Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

My Rant on German Cars - Anyone Else Agree?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-07, 09:28 AM
proximal
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JLSC4
I know a lot of people praise BMW's steering feel and that's fine. I personally disagree. Right now, we have a 3,5, and 7 series (all '06's-'07's) on the lot that I've driven. The 3 was the biggest surprise to me because it's steering delivered a delayed response (you have to turn the wheel like 30 degrees before it starts turning the car). The 5 series is just very tight and too much energy is put into steering that I wouldn't want to drive for long. However, the 7 delivers a more comfortable feel which I don't have any complaints about.

These steering characteristics are perhaps better at high speeds but most steering is done at low speeds. I want a car that is comfortable to steer in the city where I'm steering constantly. On the highway, I'm pretty much driving straight.
Are you sure the cars you are driving don't have the active steering option? That might take getting used to, but it's optional and should be avoided anyway.

As for all the other things you've complained about, my M3 (granted, it's 10 years old) fares better than my IS350. All of the controls and buttons are more logically placed. The steering and throttle are not as "jumpy" so it's easier to drive smoothly. I guess newer German cars are a bit more difficult.
Old 12-09-07, 09:55 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
110% disagreement with everything said.

Just because the japenese cars interiors are idiot proof doesn't make them better. Japan has yet to produce anything that drives overall as well as a german.
b, blanket statement.. there are not many but the NSX comes to mind. the First gen IS was praised for being more German in feel than the Germans.....
The G35 may lack luxury but has always been praised for its handling. Skyline, Supra...

I do think not ALL German cars handle better. Stock Benzes IMO are just as non-communicative as a Lexus, until you get to Sport or AMG cars. Audi also is not great in feel until you get to S/RS cars.

BMW even has taken some shots by editors for being bigger and more electronic gizmos and having less feedback to the driver..

People want sport 100%, there is a small company called Porsche and you actually have to head south to Maranello to the truest sport brand with 100% dedication to F1...

Ferrari....

Old 12-09-07, 11:01 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

We had a 95 C280. It may have been the entry level Benz but from what I remember, Benzes are really sweet riding cars. The first time I drove it I said out loud, this is butter baby. My wife whole heartedly agreed. She likes her 3GS but feels the Benz was the best car she ever had. Only the reliability issues caused me to pry it from her fingers. She went kicking and scratching. The next 3 years, my wife was a depressed drver...I replaced her beloved Benz with an ES300. She hated every day of that car.

IMO, Benzes have more personality, the ride feels like you're on a throne, the feel of the car is royal. I haven't driven any other car like it. I suspect the Bently is the same but not many other.

I agree that the interior quality is not the same as the old days but neither is any car. Lexus is up there but the feel of a Benz is just not able to be matched. I've sat in both the LS460 and S550, the Benz still has that magic. I drive Lexus mainly because of reliability. If equal in that area, I'd be in a Benz. Price is an issue, too....but only slightly.

Sorry guys, it's jusy my opinion.
Old 12-09-07, 11:17 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mavericck
That is so you don't bump the headlight stock when your driving and accidentally turn off your headlights in the middle of a turn. The German way makes a lot more sense when it comes to head light switches.
The light switch on on the left stalk on most Japenese/American/Korean cars
are turned on with a rotating switch. This cannot be accidentally "bumped" on or off. A bump would only turn the turn signal on which is the same in every car.
Old 12-09-07, 11:23 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

So guys, can someone tell me why these German cars barely roll when you let off of the brake?? Other cars will get up to around 15 mph without touching the gas which is great for slow stop and go traffic. I find it very weird when I jump in a German car and when I let off the gas it comes to a quick stop without hitting the brake at all. It feels like something is pushing me back.

This doesn't have anything to do with high performance driving.

Old 12-09-07, 11:33 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

That's engine braking doing its job. I wish my GS would do a better job of it. I have to put my tranny in 2nd gear to get any kind of downshifting. 3rd gear would have rolled off faster. And this is not even on a steep hill.
Old 12-09-07, 12:00 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GSteg
That's engine braking doing its job. I wish my GS would do a better job of it. I have to put my tranny in 2nd gear to get any kind of downshifting. 3rd gear would have rolled off faster. And this is not even on a steep hill.

You like this? It drives me nuts!! It feels like I have the E-brake engaged but I don't. A horrible feeling.

BTW, the Porsche Cayenne that I just drove is one of the worst vehicles I've ever experienced. It has heavy "engine braking" and is hard to keep it at a steady low speed. Oh, and when I got in, it took about 3-4 minutes to find the damn ignition!! Some idiot decided to put it on the left of the wheel and out of sight. Never would have expected it. I didn't think it had an ignition!
Old 12-09-07, 12:17 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ksxxsk
If you find i-drive difficult or non-intuitive, you probably find life the same too.

I sat in an M5 and was able to navigate everything easily. I don't know what all the fuss is about. The only change I would make is being able to move backwards through the menus by pulling up on the ****.
The best thing I've ever read about iDrive from a reviewer is, "It's not too bad." That's no ringing endorsement, whatsoever. Jeez--how about a touchscreen??
Old 12-09-07, 12:24 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

it took about 3-4 minutes to find the damn ignition!! Some idiot decided to put it on the left of the wheel and out of sight. Never would have expected it. I didn't think it had an ignition!
tell me about it. I could not figure out how to start the engine on an E92...felt like an idiot. It's like a whole ritual.
Old 12-09-07, 12:28 PM
proximal
Driver

Oh, and when I got in, it took about 3-4 minutes to find the damn ignition!! Some idiot decided to put it on the left of the wheel and out of sight. Never would have expected it. I didn't think it had an ignition!
Porsche ignitions are on the left because it allowed their LeMans racers to start the car as they were getting in. It dates back to the days of the running start, as in the driver running to the car to start of the race.
Old 12-09-07, 12:34 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

You like this? It drives me nuts!! It feels like I have the E-brake engaged but I don't. A horrible feeling.
Ya I actually like it. If I need constant throttle, I would put my foot down and apply as much throttle as I need. As least I get engine braking when I need it, unlike my GS where it keeps on going. Sometimes I feel it's useless to even downshift because it doesn't really slow down the car as much. The revs jumps higher, but that's about it.
Old 12-09-07, 12:37 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by proximal
Porsche ignitions are on the left because it allowed their LeMans racers to start the car as they were getting in. It dates back to the days of the running start, as in the driver running to the car to start of the race.
I think it slows you down even when you finally do know where it is.
It feels weird using my left hand to turn the ignition. And who would be turning the ignition while climbing into the car?
Old 12-09-07, 12:39 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GSteg
Ya I actually like it. If I need constant throttle, I would put my foot down and apply as much throttle as I need. As least I get engine braking when I need it, unlike my GS where it keeps on going. Sometimes I feel it's useless to even downshift because it doesn't really slow down the car as much. The revs jumps higher, but that's about it.
I still don't know why you need engine braking. Isn't that why there's a brake pedal?
Old 12-09-07, 12:45 PM
proximal
Driver

And who would be turning the ignition while climbing into the car?
As I explained above, racing used to begin with a running start: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D38Wf...eature=related. It's a minor detail, but it could let you set off more quickly than the competition.
Old 12-09-07, 01:04 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by proximal
ahh.. so that's how it all got started (no pun intended), thanks for the history lesson!

So.. what about the doors then? cause I figured you get in, key in the right hand into the ignition while the left hand closes the door.

Quick Reply: My Rant on German Cars - Anyone Else Agree?