Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

My Rant on German Cars - Anyone Else Agree?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-07, 08:07 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How is this thread still not locked?
Old 12-09-07, 08:12 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by picus
Why would it get locked?

It's been a fun debate and comparison between the qualities of German cars to others.

This is what car chat is all about.

Old 12-09-07, 09:15 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by picus
even by the 65th post its still pretty civil
Old 12-09-07, 09:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
I'm okay with the interior quality. It's not the best, but it's not the worse. Talk about vault-like doors though!
Older BMW's, yes.....excellent cars. The Chris Bangle-designed cars? IMO, not nearly in the same league.
Old 12-10-07, 06:41 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The thread name should be changed to "My bash on German cars." lol.. As the owner of both German and Japanese vehicles I will speak from experience.. I must say the build quality of the German vehicles is superior to that of their Japanese counterparts. Japanese vehicles have that mass produced & tacked together feeling, where as German cars feel as if they are milled from a solid piece of steel. Japanese interiors do look more pleasing to the eye, but that is as far as it goes.. Get deeper and one will notice right away the differences between the Japanese made cars and the Germans.. Proof of this would be the ease of one pulling apart interior panels in a Japanese car. It is quite easy to find the gaps to pull apart any panel in a Japanese car.. Snap in snap out.. Try the same in a German.. Very difficult to remove interior panels in the German vehicles due to minimal gappage, and many of the interior panels being screwed in place. Minimal squeaks and rattles in the Germans as a result. The doors, trunk, and hood on the Germans close like a Sherman tank. Heck, I was waving the Japanese cars are the greatest flag just like some of you since that was all I owned in the past, and what I could afford at the time. My assessment is from ownership experience and not a one day test drive.
Old 12-10-07, 07:03 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

the problem with a "tough to disassemble" interior or exterior for that matter is if something goes wrong its a pain for the person trying to service it and to put it back together properly resulting in a load of hours and repair bill.

japanese are more like shermans, easily produced, easy to service, reliable, germans are still making their cars like their WW2 tanks: easily the best in a tank on tank situation but complicated to manafacture with reliability problems (panther transmissions and drivetrains problems)
Old 12-10-07, 09:38 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
the problem with a "tough to disassemble" interior or exterior for that matter is if something goes wrong its a pain for the person trying to service it and to put it back together properly resulting in a load of hours and repair bill.
I would believe that a part that is screwed in place would be more secure and fool proof when it comes to proper fitment. Line up the screws and fasten, rather than banging a part into place and guessing if it is in right... Snap on parts are rather flimsy and cheap.. no ? Give me screwed in parts any day.

japanese are more like shermans, easily produced, easy to service, reliable, germans are still making their cars like their WW2 tanks: easily the best in a tank on tank situation but complicated to manafacture with reliability problems (panther transmissions and drivetrains problems)
How are those ES's, Camry's trannys, IS350, GS350/430 dash rattles etc etc. Sherman tanks you say ? Not turnng this into a bash fest but lets be accurate here.
Old 12-10-07, 09:57 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen

Don't take this personally but I can't believe anyone would advocate for or prefer snap on cheaply make versus screwed in solid anything. Snap on crap is what's wrong with cars now. Techs have no patience. They just want to snap something in place and move on.....while still charging a hefty fee.
Old 12-10-07, 10:03 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Very difficult to remove interior panels in the German vehicles due to minimal gappage, and many of the interior panels being screwed in place. Minimal squeaks and rattles in the Germans as a result. The doors, trunk, and hood on the Germans close like a Sherman tank. Heck, I was waving the Japanese cars are the greatest flag just like some of you since that was all I owned in the past, and what I could afford at the time. My assessment is from ownership experience and not a one day test drive.
Are you kidding? I had more rattle and interior problems on my C43 (and my roommate on his 328i - his 335i is holding up for now, though) than I've ever had on any Lexus I've owned. The '97 LS400 was the only one I ever had any types of rattle problems with, and it was very easy for the dealer to fix. The C43 pretty much rattled apart. :/ I really liked that car, it was just a nightmare from the reliability standpoint and I felt necessary to get rid of it.

As I stated, my beliefs are from experience owning the vehicles as well, and I've come to the exact opposite conclusion. The build quality from German vehicles just isn't there.
Old 12-10-07, 10:09 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by reggiek
Don't take this personally but I can't believe anyone would advocate for or prefer snap on cheaply make versus screwed in solid anything. Snap on crap is what's wrong with cars now. Techs have no patience. They just want to snap something in place and move on.....while still charging a hefty fee.
i didnt advocate anything, im just pointing out a clear difference and stating the reason why one company does something one way. There is a reason why the AK47 with its terrible tolerances is the #1 widely used and most reliable AR, not because its all intricately engineered with super tight tolerances that has its flaws as well. Same debate goes along the Luger vs 1911 Colt 45. Cars and guns are no different really
Old 12-10-07, 12:12 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Anyone who has been around CL for more than about a month has seen plenty of these threads. And yes, most do end up getting locked. Scanning the posts a couple of words stand out like "rant" and "arrogance". And there is plenty on all sides of this discussion. Bimmer and Merc and probably Audi owners have an irrational air of superiority and in this instance, Lexus owners can often have an irrational air of inferiority. Pretty much because if you place value on something by the pricetag, then the German brands will almost across the board have higher values than the Japanese car. And that is one of the dumbest analyses you will ever read. But there are those who actually think that way in their tiny minds.

The reason there is a marketplace is so the consumer can decide for himself what he wants to spend his bucks on. There are plenty of people that want the German hardware and plenty of people that want the Japanese hardware. Should either one declare defeat and liquidate? Of course not. A great deal of what we are dealing with here is perception and everyone will have their own perceptions of different autos. Bimmers have reputations for producing unreliable but driver involving autos. Maybe with too much electronics but obviously their buyers are willing to pay for that. Lexus have reputations for producing reliable but driver boring vehicles at a lower price point. Neither view is a roaring plus or negative. And neither view is totally accurate.

This thread was started by someone who says he has access to a number of 06 and 07 BMWs on a Honda used car lot. That is some Honda used car lot. But many of us have driven or owned bimmers and mercs and what not and I doubt that any of us would describe a three series steering as numb or with large amounts of slop around center. Could it be that this is the reason that that particular 3 series was on a Honda used car lot? Who knows? But leaving MB out of the mix for a while, bimmer has been improving reliability and various models of the 3, 5, and 7 now have CR recommeded buy ratings. By the same token, the new LS and GS have some issues - just cruise the LS board and read about wind noise, grabby brakes, and other issues that owners are pointing out. But let's be honest, if there is a reason that bimmer is improving reliability, it is because of Lexus. And if there are more driver oriented cars coming out of Lexus, it is because of bimmer. Will either one get all high end car sales? I sure hope not. Does either one produce perfect cars? Not by a long shot.

So in the final analysis a japanese car is different from a german car, there's a shock. If you like the Lexus and believe it provides the value that you want, buy the Lexus. The same applies to a bimmer. There are a whole lot of people who just can't stand the fact that someone they know not only doesn't lead sideline cheers for their automotive buying decision but actively questions your cognitive powers for making the decision you did. Someone goes for a ride in a bimmer and finds it hard riding and the steering numb (?) and they go get a Lexus because it is perfect for them. Great. And someone feels a Lexus is boring and buys a bimmer because it is perfect for them. Great. Car purchases provide a selection of intangibles to be evaluated including cost, reliability, resale value, comfort, insurance costs, space, ride/handling, operating costs, etc. and there isn't a perfect car. Some people want to consistently buy the same brand car and some look for something different when it comes time to change. No need to rant for or against either position.
Old 12-10-07, 12:25 PM
E-Z ES300
Lead Lap

Heres my input, i gotta give my appreciation to Lexus.. AMAZING cars, absolutely, but for me... to soft and bouncy? i mean i'm into the whole "cant turn the wheel with only a finger," driving experience. I have driven everythign from Civic's to Mercedes to BMW's to Lexus... The cars in my family are so mixed up its pretty cool. I do have to say i prefer my Sport suspensioned coupe "sporty" BMW though...

Mom drives an RX300
Dad drives a S500
lil sister drives my old ES300
older sister drives a Civic
i obviously drive a BMW

VV
Old 12-10-07, 01:37 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

How are those ES's, Camry's trannys, IS350, GS350/430 dash rattles etc etc. Sherman tanks you say ? Not turnng this into a bash fest but lets be accurate here.
Every new car has their fair shares of problems.

My IS350 had to go back to dealer twice to fix the dash rattles problem, and it is problem free ever since. Lexus customer service is excellent. They took seriously to ever complaints that I made.

2007 X5 4.8i literally fall apart after a week we took delivery. Wheel fender fall off on the freeway, rough shifting point, AC fan noises, engine stalls, Comfort access acting weird sometimes, and what worst is that BMW pretty much tell us to deal with that, and ignore most of the complaints. I am pretty sure there are nice BMW dealership out there but not the one we usually deal with. (not to mention, ford focus for the loner car for 80k BMW)

When it comes to driving dynamic, BMW owns Lexus, hands down. The 6000+lbs has no body roll or whatsoever compare to the IS350. I love the X5 when it works. But when it comes to build quality, I am not so sure.
Old 12-10-07, 04:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

As the owner of both German and Japanese vehicles I will speak from experience.. I must say the build quality of the German vehicles is superior to that of their Japanese counterparts. Japanese vehicles have that mass produced & tacked together feeling, where as German cars feel as if they are milled from a solid piece of steel.
That used to be the case more than it is now. BMW doors, sheet metal, etc......were like tanks until the Chris Bangle models came along several years ago. The drop in sheet metal and hardware quality was especially noticeable from the last-generation 5-series to the present one.

Mercedes, though, in some ways, has dropped the most. They still do very well in crash tests, and still have a reputation for safety, but compare the sheet metal and doors of the 80's and early 90's vintage models to today, and it is like night and day.

VW, though, seems to be improving. I have been pleased with the body/sheet metal quality of most of the new VW's I've seen (check out my recent review of the R32). Now, if only the VW electronics would hold up........
Old 12-10-07, 07:36 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RON430
Anyone who has been around CL for more than about a month has seen plenty of these threads. And yes, most do end up getting locked. Scanning the posts a couple of words stand out like "rant" and "arrogance". And there is plenty on all sides of this discussion. Bimmer and Merc and probably Audi owners have an irrational air of superiority and in this instance, Lexus owners can often have an irrational air of inferiority. Pretty much because if you place value on something by the pricetag, then the German brands will almost across the board have higher values than the Japanese car. And that is one of the dumbest analyses you will ever read. But there are those who actually think that way in their tiny minds.

The reason there is a marketplace is so the consumer can decide for himself what he wants to spend his bucks on. There are plenty of people that want the German hardware and plenty of people that want the Japanese hardware. Should either one declare defeat and liquidate? Of course not. A great deal of what we are dealing with here is perception and everyone will have their own perceptions of different autos. Bimmers have reputations for producing unreliable but driver involving autos. Maybe with too much electronics but obviously their buyers are willing to pay for that. Lexus have reputations for producing reliable but driver boring vehicles at a lower price point. Neither view is a roaring plus or negative. And neither view is totally accurate.

This thread was started by someone who says he has access to a number of 06 and 07 BMWs on a Honda used car lot. That is some Honda used car lot. But many of us have driven or owned bimmers and mercs and what not and I doubt that any of us would describe a three series steering as numb or with large amounts of slop around center. Could it be that this is the reason that that particular 3 series was on a Honda used car lot? Who knows? But leaving MB out of the mix for a while, bimmer has been improving reliability and various models of the 3, 5, and 7 now have CR recommeded buy ratings. By the same token, the new LS and GS have some issues - just cruise the LS board and read about wind noise, grabby brakes, and other issues that owners are pointing out. But let's be honest, if there is a reason that bimmer is improving reliability, it is because of Lexus. And if there are more driver oriented cars coming out of Lexus, it is because of bimmer. Will either one get all high end car sales? I sure hope not. Does either one produce perfect cars? Not by a long shot.

So in the final analysis a japanese car is different from a german car, there's a shock. If you like the Lexus and believe it provides the value that you want, buy the Lexus. The same applies to a bimmer. There are a whole lot of people who just can't stand the fact that someone they know not only doesn't lead sideline cheers for their automotive buying decision but actively questions your cognitive powers for making the decision you did. Someone goes for a ride in a bimmer and finds it hard riding and the steering numb (?) and they go get a Lexus because it is perfect for them. Great. And someone feels a Lexus is boring and buys a bimmer because it is perfect for them. Great. Car purchases provide a selection of intangibles to be evaluated including cost, reliability, resale value, comfort, insurance costs, space, ride/handling, operating costs, etc. and there isn't a perfect car. Some people want to consistently buy the same brand car and some look for something different when it comes time to change. No need to rant for or against either position.

Some very good points.

A couple of things though. Your the 2nd person to say I work at a Honda dealer. You actually say "Honda used car lot". I work at a an Acura Dealer and they only sell premium used cars (aside from new acuras of course). I never said anything about a Honda dealer.

And yes, there have been somewhat similar threads but the idea of this one was specifically to compare German car's ergonomics and feel to other country's makes. Other threads have focused more on styling, reliability, or high performance, ect.

And to everyone, sorry for the thread title. Using the word rant was a mistake. I wanted this to be a civil discussion comparing likes and dislikes.
No bashing was ever intended. Like I said, I don't hate German cars, there
are just many things about them that I personally find less satisfying than Japenese vehicles. Just a matter of taste and preference.

Quick Reply: My Rant on German Cars - Anyone Else Agree?