Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

My Rant on German Cars - Anyone Else Agree?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-08, 08:38 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Over all they are rated pretty well, but I still rather have it as high up on the dash as possible myself. The higher the better. My ultimate is when teh Nav screen is at the very top of the dash, and the AC vents are below it or on the side of it. Then the radio or AC controls below that.
I think the Lexus Nav is rated high for easy of programming - not necessarily line of sight....

If you get the Heads Up Display (HUD) option in the 5/6-series your Nav commands are displayed on the HUD - they say it is one of the main reasons to get HUD (and yet I skipped it because it would have made my car cross a magically price barrier that I could not live with - Silly I tell you).
Old 01-11-08, 04:05 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_999
I think the Lexus Nav is rated high for easy of programming - not necessarily line of sight....

If you get the Heads Up Display (HUD) option in the 5/6-series your Nav commands are displayed on the HUD - they say it is one of the main reasons to get HUD (and yet I skipped it because it would have made my car cross a magically price barrier that I could not live with - Silly I tell you).

Can't afford to be ballin in a 5/6 yet Anyway, while the nave in my 02 330i is pretty primitive, the one thing I do like about it is the basic information like distance to the next turn as you are approaching that turn is displayed on the information screen in the instrument cluster. It is nothing dramatic, but you don't have to look at the nav screen. You hear the voice telling you which way to turn, and if need be you see the distance counting down on the information screen. Other than that though I want to chuck it out the window half the time. Every time it rains or overcast I get no signal lock. Even my PDA can lock better. No matter, and Alpine nav will replace it
Old 01-11-08, 04:20 PM
splitfire
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Think of how bad it would be in a Lexus where you have to look down at the nav
It is easier for me to use the one in LS and S cause the screen is bigger and both can just jump in and use it.. the 750's screen is too small and it does take a little bit of time to get use to it....AMerican version has bigger screen right? this is what the Japanese version looks like....

Old 01-11-08, 06:00 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by splitfire
It is easier for me to use the one in LS and S cause the screen is bigger and both can just jump in and use it.. the 750's screen is too small and it does take a little bit of time to get use to it....AMerican version has bigger screen right? this is what the Japanese version looks like....
That looks like the non-Nav screen size here (ours is a split screen as well).

If you press down on the controller you should be able to dial down and get a better view. Here you can take the right side of the screen and have it show you the next turn. I can understand your frustration with this one.
Old 01-22-08, 02:18 PM
KKelly
Lead Lap

1Sicklex wrote:

Now in America, Lexus has outsold EVERYONE for the past 8 years now. So in America, Lexus IS the Luxury brand of choice. Lexus is also the #1 selling luxury brand in Russia and recently beat Benz to be #1 in China.
Really?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=321850

Doesn't appear so but I will say using sales to make arguments always rubs me the wrong way. I mean Britney Spears is not better than Radiohead no matter how many albums she sells.
Old 01-22-08, 02:40 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by KKelly
1Sicklex wrote:

Really?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=321850

Doesn't appear so but I will say using sales to make arguments always rubs me the wrong way. I mean Britney Spears is not better than Radiohead no matter how many albums she sells.
Am I missing something? Lexus just won the sales crown in America again for the year 2007.
Sales are not the end of all things but they are extemely important. Clearly BMW knows this, making cars for any segment and inventing segments. They sell over 1 million cars a year worldwide.

Old 01-22-08, 03:27 PM
KKelly
Lead Lap

Depends on what you include in the numbers, if all BMW brands are included, including the Mini, as of November '07 it was 294k to 302. If you use only BMW branded vs. Lexus branded vehicles, Lexus is the winner at 294k to 264k BUT if you ignore the SUV's which are not cars, it is BMW 207k to 180k.
Old 01-22-08, 07:55 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Depends on what you include in the numbers, if all BMW brands are included, including the Mini, as of November '07 it was 294k to 302. If you use only BMW branded vs. Lexus branded vehicles, Lexus is the winner at 294k to 264k BUT if you ignore the SUV's which are not cars, it is BMW 207k to 180k.

The comparison is the Lexus line vs. the BMW line. Mini is a different division all together. Also, BMW builds two SUV's so it's totally fear to compare total model sales and not just car sales.

In the end, Lexus sells the most consistantly in the US.
Old 01-22-08, 08:01 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Comparing car sales to music sales isn't exactly a good analogy. With music, kid's will always be rushing to buy crap jacking up the sales of Britney, ect.

Look at the Billboard charts and most of the top selling stuff is garbage.

Car sales are the result of much consumer research and fulfillment of desires and the 2nd largest purchase someone makes. So car sales comparisons do carry some legitimate weight.
Old 01-23-08, 05:33 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JLSC4
In the end, Lexus sells the most consistantly in the US.
Actually I think BMW's sales are more consistent than Lexus in the US....
Old 01-23-08, 11:40 AM
Arvin
Rookie

During my 10 years of driving life, I have own / owned one or more cars from BMW, Cadillac, Honda, Lexus, Lincoln, Mercedes, Nissan, Porsche, and Toyota. Other than the BMW and Mercedes cars, every other cars are almost maintenance free. I have one minor issue each from Lincoln, Cadillac, and Porsche that each fixed under warranty. The japanese cars from Honda, Lexus, Nissan, and Toyota never have any issues. Lexus service even replace the hydraulic of my SC430 free of charge after the warranty expired for almost a year. But I do spend more money to service Lexus cars (est $180 to $400+ every 5k miles) than every other cars. Although overall the german cars are indeed have more character and more fun to drive.
Old 01-23-08, 01:21 PM
LexFather

Let the insanity stop. Lexus is the sales champ for the past 8 years in the USA. Why is anyone even refuting that fact? Chop it up all you want, that is the fact.

For 2008, it is possible BMW may beat Lexus in the USA.

Old 02-03-08, 09:20 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Let the insanity stop. Lexus is the sales champ for the past 8 years in the USA. Why is anyone even refuting that fact? Chop it up all you want, that is the fact.

For 2008, it is possible BMW may beat Lexus in the USA.
Who's disputing the fact? Just talking about consistency here Mike
Old 02-03-08, 02:03 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Who's disputing the fact? Just talking about consistency here Mike
Then how are you defining "consistancy" if you admit that Lexus consistantly is the best selling luxury brand in the US year after year?
Old 02-03-08, 08:17 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JLSC4
Then how are you defining "consistancy" if you admit that Lexus consistantly is the best selling luxury brand in the US year after year?
you said most consistent - that means the mfg that has the most consistent sales - that could be consistently up, consistently down, or consistently flat. Personally I don't think Lexus is the most consistent....