reason. Too many accidents have begun with blinded, distracted, or drunk drivers running right up between a parked car's taillights, with tragic results. Don't think because you are off the "roadway" you are safe. That won't be too impresive on your tombstone.

DRL's while good in clear weather, are pretty useless in heavy rain and spray. Although I once thought they were rather foolish, burning your headlights at half-power during the day, after seven years of use, they have become something I would not be without even on a clear day. But in lowering visibility, giving that headlight switch a twist might make the difference between a near miss and a head-on. You need all of the "Hey, I'm over here!" advertising you can get.

Another good idea for foul weather driving is a good coat of Rain-X or other glass treatment applied MONTHLY to the windshield and other windows. If you haven't used it, you'll be amazed at the difference it can make in your vision in nasty weather. My wife had an old Riviera with a nightmarish electrical system I often accused Buick of farming out to Lucas Electrics. The wipers would stop for no reason at all - sometimes for several minutes - before resuming normal operation. Rain-X had just come on the market, and after trying it she discovered at highway speed she could see better without the wipers than with them. So much for the busted electrics.
DRLs are very useful up north when it's a clear sunny day and the sun is low on the horizon. Boy do DRLS help when the sun's in your eyes for most of the day and all you see are two dim lights on the other lane.

Originally Posted by Koma
I rewired my old Celica so I could turn on my foglights with just my parking/city lights on. It really does help to light the ground but not the fog in front of you.
Yeah there's a DIY to do that but in my case, it's pointless cause I have those headlights where one bulb does both low and high beam which means my DRLs are not "high beams at reduced intensity". In fact my DRLs are nearly 80% full low beams so even if I could turn on the foglights without the full headlights, I still have the DRLs to contend with.

On other cars, that wouldn't be a problem since the high beam DRLs are pretty dim anyway (except the stupid Grand Cherokee which seems to run at full intensity high beam).
Old 12-06-07, 12:13 AM
miniround
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

first off, if your mom or grandma lives in Boca Raton, FL and frequently drives on Glades Road, please ask her to either a)open her eyes or b)stay home. today some Acura TL sideswiped me a little bit on the whole gold paint on my drivers side. I saw her getting close and honked a lot. Welcome to FL. Fkn 86 years old, Acura TL driver...i mean seriously. I wasnt going to bring it up, but this is a good place. She's gunna pay because she thought she was experienced. They, yes THEY, have no sense of their surroundings and therefore hit innocent people like me. And since we have people like that in FL (and also since i disabled my DRL's), whenever it rains i put my running lights on (which are now just the 2 tiny lights in the assembly and my tails) so that people see me!
Old 12-06-07, 12:24 AM
miniround
Lexus Test Driver

Oh another thing. If anyone has a newer Audi or knows anyone with one, please listen up and relay this info to them.

Fog lights:

When you go to turn your headlights on, you turn the dial 2 clicks to the right. Then, you will notice on the bottom of the dial, around 7 oclock, there are pictures for your foglights. Listen carefully so that you stop blinding people for no reason:
to turn foglights on you pull out the dial, correct? stop pulling the dial out all the way! Unless it is raining or really foggy, only pull the dial out once. Obviously, since you are driving, you will notice that if you pull the dial out once, fogs come on, but if you go ahead and pull twice, SINCE YOU ARE DRIVING, you will not notice that blinding rear tail lamp bright as hell almost pink foglights have also come on in the back. During normal driving conditions at night, they are so dumb/blinding so please Audi Driver's, only pull out the dial once unless you dont think people behind you can see your car!
Old 12-06-07, 12:52 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Koma

I bet that windshield costs a fortune to replace.
Probably, but you don't pay do you? Your insurance picks up the tab.
Old 12-06-07, 03:53 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by miniround
Oh another thing. If anyone has a newer Audi or knows anyone with one, please listen up and relay this info to them.

Fog lights:

When you go to turn your headlights on, you turn the dial 2 clicks to the right. Then, you will notice on the bottom of the dial, around 7 oclock, there are pictures for your foglights. Listen carefully so that you stop blinding people for no reason:
to turn foglights on you pull out the dial, correct? stop pulling the dial out all the way! Unless it is raining or really foggy, only pull the dial out once. Obviously, since you are driving, you will notice that if you pull the dial out once, fogs come on, but if you go ahead and pull twice, SINCE YOU ARE DRIVING, you will not notice that blinding rear tail lamp bright as hell almost pink foglights have also come on in the back. During normal driving conditions at night, they are so dumb/blinding so please Audi Driver's, only pull out the dial once unless you dont think people behind you can see your car!
God damn, I hate those rear fogs!
Old 12-06-07, 06:45 AM
Koma

Originally Posted by Big Andy
Probably, but you don't pay do you? Your insurance picks up the tab.
Not always.
Old 12-06-07, 11:33 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by miniround

Fog lights:

What he said. It usually isn't a problem but for whatever reason, it's a new fad up here to drive with the rear fogs on because I'm seeing more and more drivers leaving it on.

Now when it was snowing like hell (bad analogy I know) on the I-5, I was glad to have that MINI Cooper S have his rear fogs on (in fact I was kinda sad when he turned it off later cause it was a good visual aid) but when it's sunny outside, I don't need a bright light blinding me.
Old 12-06-07, 01:30 PM
miniround
Lexus Test Driver

haha i'm so right! it's horrible that people don't even wonder "hm why does the dial come out 2 clicks?"
Old 12-06-07, 05:21 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Nextourer
What he said. It usually isn't a problem but for whatever reason, it's a new fad up here to drive with the rear fogs on because I'm seeing more and more drivers leaving it on.

Now when it was snowing like hell (bad analogy I know) on the I-5, I was glad to have that MINI Cooper S have his rear fogs on (in fact I was kinda sad when he turned it off later cause it was a good visual aid) but when it's sunny outside, I don't need a bright light blinding me.
I am willing to bet that almost all of those drivers have no idea they are on, and probably have no idea they have rear fog lights at all.

There's one car that I pass many mornings on my way to work--has its high beams on every day (it's got to be over a year I've been seeing this). I flash, honk--nothing. It would not surprise me if that person doesn't even know what a "high beam" is.
Old 12-06-07, 08:52 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Headlights/foglights on...in the rain, in the clouds, in the BRIGHT glaring sunlight...don't matter. I just want to be seen.

Quick Reply: Please--Turn on Your Headights in the Rain