Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Merry Christmas, CL....Special Holiday Review: 2008 Infiniti M45

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-07, 05:21 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by skater
mmarshall, excellent review. By far one of the most thorough & comprehensive review I have ever seen by a member of any forum

Thanks, skater.

Unlike auto-enthusiast publications like Car and Driver, Road and Track, etc....which are heavily performance and track-oriented, and mechanical/tech-oriented magazines like Popular Mechanics that concentrate mostly in the car's engineering, I try and present a clear picture of, when you buy the car, what you will actually experience and have to live with in general traffic, cargo carrying and access, comfort level, and general road manners.....in short, what you will actually get for your money and have to live with, day-to-day. I'm not necessarily interested in wringing out the best 0-60 time, braking distance, or ultimate skidpad figure...there are enough publications out there already that do that.

Most people work hard for their money, and cars like a loaded M45 are not cheap. Plunk down that kind of cash......or even $12,000-$13,000 for a base Kia Rio or Hyundai Accent, which, for those working at or near minimim wage, may represent 9 or 10 months' worth of income, and they have a right to know what they are getting for their $$$. That's why I do the type of reviews I do.
Old 12-07-07, 03:36 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I'm aware of the comparison of the outside/inside dimensions between the M and Q. First, though, numbers alone don't always tell the story. Regardless of "cubic feet" dimensions, how much practical room you have for passengers and cargo will depend on many factors......shapes of the actual compartments themselves, height and slope of the roofline, intrusion of sunroof housings, shapes and height of the seats, seat-folding design, shape of the dash, etc..... take two cars of equal interior dimensions, and depending on the design, one could comfortably hold an NBA guy while the other would cramp a munchkin (I'm being facetious here but I think you get the point ). A good example of this is the contrast between the Ford Taurus (Five Hundred) and the Crown Victoria. The Taurus is substantially roomier inside, despite smaller exterior dimensions...the Crown Vic's dated, old-school design and RWD space inefficiency (despite the fact that cops and taxi drivers like it) clearly work against it.

That is why, during a review, I am careful to note the practical level of comfort, legroom, headroom, trunk space, etc.....that you actually have and experience (especially for a big heavy guy like me), not just the paper specs.
For example, in the M45 review, I noted that the trunk, while generally roomy, had a narrow and compromised opening because of the shape, slope and height of the roofline and trunk lid. That means that larger or bulky items may not go in very easily.
I think we agree here - the basic premise (at least my point is) that the Q45 "felt" tighter inside than the M45. I think that's why they often give you actual dimensions for hip room, head room, shoulder room, etc. Not that even that is perfect but it is a start.

of note, to date, the most uncomfortable small car (in terms of interior space) I was ever in was a Hummer H1 Wagon. Amazing how small the inside of that thing is.
Old 12-07-07, 03:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by doug_999
of note, to date, the most uncomfortable small car (in terms of interior space) I was ever in was a Hummer H1 Wagon. Amazing how small the inside of that thing is.
The H1 is enormous inside, but the huge center consoles eat up most of the seating space. All you have left is four little cubbyholes with seats in them.

But you have to consider that the civilian H1 was derived from a military vehicle built for toughness, extreme off-road capability, and survival in battle, not for passenger comfort.
Old 12-07-07, 10:27 PM
rsantiago
Pole Position

MMarshall, thanks for another terrific review.

If you ask me, I would just avoid the pricey options and just go with the tech/sports package, 10k for the premium package is pretty hard to swallow.
Old 12-08-07, 05:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rsantiago
MMarshall, thanks for another terrific review.

If you ask me, I would just avoid the pricey options and just go with the tech/sports package, 10k for the premium package is pretty hard to swallow.
Thanks. And more reviews are coming up......the new Chevy Malibu and Smart-for-Two are next on my list, though available Smarts for test-drives won't be in my area till early next year.

I agree that the Premium package (which includes both the Tech and Advanced Tech packages with it) is outrageous, but even that is not the highest I've seen. The optional Luxury Package on the last Lexus LS430 ran almost $12,000 retail.

If you do opt for the Sport package on the M45, the handling response will probably bring a smile to your face ........but find a moderately rough stretch of road to check out the ride comfort. This is not a Town Car, and the ride with the Sport package may or may not be too firm for your tastes (it was for mine).

And, of course, make sure the recomended tire pressures are correct on the car for an accurate ride-handling check..........the service/prep guys at the dealerships often forget to do that. The SAY they don't, but they DO.
Old 12-08-07, 06:12 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The H1 is enormous inside, but the huge center consoles eat up most of the seating space. All you have left is four little cubbyholes with seats in them.

But you have to consider that the civilian H1 was derived from a military vehicle built for toughness, extreme off-road capability, and survival in battle, not for passenger comfort.
You miss my point -

From a comfort perspective it is terrible.

Not saying the Q45 was uncomfortable by any means, just that it didn't feel (nor have) the room of the M45 - even though it was bigger on the outside.
Old 12-08-07, 09:27 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by doug_999
You miss my point -

From a comfort perspective it is terrible.

Not saying the Q45 was uncomfortable by any means, just that it didn't feel (nor have) the room of the M45 - even though it was bigger on the outside.
How did I miss your point?
I clearly stated, like you did, the H1's low comfort level....and the reason for it.

As for the Q, again I agree with you...its more dated design shows up in a less space-efficient interior than the M. And for an even better example in interior space inefficiency, check out the Ford Crown Vic, Mercury Grand Marquis, and Lincoln Town Car triplets. While police and taxi drivers still like the Crown Vic for various reasons, the interior space, and that of its two brothers, is nowhere near consistant with the large outside dimensions.
Old 12-09-07, 08:06 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Thanks for the review mmarshal, I was very impressed with the M45/35 the last times I have sat in it. When I saw it had awd in the v8 model I was even more impressed that Infiniti stepped up and made that car even though it will probrably not sell in great numbers, I rarely if ever see v8 Ms on the road but then again I rarely see v8 GS or IS350s. When it comes time for another vehicle I will be certainly considering a used M or used RL. Both are great cars and you and I seem to share the opinion.