Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Merry Christmas, CL....Special Holiday Review: 2008 Infiniti M45

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-07, 09:05 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Merry Christmas, CL....Special Holiday Review: 2008 Infiniti M45

By tradition, a special Christmas review.......the 2008 Infiniti M45X AWD, with a check-test of the RWD M45 Sport.

http://www.infiniti.com/m/models.html

In a Nutshell: A great luxury/sport sedan: quick, agile, well-built, and well-finished, but pricey with major options.

Each year, by tradition, during the December holiday season, I do a unique review of a special, upscale, sedan or sports car of widespread interest to CL members; a car that is widely discussed, recommended, posted, and inquired about. Last year, I chose the all-new Lexus LS460...the new Lexus flagship, although it has since been more or less superseded by the LS600H, a car that, for all intents and purposes, is a super-luxury niche vehicle that is almost totally special-ordered...few Lexus dealers have them in stock.

This year, I chose the new Infiniti M45 for several reasons. First, with the demise of the late Infiniti Q45 in the American market, it is Infiniti's new sedan flagship. Second, it is a car held in wide respect by a lot of CL members. Third, it is a close competitor to the Lexus GS460 and the BMW 550. Fourth, CL members often consider it as a possible purchase. And, Fifth, Infiniti itself has been promising better quality and fit/finish on its new models, although the G and M line of Infiniti vehicles have generally not had the quality and reliability problems of some other recent Nissan and Infiniti products. Past G models, however, have shown some of the aforementioned fit-and-finish problems.

I chose the new M45X AWD for the main review, mainly for two reasons........First, we're getting into the winter season, and some people may want the greater sure-footedness of AWD in rain or snow, and, Second, AWD provides some advantages even in other seasons and conditions as well.....better stability in crosswinds, for example, more even tire wear, and better traction in mud and sand (although one does not buy a car like this, of course, to be a Jeep). But I'm also well aware that some of you CL guys are serious driving enthusiasts, and want the maximum in acceleration and handling, regardless of the stiffer ride. So, for you guys, I check-tested a 2007 M45 Sport model (2008 M45 Sport packages, at this writing, are hard to come by......dealerships are typically getting just a few per month, and most are pre-sold). But, anyway, there are few differences between the 2007 Sport Package and the 2008.....mostly in trim.

Infiniti introduced the first-generation M45 model to the American market, in 2003, more or less in the shadow of its big brother Q45. The first M45, in some ways, was considered a bargain, as it packed the Q45's 340 HP V8 and many of its luxury/sport features into a smaller, less expensive package. But that package. bargain that it was, simply failed to sell.........like the current Pontiac GTO, its rather plain and frumpy styling didn't endear it to a lot of potential buyers. And, unlike the GTO,which was somewhat curved and aero-looking, the original M45 was the very definition of three-box styling. It was, for the most part, a rebadged, Japanese-market Nissan family sedan with a powerhouse engine and some electronic goodies....and looked more or less like a low-riding Jeep Cherokee with a trunk. Infiniti quickly saw that, like its big-brother Q45, this car just was not going to make it in the American and market, and it was quietly dropped after just two Years.

The second M35/M45 series was modeled and styled, more or less, after the very successful G35 sedan, and enjoyed much greater success than the first, boxy-looking car. As in the AWD G35X, AWD was offered first in the M35X and then expanded to the M45X. Like with BMW and some other competititors, a Sport Package was offered for better handling. Both the G and M series garnered a lot of respect from automotive writers and auto magazines. Best of all, unlike some other Nissan/Infiniti products, both the G and the M-series were generally reliable. But, unlike the G35 coupe and sedan, which, at first, had questionable fit/finish and some cheap-looking parts and trim inside, the M-series was far more polished right from the start.....I myself reviewed an AWD M35X a couple of years ago and commented on its good fit/finish and the smart matte-wood trim inside. Infiniti has, to some extent, since corrected the G35's fit-and-finish problems, but the M45 really didn't need much correcting....it had more attention put into it the first time.

Meanwhile, big-brother Q45's sales continued to slump, and, in fact, for several reasons, were never very good to start with. Nissan's marketers watched the Q45's American-market numbers drop more and more each year (it was essentially a upscale Japenese-market Nissan Cima), and the company finally decided to put it out of its misery. So, now, the honor of being Infiniti's flagship sedan falls to the new M45.

And, a nice flagship it is, although it lacks the size, smooth ride, and the tomb-like quietness of the Lexus LS460 flagship. From the start, the M-series were designed to be medium-to-large size sport/luxury sedans, not full-size luxocruisers like the Lexus LS series. The M-series, in general, has a firm ride, good steering response, and engines that will get out of their own way.......especially the M45 Sport. The M-series is basically marketed as the RWD M35, AWD M35X, RWD M45, and AWD M45X. Sport, Premium, Techology, and Advanced Technology packages are essentially offered as options, not separate trim lines. These packages, especially the Premium Package, which includes both the Technology and Advanced Technology Packages with it, are not cheap, and they can add many thousands to the sticker price.

All M35 models carry the same engine as the G35.....Nissan's ubiquitous and well-respected, 275 HP 3.5L V6. All M45 models carry the company's also well-respected 4.5L 32-valve V8 with 325 HP.....down a little from the old 340 HP V8 on the first-generation car, but more likely just a different HP measuring system than a real loss of power. Only one transmission is offered......a 5-speed, Sport-Shift automatic with engine-rev matching downshifts....here, of course, BMW and some other competitors have an advantage for driving enthusiasts with their wider choice of automatics, manuals and SMTs. The AWD X models use what Infiniti calls its "Intelligent" AWD system (seems like every manufacturer nowadays has a different code word to describe how their AWD systems work). AWD, however, is not avaliable with the Sport package, which is RWD only.

I'll go into the details later in the review, of course, but, overall, I was pleased with this car and the package it offers. IMO, it could use some changes and refinements, of course.....I have yet to see what I consider a perfect car. But, I didn't have many or serious complaints with either model I drove...both seemed to be generally well-enginered and well-built. But, Amigos, be prepared to open your wallets and give the dealers Mucho Dinero for these cars.....they are not econoboxes, especially with the aforementioned major package options. My AWD M45X, with the Premium Package, listed for a whopping $63,775......along with the BMW 550i, one of the two most expensive mid-sized sedans I have recently tested. And Infiniti and its dealerships are not alone here in picking your pocket, either......Big Daddy Government in Washington has decided that the M45's particular engine-transmission combination gulps sufficient quantities of the world's dwindling supply of liquid dinosaur remains to justify a $1300 Federal Gas Guzzler Tax on each one sold in the American market, just for the priviledge of parking one in your driveway. Thanks, Big Brother..........you're really watching out for us.

So, how does this classic wallet-thinning vehicle perform and stack up to its new role as Infiniti's flagship sedan? For the answers, read on.

Model Reviewed: 2008 Infiniti M45X AWD

Base price: $51,850

Major Options:

Premium Package: $9650

Splash Guards: $160

Carpeted Trunk Mat: $100

Destination: $715

Federal Gas Tax: $1300

List Price as Reviewed: $63,775

Exterior Color: Moonlight White

Interior: Wheat Leather/African Rosewood

Drivetrain: Intelligent AWD, longitutional-mount 4.5L DOHC V8, 325 HP @ 6400 RPM, Torque, 336 ft-lbs. @ 4000 RPM,
5-speed automatic with manual-shift mode and engine-rev downshift matching.

PLUSSES:

Sophisticated, seamless AWD system.

Powerful, torquey, but not particularly quiet engine.

Muscle-car performance.

Slick-shifting transmission and automanual modes.

Generally well-done brakes.

Great handling and steering response with both AWD and Sport models.

Superb exterior fit and finish.

Solid, well-crafted exterior hardware and trim.

Slick, high-quality paint job........especially in Pearl (Moonlight) White

High-quality seat leather.

New white lighting for gauges a marked improvement over the previous yellow-orange.

Generally superb interior fit-and-finish, hardware, and trim.

African Rosewood, matte-finish wood trim (in non-Sport versions) some of the best on the market.

Simple, clear control layout....with a few exceptions.

Power tilt/telescope steering wheel.

Automatic tilt-down mirrors in reverse.

Good stereo quality.

Solid-closing doors.

Better-Than-Average reliability record of past M45s bodes well for this design.

NAV system has Voice Recognition....but a lot of buttons.

Rear-seat DVD and music systems with headphones.

Good legroom front and rear.

New 3.9% financing incentives available (as of today, BTW).

Well-finished trunk.

Solid structure devoid of squeaks and rattles.

MINUSES:

Pricey with package options.

Fairly noisy engine by luxury car standards.

Too-narrow a range of exterior colors offered (see the web site).

Ride in both AWD and Sport versions slightly too firm (IMO) for a luxury car.
(opinions on this, of course, will vary...I understand that)

Trunk opening too small for bulky items.

Temporary spare tire inappropriate for a $60,000 car.

Marginal headroom for tall people in rear seat with standard moonroof.

Underhood access borders on absurd.

Power steering feel/effort could be improved.

NAV system and dash controller clearly labeled but complex.

Lane-Departure beeper system too sensitive and intrusive....but can be turned off.

Rather loud turn-signal flashers.

Leather seat cushions quite firm, especially in rear seat.
(again, I know opinions will differ on this)

Flimsy glove box and center-console cover latches.

The first impression you get of this car, as you walk up to it, is its close and unmistakable similiarity to little-brother G35/G37 sedans. In fact, the two are even roughly similiar in size........even with my trained and experienced eye for car recognition, I sometimes had to walk up close enough to the trunk lids to make out the G or M designations. The G is considered a mid-sized car, the M, borderline mid/full-sized. Having said that, this car is a real treat on the outside. The slickness and quality of the paint job, the quality of the chrome trim, mirrors, hardware, and door solidness is all excellent. The paintwork is as smooth as a baby's butt, but not quite as totally free of orange peel as a rival Lexus paint job. And, while the choice of colors offered are not ugly (especially the gorgeous Moonlight White Pearl), the total choice of colors is exceedingly odd. There is the white, two very similiar shades of bluish/gray slate, two similiar shades of desert sand, silver, light platinum gray, and black.....that's it. Go figure. Fortunately, the smart interiors and the beautiful African wood trim make up for it.

Like I said, though, everything on the exterior is well-done, and fits well. The outside mirrors and housings are made of high-quality materials, swivel easily, and side into place with a smooth, solid click (That's one of the things I generally notice the most when I check out bodywork). Chrome is shiny, fitted well, and flawless. Doors, hood, and trunk all open and close smoothly, solidly, and precisely, although IMO the trunk lid is too small for larger or bulky items to fit through easily.....a concession to the short rear overhangs and swept-roofline. And I'll say it again.....Gosh, is White Pearl paint nice. (the 2007 M45 Sport model I check-tested had a nice red metallic, that, unfortunately and inexplicably, was dropped for 2008).

The trunk, otherwise, is fairly roomy and quite well-finished, once you shoehorn your bulky items through the small opening. The liner is a high grade of carpet, and a net at the back holds onto packages and items you don't want sliding around. But, please, Infiniti......pulling up the floor cover and seeing a dummy, temporary spare tire hung on a cheap, stamped steel wheel in a $63,000 car is nothing short of an insult. Surely, Mr. Ghosn can allow the bean counters to do a little better than that. My $31,000 Lexus IS300.....a car less than half this price........had a real spare tire and aluminum alloy wheel.

Open the hood, and you will find another insult. Not the well-respected engine, mind you, or the nice dual struts that hold up the hood without an awkward prop rod, but simply the fact that nothing, and I mean NOTHING, is accessable short of the oil dipstick, oil filler cap, and windshield washer cap. The BIG plastic engine cover on the longitudionally-mounted 4.5L V8 and aditional plastic covers and partitions all over the underhood space hide and block off literally everything. Battery, master cylinder, engine computers, ABS hardware, hoses, belts, filters......you name it, nothing is readily accessable. Unless I just missed it, you can't even get to the radiator cap. If Mr. Ghosn had to service these cars himself, you sure wouldn't see designs like this very long.

Like the outside, being inside the car, for the most part, is a treat as well, although a couple of things, IMO, need some minor work. My test M45 had the attractive beige leather (Infiniti calls it "Wheat) along with the now-common black upper door panels and upper dash. The perforated leather on the seats appeared to be of very high quality (better then on some non-Jaguar European competitors I've seen), and very well stitched and fitted, obviously having come from cattle carefully raised and penned. The seat cushions, though, were a little firm for my tastes, especially in the rear seat, though the two multi-adjustable front buckets were otherwise comfortable and well-shaped for support while cornering (and this car, for a sedan, WILL corner...more on that later). Here's where my recent 30-lb. weight loss comes in handy....I'm not quite as cramped in side-bolstered seats like this as I used to be. Front-seat headroom, for tall people, was OK but not abundant under the standard moonroof housing....for once, because it was so cold and windy outside (35 degrees with 40-knot gusts), I exchanged my ubiquitous baseball-style cap for a knit winter pull-on hat, and it made a slight difference in headroom. Front legroom was fine.....and with the power tilt/telescoping steering column, finding a comfortable driving position was no problem.
Rear legroom, with the front seat adjusted for me, was fine for average-sized people, OK for people my size. Headroom, with the somewhat swept-back rooline and moonroof housing, was marginal for people my size.....my head, with pull-on winter hat, was just brushing the ceiling, but not bent forward.

Infiniti has been promising better quality and fit/finish for its new interiors, although, IMO, unlike some other Infiniti models, there was nothing wrong with the old M-series' interiors, looks or quality-wise, to start with. Still, Infiniti has certainly delivered on the latest M35/M45. I've already mentioned the nice leather on the seats, available in stone (light gray) and graphite (black) colors, too, depending on the package. Sadly, the handsome saddle tan leather from last year has been dropped on the 2008's. With only two or three small glitches.....a rather flimsy-feeling but lockable glove box latch, an even flimsier-feeling latch for the center console flip-up cover, and, perhaps, green turn-signal arrows that were
louder-clicking than necessary (they seem designed for those with hearing aids or driving to AARP conventions), almost nothing inside seems cheap, flimsy, or poorly-made (In fact, Infiniti used such nice materials inside, maybe that's one of the reasons why they dumped that El Cheapo spare tire and wheel back in the trunk). The semi-matte-finish African Rosewood trim (used on all non-Sport models and available with some Sport Packages as well), has long been one of my favorites...to me, it has a much warmer and more natural look than the highly polished wood you see in some of its competitiors. Other Sport Package models use a smart-looking "aluminum" trim that actually has, more or less, the textured look and feel of carbon-fiber. I myself prefer the wood, but the aluminum, sport-carbon-fiber look, in this car, is also handsome and something I could easily live with. I do wish they had kept the lighter Rosewood shade from last year.....they darkened it up a little this year, but, of course, that is a individual cosmetic preference. And, darker or not, it still looks great.

All the rest of the interior components seem well-designed and made, too. The hardware, buttons, controls, stalks, and levers all have a general high-quality feel and slickness of operation, though not quite to the superb Honda/Acura standards. Labels and functions are all clearly marked, though the NAV system, naturally, like most cars, is a little complex. It comes with a voice activation system that allows you to cancel or repeat messages.....I tried it several times, feeding in my home address, and it seems to work well. But, like most such systems, it is a little complex for my tastes, though it seems to work better and easier than BMW's I-Drive or Audi's MMI, even while integrating the stereo/sound system functions with it. The dash controller for the system also has a much more solid, high-quality feel to it than the plastic BMW and Audi controller *****...and it has small auxillary buttons that cancel or re-activate features. Some of those functions, like the Lane-Departure and high-tech telephone syetems, can also be found on the well-done and handsome steering wheel. The stereo itself has sound quality that is markedly better than average (as it should be in a car of this price range), though not quite to the superb standards of the Lexus Mark Levinson units....when I tuned in some rather loud rap music from a local station in D.C. the bass in the speakers definitely responded. The primary speedometer, tachometer, fuel, and temperature gauges are all well-designed, with easy-to-read markings, and, like on some competitiors, set back in small circular tunnels to minimize outside glare. One thing I've never liked on some past Nissan/Infiniti products is the backlit, electroluminescent yellow-orange lighting lighting for the gauges.....the change to white back-lit lighting this year, IMO, was a good move, and IMO makes the panel more pleasant to scan. The traditional oval, chrome-ringed, analog Infiniti dash clock, of course, is there....a feature increasingly being copied by some competitors. And a proximity key pulls out of a box-like housing separately to lock the glove box latch and lock/unlock the doors manually if desired.

OK, this is marketed, of course, as a drivers' car and a luxury/sports sedan, so let's do that....drive. First, get everything adjusted properly, of course (the automatic seat/steering/mirror memory function helps with this once you get them set). With the proximity key in the area and your foot on the brake, press the now-common-for-luxury cars start button, and the 4.5L V8 fires to life. While V8-smooth, of course, it is not Lexus-quiet...the engineers seem to have left a little exhaust burble in. Give it a minute or two to get a little oil pressure and engine heat up in the cold air, and then take off. This engine is a real powerhouse, even with the added weight and drag of AWD. Let the engine temperature reach normal, put your right foot down, and the shove you get in your back, once you hit the peak torque band right around 3500-4000 RPM, is reminiscent of late 60's muscle cars I remember from my youth. I didn't have timing gear with me, of course, nor did I go much over 4000 RPM because the engine was new and un-broken in, but I would estimate a general 0-60 time, in the cold air and those conditions, of around 5.5 seconds. The RWD 2007 M45 Sport Model I check-tested, without the weight and drag of AWD, of course, was even quicker...you got a noticeably stronger shove at the same RPM's, and, under the same conditions, I would estimate 5.0 seconds for 0-60 (though I could be off a little on both). In traffic, with both cars, but especially the Sport model, you have to be careful when you hit the gas...if the car in front of you is too close, you can easily run right up his rear bumper. The already audible exhaust I mentioned at idle got louder, of course, as you hit the gas and picked up speed.....this is not a car for library-quietness.

Both versions I drove, of course, had the 5-speed automatic transmission with the manual Sport-Shift feature, as no other transmission is offered, and the shifts were smooth but positive, even under heavy throttle. The engine's computer is tied to the transmission as well, and aggressive transmission downshifts are automatically tied to engine RPM to prevent jolts and lurching. The shift lever, on the console, feels smooth, slick-operating, and made of quality materials, including the leather wrap.

One thing on the road that was irritating at times was the overly-aggressive Lane-Departure system, which operates from a camera and sounds a beeper when Nanny decides that you've strayed from the EXACT center of the lane. whether you're on a on a straight road or on a curve, get anywhere near either the painted centerline or the shoulder and the beep-beep is incessant. Correct the drift in one direction and then the beeper sounds the other way. Fortunately, Nanny can be silenced with a simple switch on the steering wheel, but then a green dash light comes on to distract you and tell you naughty-naughty....you're on your own now. The system, obviously, is a good idea for those who tend to fall asleep at the wheel, but IMO Infiniti would be wise to re-program the system to make it less sensitive, less irritating, and more pleasant to use....obviously, it won't do its job if annoyed drivers keep turning it off.

Both versions of the M45 I drove had a ride that was rather firm for my tastes, although, to some extent, this is expected in a sports sedan, and opinions, of course, vary on what is uncomfortably firm and what is not. The AWD version, though a little firm, with the standard suspension and 45-series Goodyear Eagle GS-A all-season tires, was, not surprisingly, noticeably easier on the bumps than the more stiffly-sprung Sport model with the 40-series Bridgestone Potenza summer high-performance tires, even though the AWD car, of course, has more hardware and unsprung weight which can add to suspension load. Both models had about the same level of wind noise...generally very well-sealed. Strangely, though, (and I don't have an answer for this one), the AWD's all-season tires made noticeably more tire noise and road on coarse asphalt surfaces than the more aggressive high-performance tires on the Sport model....usually it is the other way around.

Handling, as expected, was very good on both cars....for a sedan of this size, superbly so in the Sport model. The AWD model had quick response with little body roll, the Sport model even quicker response with almost zero body roll. Both versions were relatively neutral in handling at the speeds and cornering forces I gave them (and, rest assured, I didn't drive like Grandma, though I used common sense), with little understeer or oversteer. The Sport Package has a feature that includes a small amount of suspension-induced Active-Steer for the rear wheels to help sharpen steering response even more. In extreme conditions, the RWD Sport model, without the stabilizing effect of AWD, would probably generate more oversteer and tail-sliding, although, of course, on public roads with traffic, I didn't push either car that far. But, rest assured that, driven with any common sense at all (and especially with Nanny constantly reminding you about your lane position) this is not a car that will likely wind you up in the ditch, and the AWD, of course,
just adds that much more traction in bad weather.

While not the worst I've seen by any means, the power steering feel, especially given the car's good handling response, could be improved. The steering, while quick and acurate in both versions, lacked the firm effort and superb road feel found in, say, BMWs. Overall, the power-steering pump and hydraulics (this does not seem to be an electric power steering system like on some cars) could use some reprogramming to add more steering effort...it felt a little too light and overboosted for my tastes. Or, perhaps, a multi-position, variable, steering-effort switch could be added like on some Lincolns. This might also help a litle in staying one step ahead of Nanny's squawk-box.

Brakes were OK for an upscale sport sedan, but lack a little of the super-firm pedal feeling you get with German competitors like BMW and Audi. Response was smooth, linear, and well-proportioned, but with a slight (very slight) amount of pedal-sponginess. No problems were encountered with poorly-spaced pedals hanging up on my big size-15 clown-shoes like I get in some vehicles.....my feet slid from pedal to pedal smoothly and freely. As befitting a car....and especially a luxury/sport-sedan.....of this price range, numerous electronic brake-safety functions are standard, as is, of course, traction control and stability systems.

The Verdict?

Needless to say, this, overall, for sport-sedan enthusiasts, is an impressive car in many ways.....but, be prepared to fork over some $$$$$.....and the greedy-gas-money, of course, to the IRS. You can save some money if you forego the AWD versions or the expensive Package options.........but then, of course, you also give up some of the car's best features in handling, technology, and traction. Overall, it is excellent competition for other upscale Japanese, American, and European sport/luxury sedans, but it wouldn't be my first choice, regardless of price, as a daily driver....the ride in both versions is too firm for my tastes, especially the Sport model, and I don't need a car this BMW-responsive on tight turns. The trunk opening is also a little too small for my needs. And I like a car (like the Outback) with higher ground clearance for snow and obstacles.

But for BMW-philes, if you want a nice sport/luxury sedan, don't want to deal with the arrogance at BMW dealerships (not all BMW shops are like that, of course, but enough are to give the brand that reputation), and are willing to give up a little of the famed, slick, BMW steering and road feel, this may be a car for you. Its overall quality and interior fit/finish, IMO, trumps that of many BMW's, there is all the power.....and more.....you could ever want for any kind of reasonable driving with common sense. Like some BMW's, AWD comes in handy for those who drive in bad-weather areas. 50-60K, or more, is a lot of money to plunk down for any car, but, even for this, kind of money, you could do a lot worse.

Merry Christmas, everyone.......till next year's Holiday review.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-05-07 at 09:46 AM.
Old 12-05-07, 10:06 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Great review (once again)!!!

So, who should be more concerned about the M: BMW with their 5-Series, or Lexus with the GS? It seems that Infiniti wants the best from both (BMW sportiness with Lexus refinement), but doesn't quite excel in either.

What do you think about the competition?
Old 12-05-07, 10:31 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the great review! Yes Infiniti's got it just about right with the M45 and it shows in the sales numbers. BTW the GS also gets only a donut spare in the trunk if I remember correctly.
Old 12-05-07, 11:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Great review (once again)!!!

So, who should be more concerned about the M: BMW with their 5-Series, or Lexus with the GS? It seems that Infiniti wants the best from both (BMW sportiness with Lexus refinement), but doesn't quite excel in either.

What do you think about the competition?
I personally like the GS because of its smoother ride, greater refinement, and whisper-quietness....but that is, of course, just a personal opinion on my part. The 5-series has great steering and chassis dynamics, but its overall build quality and interior, IMO, can't compete with the M45's.

So, in a nutshell, I think that the M45 is more likely to encroach on BMW sales than on Lexus sales. The 5-series and the M45 are much more closely compatible as firm-riding Drivers' cars than the more refined GS. The 5-series, especially the ones with the smaller engines, are marvelous cars to actually DRIVE......you can practically steer them by feel alone while blindfolded . The 545 and 550, while more powerful in a straight line, aren't quite as nimble because of the larger engines and nose-heaviness, though they still retain good steering feel. But that, though, is where it will be hard to get some die-hard BMW-philes to switch.....you simply cannot beat the BMW Non-Active steering systems. They are the best. The M45's steering feel, despite its great handling and quick response, is like rubber in comparison.

As far as other competitors go, a case could be made for the Audi A6 if you want the benefits of AWD....Audi's Quattro system has been around a lot longer than any AWD tat Infiniti does and is virtually bulletproof........but Audi electronics can sometimes be a mess to keep working.

And the new Cadillac CTS, while not having a V8 to compete with the M45, is a great new product, with more-or-less comparable fit-finish to the M45. AWD is also available on the CTS. But the new CTS is a brand-new design, with no way of predicting potential reliability.....the reliability of the previous one, per Consumer Reports, varied from worse-than-average to average depending on the year. And the CTS's 304 HP D.I. (Direct Injection) V6 has almost the HP of the M45's larger V8, but there is a slightly wider spread in torque.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-05-07 at 12:31 PM.
Old 12-05-07, 12:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
Thanks for the great review! Yes Infiniti's got it just about right with the M45 and it shows in the sales numbers. BTW the GS also gets only a donut spare in the trunk if I remember correctly.
There's a difference between a "donut" spare, which is a smaller-than full-size tire, and a "dummy" temporary full-size spare that the M45 gets. The full-size tire is the same size/diameter as the stock tires, but is just made of different materials and rubber compounds and is not intended for extended or high-speed use.

That is why you can briefly use a full-size "temporary" spare like the M45's on an AWD system without disconnecting the AWD and running it on two wheels. But, a smaller-than-standard "compact" or "donut" spare, as you phrase it, will not work in a case like that......it would tear up the center differential because of the big difference in wheel rotation speed with the other three tires.

In a case like that, you have to disconnect the AWD, put the small donut on the free-wheeling axle, and make sure that you have two regular tires on the two remaining drive wheels....even if it means moving one from the other axle (Subaru supplies a fuse-puller to disconnect the AWD if you need to do that).

Yes, when you have a flat, that can be a pain in the a**. But that is one of the trade-offs you have to make with car-based AWD, with its center differential, if you have a smaller-than standard "donut" spare...........the extra sure-footedness and traction don't come without a price.

By beef with the M45, and with Infiniti's packaging here, is that, IMO, neither a small "dummy" spare nor a larger full-sized but still "temporary" spare or a cheap stamped wheel is fit for a car in this category and price range. It should have a REAL spare tire on a REAL alloy wheel......my 2001 IS300 had both for less than half the M45's price.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-05-07 at 12:11 PM.
Old 12-05-07, 12:30 PM
LexFather

Wow, great review, especially since I haven't seen anyone test this car yet. I have to say paying $63,000 for it is absurd. The base price is very good though. Overall, great car!

Old 12-05-07, 12:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Wow, great review, especially since I haven't seen anyone test this car yet. I have to say paying $63,000 for it is absurd. The base price is very good though. Overall, great car!
Thanks, SICK.

You and I might have been the first two to say that 63K for this car is more than it's worth (it's possible to even pay more for it with a few options my car didn't have), but I've got a feeling we won't be the last.
Old 12-05-07, 12:38 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

For $63k, I would definitely have to pass. The GS is more appealing. Maybe if the M45 had the 'rumored' 5.0L....
Old 12-05-07, 12:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GSteg
For $63k, I would definitely have to pass. The GS is more appealing. Maybe if the M45 had the 'rumored' 5.0L....
M45's start at much less that that (see the review's attached Infiniti web site), but, like I said in the review, to do so, you will give up some of the car's best features.

Drive the RWD Sport model, and I don't think you will find the 4.5L's performance wanting. Like I said in the review, it is comparable to some of the best 60's muscle-cars I grew up with.....and will beat some of them, like the 351 ci (5.7L) Mustang Mach 1, hands-down.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-05-07 at 12:46 PM.
Old 12-05-07, 12:46 PM
DrUnBiased
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the review!

I wonder what sales of the M45 are like compared to the other V8 models in its class. Infiniti doesn't separate the sales so it's hard to know but for some reason I see more M45's in my area than I do the V8 model of any other car in its class. Maybe it's just an OC thing but M45's seem like they are everywhere here. Usually the V8 model is the worst selling so it's a bit surprising for me to see them so much more often vs. the competition (and in comparable numbers to the M35).
Old 12-05-07, 12:49 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thx for the review, I've been seeing the 'first rear-active steer' commercial lately. Is the dash controller better placed than the COMAND/MMI/iDrive units? If they ditched the 5-speed perhaps they wouldn't be a gas guzzler. Loved reading your analysis...
Old 12-05-07, 12:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DrUnBiased
Thanks for the review!

I wonder what sales of the M45 are like compared to the other V8 models in its class. Infiniti doesn't separate the sales so it's hard to know but for some reason I see more M45's in my area than I do the V8 model of any other car in its class.
That, of course, we can leave to our CL auto-sales experts.....Robarapta, 1SICKLEX, and flipside 909. They will undoubedly post the sales figures as soon as they are available....and they do a great job.

Given the steep price of V8 M45's, it would follow that the V6 M35 (or the M37 when it gets the new Nissan/Infiniti V6) would handily outsell it. However, like you, I live in an area where a lot of people have big bank accounts, and expensive, foreign-nameplate cars with V8's are quite common here also. But even here, the less-expensive G-series is quite popular, though sales don't approach that of the BMW 3-series, the king of the sports sedans in sales. The 3-series has become a true modern cult car if there is one.

V8 M45's against other V8's.....your question? I don't have any firm figures, but I'd bet the V8 BMW 5-series outsells it, in spite of them being roughly the same price.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-05-07 at 12:58 PM.
Old 12-05-07, 01:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by encore888
Thx for the review, I've been seeing the 'first rear-active steer' commercial lately. Is the dash controller better placed than the COMAND/MMI/iDrive units? If they ditched the 5-speed perhaps they wouldn't be a gas guzzler. Loved reading your analysis...
Thanks.

In complexity, the M45's dash controller is, IMO, somewhat better and less complex than the BMW I-Drive and Audi MMI systems (some features are also voice-activated). It still is more complex and difficult than I'd prefer (I'm old-school and have never liked any of these dash-controller systems and video displays). I like traditional buttons, switches, slide levers, and *****. But the M45's controller unit, with its rotating ring, main ****, and smaller function buttons, is solid, made of quality materials, and placed in the middle of the dash where it is out of the way of things you might have on the center console next to you that could interfere with the use of a console-placed **** like the I-Drive. And the I-Drive **** feels cheesy compared to the way the M45's control **** assembly is crafted.

I don't know all the details of exactly how the "Active Rear Steer" works, but I believe that it is suspension-based rather than drivetrain or steering-based. It works by changing the relative camber and toe settings of the rear wheels as the car experiences side G-forces and leans into cornering, and allows the rear wheels to complement the front ones rather than fighting them . The actual concept is not new....a number of cars have used it before. And some vehicles....older Mazdas and Hondas, and some newer GM trucks, have used the so-called "Quadrasteer" system, which is not suspension-based like the M45's, but an electronically or mechanically-based system that actually steers the rear wheels with a rear steering mechanical gear. The mechanical Quadrasteer system, though, particularly combined with AWD, it is a nightmare to service and repair, which is why more automakers have not adopted it.

A far as "ditching the 5-speed" goes (I assume you are referring to adding sixth or seventh overdrive gears)........hard to say if that will affect the mileage or not. First, EPA has changed the way they do the testing, rate gas consumption, and posting the figures from the way they have done it for years. Second, simply adding more and more overdrive gears does not neccesarily improve mileage......a number of factors are involved. Yes, all else equal, you obviously get lower RPM's, but if the RPM's drop to the point where the engine is lugging instead of pulling strongly, the engine may actually use MORE gas instead of less, especially under load, and more gas will be wasted as the torque converter's lock-up device keeps coupling and uncoupling with engine RPM and acceleration/deceleration loads.

With automatically-shifting manual transmissions like the VW/Audi DSG and BMW's SMT, the problem is simpler because you don't have the torque converter fluid and its inherent slippage and inefficiency.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-05-07 at 01:30 PM.
Old 12-05-07, 06:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Has anyone on CL actually bought or leased an M45......especially a 2008? Let's hear some of your thoughts.
Old 12-05-07, 06:39 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys keep saying it is over priced. Compared to what? What other V8 AWD luxury sedan costs less? The fact is (and correct me if I'm wrong) this car is a value leader for what it offers. Unless I'm missing something?

Please note, neither Lexus nor BMW offers something that compares with this car in its class.

Quick Reply: Merry Christmas, CL....Special Holiday Review: 2008 Infiniti M45