Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

My Rant on German Cars - Anyone Else Agree?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-07 | 08:19 PM
habitat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JLSC4
I'm simply pointing out what I think is the overall best package. For me, Toyota/Lexus and Honda/Acura seem to have the total package down.
How can you knock BMW? It is one of the last few automotive producers that still offers RWD on all of its vehicles (you can't count the mini cooper). Not to mention the readily available manual gearbox.
Some people like to drive a sporty car that twitches and roars, and others like to drive sofas. I consider myself part of the former group and love bimmers!
Old 12-11-07 | 03:35 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by habitat
How can you knock BMW? It is one of the last few automotive producers that still offers RWD on all of its vehicles (you can't count the mini cooper). Not to mention the readily available manual gearbox.
Some people like to drive a sporty car that twitches and roars, and others like to drive sofas. I consider myself part of the former group and love bimmers!
Not everyone has to like the way a BMW feels. You happen to, and that's great.

I just prefer a mix of sportiness and comfort that a Japenese car offers me.

I want a car that is great for EVERYDAY driving. That's why I have a car.
I don't know many people who spend a bunch of time at race tracks with there daily drivers. I also don't see any BMW drivers really taking advantage on the road either probably because it's ILLEGAL to do so.
Old 12-11-07 | 04:14 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Smile

Like I said, I don't hate German cars, there
are just many things about them that I personally find less satisfying than Japenese vehicles. Just a matter of taste and preference.

And, there's nothing wrong with that.
Old 12-11-07 | 04:44 AM
krazykanuk
Pole Position

I also don't see any BMW drivers really taking advantage on the road either probably because it's ILLEGAL to do so.
You don't need to be speeding or breaking the law to enjoy the car. The handling is still the same good feeling if you're going 40 or 100. My roommate has an E90 so I've really got to spend time around them this semester.
Old 12-11-07 | 05:10 AM
Raoul
Intermediate

I have one of each.
What bugs me about the Europeans is they don't have the common decency to speak English.
It's like they have a different word for everything.
Old 12-11-07 | 08:01 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

I don't know many people who spend a bunch of time at race tracks with there daily drivers. I also don't see any BMW drivers really taking advantage on the road either probably because it's ILLEGAL to do so.
You need to check out youtube nation my friend Tons of vids of BMW's in action on the streets against other vehicles including motorcycles http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?vid=276786 Not too many Japanese luxury cars on video doing the same.. Crazy Bimmer drivers.. Be safe out there.

Last edited by DASHOCKER; 12-11-07 at 08:05 AM.
Old 12-11-07 | 11:20 AM
AzNMpower
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Raoul
I have one of each.
What bugs me about the Europeans is they don't have the common decency to speak English.
It's like they have a different word for everything.
The whole world knows of our American ethnocentrism.

I think I just expect too much out of cars now that I'm used to BMWs. I complain about headlamp switches being too hard to find, throttle control not being precise enough, the chassis not being able to cope with hard cornering, etc... stuff like that. If I suddenly need to brake or floor a vehicle mid-corner at 60mph, I expect it to be fluid and forgiving. To be honest, there's never a real need to corner that fast........but I kinda like it once in a while.

Last edited by AzNMpower; 12-11-07 at 11:24 AM.
Old 12-11-07 | 11:44 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Some very good points.

A couple of things though. Your the 2nd person to say I work at a Honda dealer. You actually say "Honda used car lot". I work at a an Acura Dealer and they only sell premium used cars (aside from new acuras of course). I never said anything about a Honda dealer.

And yes, there have been somewhat similar threads but the idea of this one was specifically to compare German car's ergonomics and feel to other country's makes. Other threads have focused more on styling, reliability, or high performance, ect.

And to everyone, sorry for the thread title. Using the word rant was a mistake. I wanted this to be a civil discussion comparing likes and dislikes.
No bashing was ever intended. Like I said, I don't hate German cars, there
are just many things about them that I personally find less satisfying than Japenese vehicles. Just a matter of taste and preference.

Absolutely sorry for saying it was a Honda dealership. Not sure where I got that from, maybe it was a senior moment.

I don't think you have to back away from your comments in any way. Everyone knows that you posted your opinion and that it is your perception, which may not be anyone else's so feel free to rant away.

I ran away from BMWs screaming about maintenance costs and the amount of time they spent in the dealership. Many of my complaints were combined with the failures and the routine maintenance. In all honesty, Lexus has copied the Germans pretty well with an annoying and costly maintenance schedule that often is for nothing more than "inspections". When BMW went to paying for maintenance, which Lexus of course does not other than for the first minor maintenance, they backed off on the maintenance schedule. Personally I don't find the requirement to take a Lexus in for service more luxurious than I ever had to do with a Toyota. But I digress.

I have been very hard on bimmers myself but I will also acknowledge what is right about them. For instance, if I got into a reasonably new 3 series and found that:

"The 3 was the biggest surprise to me because it's steering delivered a delayed response (you have to turn the wheel like 30 degrees before it starts turning the car). "

I would think I was in a 3 series with a problem and not that any other 3 series had 30 degrees of slop in the steering. Because you are in the business I am sure you realize that very often one or two year old cars end up being sold because of some problem or big accident and I would write that 3 series off to a particular car with a problem. 06 and 07 bimmers on a used car lot are probably not off lease so you would have to treat them with a bit of caution. That doesn't just apply to bimmers by the way. A one year old Acura that was on a used lot would raise some flags in my mind as to why someone took such a big financial hit getting rid of it in one year. Even without getting into the bimmer cheerleaders, there is a whole lot of information about how sweet the steering is on the 3 and has been for years. Rather than base a rant on bimmers, I would have written it off until I had a chance to drive an unsold new one or at least several others that I was sure had not problems.

As for interiors, I am of mixed opinions. I never noticed bimmer seats being so dang hard but I do notice it in some models now. As for the interiors being plain, that is another perception. I have found that I prefer function over form and the bimmers stood out in my mind that I saw at the SF auto show a few weeks ago. The materials were of high quality and most models had a reasonably clean, functional look. The LS was also impressive but with a different look. I just don't like either the layout or the materials on the current GS, seems to be a step backward from my second gen GS. I try not to confuse a different look with a worse layout. The bimmer was different but well done for its design. The 7 had some needlessly complicated electronics that I assume appeal to those a lot younger than I but that's another story. Mercedes stood out in my mind as being very poorly done in both design and execution. But of all the European cars, bimmer has the most distinctive interior. If you like the layout fine. If you don't fine. But it is very different. With many other models, if you cover up the various logo's most people could not tell what brand car they were sitting in. Most people will always know a bimmer without being told.

So, in the final analysis, brand perception and loyalty are largely based on perception. If you like the japanese brands, and if you are looking for a large luxury sedan there is only one, they by all means by Japanese. If you like the Germans, buy from them. And even going back and forth isn't prohibited .
Old 12-11-07 | 12:03 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AzNMpower
The whole world knows of our American ethnocentrism.

I think I just expect too much out of cars now that I'm used to BMWs. I complain about headlamp switches being too hard to find, throttle control not being precise enough, the chassis not being able to cope with hard cornering, etc... stuff like that. If I suddenly need to brake or floor a vehicle mid-corner at 60mph, I expect it to be fluid and forgiving. To be honest, there's never a real need to corner that fast........but I kinda like it once in a while.
Come on Azn. You know these cars drive like crap Are some here writing books or what ? All these long winded posts..
Old 12-11-07 | 12:32 PM
AzNMpower
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Come on Azn. You know these cars drive like crap Are some here writing books or what ? All these long winded posts..
Well, cars have gotten very good thesedays. I thought cars like the Acura TSX get it almost right. Me and my friend drove each others' cars (325i sport and TSX) just for the feel of it, since neither of us had driven the other's model before. I was impressed with the TSX's suspension and overall feel. The gauges are a bit hard to read, the steering a bit slow on-centre, and the brakes were woefully disappointing. You don't realize how important brakes are on a car until you jump into a car that doesn't really have them and go "WOAH where are the brakes??" when you brake for a corner.

He, on the other hand, was very impressed with the 325i. I required DSC on for the fear he'd get over his head, but he started cornering off too early and too far into the apex of a corner (used to understeer I suppose). I basically told him when he could get off the brakes ("ok, that's enough braking") so he would experience the higher handling capability. His only gripe was the electronic turn signal.

Plus, I have quibbles with BMW too. For instance, the dash on the non-iDrive 3-series is sooooooooooooo boring. The styling of the E90 is also so boring. The engine note is too muted. But there aren't any dynamic faults on the 3. Plus, the fuel consumption is pretty low too.

Last edited by AzNMpower; 12-11-07 at 12:37 PM.
Old 12-11-07 | 01:03 PM
insider
Pole Position

So I've now been working at an Acura Dealer for about 4 months now as a temporary job. The benefit of this is that I can test drive and really get to know tons of different cars - we see all makes and models.

I'll first say that Japenese cars IMO are easily superior to all others in almost ever category. American cars actually come in 2nd. Then German and any others.

For those of you who have driven BMW's, VW's (& Audi's), Benz's, Porsche's ect. you may agree. Germans seem to purposely go against everything that is standard about ergonomics and arguably driving feel. Radio, climate, and other controls are all hard to use until I guess you are forced to get used to them.
I've seen some without an AM/FM button! How annoying. Buttons and levers are placed in areas that are awkward to use.

Then there's driving feel. How do they rate high for many?? I HATE how they drive. You know how other cars roll nicely without giving gas? In a German car, it just sits there and then is often jumpy to go really slow.
The steering is also too stiff and has a dead feel to me. Give me the feel of a Toyota or Honda any day!!

Japenese cars have everything in the right place and they have the most comfortable and pleasant driving feel.

Well, I gotta go out. Maybe more later.
Hmmm, German vs Japanese http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=120903 Guess who came in first again? Perhaps its just you
Old 12-11-07 | 03:41 PM
rsantiago
Pole Position

One thing about Japanese cars based on my experience is when you press on the brake pedals it feels soft and spongy. In contrast to the German cars I've driven (E-Class, 3 Series) the brake pedal is much firmer and you can stop with confidence.

Though, I'll give the Japanese thumbs up in interior execution, hands down it beats the Germans.

In the end, both Japanese and German cars have both their merits and weaknesses.

Last edited by rsantiago; 12-11-07 at 03:44 PM.
Old 12-11-07 | 04:11 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

misc comments/corrections/etc....

First off Ron, nice comments - Thank GOD you didn't post them at the beginning of the thread or we would have had nothing to razz each other about - quit talking sense

Now...
Originally Posted by tex2670
I'd say one of the problems Germans face is arrogance. For pure driving experience and feel, I'd say Germans are number one. But, it's clear they lag in reliability, and this has been a down hill coast over the past 10 -15 years. It seems that Germans begrudgingly add features (from cupholders to keyless start) because they have to, and don't really believe they should. How many years did Germans have those stupid pop out cupholders? (some still do). Now, it's the ridiculous iDrive, BMW's bizarre auto transmission gear shift where you have to push forward to put it in gear, and keyless entry systems where you still have to plug the key into the dash to start the car. The Japanese just know, ergonomically, what features buyers will respond to, and Germans are always playing catchup (or not).
Not exactly...
BMWs tend to have more technology in them sooner than the Japanese brands. They often do things differently - they often think/feel that they have found a new way and their new way is better. We are creatures of habit and hate change and thus many people here don't like the way BMW does something or don't understand why. Please note that my keyless entry system does not require the key in the dash and that for the most part, BMW owners LIKE I-Drive. Perfect? No, Pretty good? Yep. Sure we all have a friend or roommate who doesn't love it, but for the most part, the BMW owners I've spoken to as well as listened to on other boards have no issue with it. IF it was really that bad, why are they still putting it in their cars and WHY THE HELL ARE PEOPLE STILL BUYING BMWS????

So anyway, I know we ended up talking a lot about driving dynamics but my bigger problem is with interior ergonomics, comfort and quality.

Does anyone like the controls in these german cars? It seems like you need to learn the "German way" to do what is usually simple functions in cars.
Power window buttons for example are often at a wrist bending angle. And you might as well pull over to change climate or radio stations with i-Drive.

In a Japenese, American, or Korean car, it takes ONE EASY push of a button to do any desired function. This way, you can focus on DRIVING.
Because it is different than what you are used to it is wrong? What about a German car buyer saying the same thing about the Japanese? Oh and you must not have ever been in a GS430 - because I assure you switching stations took more than an EASY push of a button.

Originally Posted by proximal
Are you sure the cars you are driving don't have the active steering option? That might take getting used to, but it's optional and should be avoided anyway.
ack, please don't say this. Active Steering happens to be one of my favorite features of my car. Most owners really like it - some don't and thank GOD it is an option (as opposed to the 2006+ GS4 where it is standard).

Originally Posted by tex2670
The best thing I've ever read about iDrive from a reviewer is, "It's not too bad." That's no ringing endorsement, whatsoever. Jeez--how about a touchscreen??
A reviewer - talk to owners who have lived with the car. It is not bad and those of use who have had both touch screen and I-Drive tend to prefer I-Drive. Yes, to me it is easier to use while driving.

Originally Posted by gengar
In my opinion, the problem is very simple: Benz and to a lesser extent BMW have the brand image that supports their sales. They don't necessarily have a reputation for service, quality, reliability, or even performance (speaking across their entire product lines) but people still put them on a pedestal anyway. It's the same thing that makes all those posers want to go out and get one. We all know them; the guys driving around in a CLS550 with ridiculous looking rims and that's probably almost as expensive as their house. Lexus doesn't have that crowd or that attitude to depend on, which is why, unlike Benz or BMW, they actually have to care about their customers and the service issues.
I've heard this before on CL and it is bunk. I know of several people who are not car enthusiasts by any means who test drove BMWs and far preferred them to the Lexus. Did they buy the BMW? Nope, not always - but often. The cars they drove were all in the same class (TL, 3-Series, C-Class, IS, A4, etc.). The BMW was in the mix cause it competes in that market space not because it is a BMW. Do some people buy a BMW cause of the name badge? I'm positive. Do some people buy a Lexus because of the name badge? You can count on it - and if you don't think the Lexus crowd doesn't bling up their cars then you have not spent any time on this board.
Old 12-11-07 | 04:34 PM
AzNMpower
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by doug_999
ack, please don't say this. Active Steering happens to be one of my favorite features of my car. Most owners really like it - some don't and thank GOD it is an option (as opposed to the 2006+ GS4 where it is standard).
+1. There are occasional instances where I wish it weren't there, but 90% of the time I like the Active Steering on our 325i. Especially in the bends.

A reviewer - talk to owners who have lived with the car. It is not bad and those of use who have had both touch screen and I-Drive tend to prefer I-Drive. Yes, to me it is easier to use while driving.
I find iDrive to be easier than my parents' portable Garmin sat nav. I still cannot use the touchscreen w/o focusing my entire attention span on that screen. Plus, the interface drives me mad.
Old 12-11-07 | 04:35 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rsantiago
One thing about Japanese cars based on my experience is when you press on the brake pedals it feels soft and spongy. In contrast to the German cars I've driven (E-Class, 3 Series) the brake pedal is much firmer and you can stop with confidence.

Though, I'll give the Japanese thumbs up in interior execution, hands down it beats the Germans.

In the end, both Japanese and German cars have both their merits and weaknesses.
Go test-drive an IS and tell me what you think of the brakes! They're superb.

Quick Reply: My Rant on German Cars - Anyone Else Agree?