Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

My Rant on German Cars - Anyone Else Agree?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-07, 04:32 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Rant on German Cars - Anyone Else Agree?

So I've now been working at an Acura Dealer for about 4 months now as a temporary job. The benefit of this is that I can test drive and really get to know tons of different cars - we see all makes and models.

I'll first say that Japenese cars IMO are easily superior to all others in almost ever category. American cars actually come in 2nd. Then German and any others.

For those of you who have driven BMW's, VW's (& Audi's), Benz's, Porsche's ect. you may agree. Germans seem to purposely go against everything that is standard about ergonomics and arguably driving feel. Radio, climate, and other controls are all hard to use until I guess you are forced to get used to them.
I've seen some without an AM/FM button! How annoying. Buttons and levers are placed in areas that are awkward to use.

Then there's driving feel. How do they rate high for many?? I HATE how they drive. You know how other cars roll nicely without giving gas? In a German car, it just sits there and then is often jumpy to go really slow.
The steering is also too stiff and has a dead feel to me. Give me the feel of a Toyota or Honda any day!!

Japenese cars have everything in the right place and they have the most comfortable and pleasant driving feel.

Well, I gotta go out. Maybe more later.
Old 12-08-07, 04:44 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Pop corn time!
Old 12-08-07, 04:51 PM
Coconut
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 57 Posts

hmmm, theyre european, thats how they are?
Old 12-08-07, 05:07 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Apples and Oranges and Jabanero Peppers...

Originally Posted by JLSC4
Germans seem to purposely go against everything that is standard about ergonomics and arguably driving feel...

Then there's driving feel. How do they rate high for many?? I HATE how they drive...

Japenese cars have everything in the right place and they have the most comfortable and pleasant driving feel...
Well, this came from nowhere...

I understand how you feel. You are a perfect example of a "functional" driver. I can appreciate how you value a pleasant driving feel. It's best for everyday driving, and there is nothing wrong with your ideology of what most Japanese vehicles provide.

However, we have to look beyond the functionality of cars, and also enjoy the technological and engineering aspect of many other vehicles out there. You cannot race many Japanese cars out there because that is not their purpose. European cars (Italian and German cars specifically) excel in such racing endeavors. Is something wrong with that? ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! It just addresses another aspect and issue with automotive enjoyment.

Cars have many purposes. Functionality is one (Camry or CV-R). Performance is another (F430 or M3) . The work horse also is important (F150 or Silverado). Making a statement is another (Prius or Maybach). Whatever it is, every car out there has a purpose; that is why they sell...
Old 12-08-07, 05:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I agree with much of what you say, JLSC4, with some exceptions. Quality-wise, there is no question that, in general, the Japanese.....and Hyundai now, too, to an extent......lead the pack. But, not all Japanese-nameplate vehicles....some Nissan/Infiniti, Mitsubishi, and newer Toyota/Lexus vehicles
have either not been impressive or have dropped in overall quality, and Isuzu only sells rebadged GM trucks in the American market. Honda/Acura and Subaru, in the last 5 years or so, have shown the most consistant quality across the board, while Hyundai has risen rapidly.

Among American-nameplate vehicles, Ford and Buick have done some fairly impressive vehicles lately, reliability-wise, though they still lack the refined feel of some of their Japanese competition and use some cheap-feeling parts. But the Ford Fusion and its two corporate brothers Mercury Milan and Lincoln Zephyr/MKZ have done well above average in reliability....quite unusual for new domestic-nameplate cars. Still, in general, I don't particularly like the paint jobs, interior plastics, and hardware used on many domestics (the new Cadillac CTS is an exception)....to me they have a cheap, unpleasant feel.

European vehicles, as a whole, dropped sharply in quality in recent years, mostly due to electronics and hardware-related issues.....but there is some evidence that may slowly be starting to improve once again, particularly with Mercedes, which, along with Land Rover, had the most unreliable vehicles of all.

I don't agree, however, with your negative assessment of BMW's steering feel. While there are a number of things I don't like about newer BMW's, to me (and to many others as well), there are simply no other mass-produced power-steering systems in the world that combine the road feel, steering effort, telepathic slickness, and just the overall magic that the BMW units do....at least the non-Active steering units. I-Drive may s**k, the sheet metal may s**k, the styling may s**k, the SMT gearboxes may s**k, but the steering and chassis? They simply are the BEST.
Old 12-08-07, 05:16 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I don't agree, however, with your negative assessment of BMW's steering feel. While there are a number of things I don't like about newer BMW's, to me (and to many others as well), there are simply no other mass-produced power-steering systems in the world that combine the road feel, steering effort, telepathic slickness, and just the overall magic that the BMW units do....at least the non-Active steering units. I-Drive may s**k, the sheet metal may s**k, the styling may s**k, the SMT gearboxes may s**k, but the steering and chassis? They simply are the BEST.
Werd, there is just no car out there that can match the direct feel of a BMW. Again, different strokes for different folks... some people think the steering is too heavy, and takes too much effort. Others love the feel and the response of BMW, and generally German steering. In addition, I've never encountered a BMW with "jumpy" throttles... they've got some of the smoothest engine responses out there, very easy to drive slowly (as well as quickly ;])
Old 12-08-07, 05:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by JLSC4
So I've now been working at an Acura Dealer for about 4 months now as a temporary job. The benefit of this is that I can test drive and really get to know tons of different cars - we see all makes and models.
OK..........YOU do the review, then, on the new NSX when it comes in.
Old 12-08-07, 05:43 PM
LexFather

Oh dear......

I'll just say Germans pretty much created the car and they had their way of doing things for decades. America did their things their way as well initially. Remember there was no global economy back then. Hell you had a hard time exporting German cars to another European country to sell!!

Japan got the latest start and seems to have blended the electronics better than anyone.

They all are distinctive in their own way, yet also the lines are blurring (build origin, styling, etc)

The OP is entitled to his opinion, so please let us not start a flame fest. There are those that don't understand Japanese cars for example....

Old 12-08-07, 06:56 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd say one of the problems Germans face is arrogance. For pure driving experience and feel, I'd say Germans are number one. But, it's clear they lag in reliability, and this has been a down hill coast over the past 10 -15 years. It seems that Germans begrudgingly add features (from cupholders to keyless start) because they have to, and don't really believe they should. How many years did Germans have those stupid pop out cupholders? (some still do). Now, it's the ridiculous iDrive, BMW's bizarre auto transmission gear shift where you have to push forward to put it in gear, and keyless entry systems where you still have to plug the key into the dash to start the car. The Japanese just know, ergonomically, what features buyers will respond to, and Germans are always playing catchup (or not).

Personally, I put American cars behind both Japanese and Germans, as to driving characteristics (leaving out questions of reliability). As to the issues above, American manufacturers don't seem to shun the features that the Japanese cars innovate; they TRY to mimic them, but rarely do so as well as the Japanese. Take the example of (sorry) minivans. Each time Honda or Toyota comes out with its new minivan, it goes straight to the top pick. Dodge/Chrysler can't say that, even after all these years. GM thought they could out do the Japanese with their new minivans--3 years later, they are out of production.

BUT--, to the OP, nothing drives like a German car.
Old 12-08-07, 07:41 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Well the OP said that he works for a Honda dealership, so I should just stop right there. This post is so full of ignorance and bias it doesn't really deserve a legitimate response.

Take care
Old 12-08-07, 07:47 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

oh boy

10 chars
Old 12-08-07, 09:17 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mavericck
Well the OP said that he works for a Honda dealership, so I should just stop right there. This post is so full of ignorance and bias it doesn't really deserve a legitimate response.

Take care
OK, before I respond to some of the other posts, let me first say that you are ignorant to think that. Oh, and I don't work for a Honda dealership.

For one thing, I work for an Acura dealer because they were hiring and I wanted a new job right away. I would have applied to any dealer that was hiring. Even German. If you knew me, you'd know that I have no bias for car brands. I drive dozens of makes and judge them for myself. Just my opinion. Everyone has their preferences and that is why they all continue to sell.

Also, my post may sound like I hate German cars altogether which I don't. I just dislike many of their qualities. I do like BMW's, MB's, ect. for a few things.

So please, next time don't make such a quick judgment.

Old 12-08-07, 09:23 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Well, this came from nowhere...
Doesn't every opening post come from nowhere??

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I understand how you feel. You are a perfect example of a "functional" driver. I can appreciate how you value a pleasant driving feel. It's best for everyday driving, and there is nothing wrong with your ideology of what most Japanese vehicles provide.

However, we have to look beyond the functionality of cars, and also enjoy the technological and engineering aspect of many other vehicles out there. You cannot race many Japanese cars out there because that is not their purpose. European cars (Italian and German cars specifically) excel in such racing endeavors. Is something wrong with that? ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! It just addresses another aspect and issue with automotive enjoyment.

Cars have many purposes. Functionality is one (Camry or CV-R). Performance is another (F430 or M3) . The work horse also is important (F150 or Silverado). Making a statement is another (Prius or Maybach). Whatever it is, every car out there has a purpose; that is why they sell...
I certainly agree with you. I am all for cars having different functions and purposes.

I'm simply pointing out what I think is the overall best package. For me, Toyota/Lexus and Honda/Acura seem to have the total package down.
Old 12-08-07, 09:34 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall

......I don't agree, however, with your negative assessment of BMW's steering feel. While there are a number of things I don't like about newer BMW's, to me (and to many others as well), there are simply no other mass-produced power-steering systems in the world that combine the road feel, steering effort, telepathic slickness, and just the overall magic that the BMW units do....at least the non-Active steering units. I-Drive may s**k, the sheet metal may s**k, the styling may s**k, the SMT gearboxes may s**k, but the steering and chassis? They simply are the BEST.

I know a lot of people praise BMW's steering feel and that's fine. I personally disagree. Right now, we have a 3,5, and 7 series (all '06's-'07's) on the lot that I've driven. The 3 was the biggest surprise to me because it's steering delivered a delayed response (you have to turn the wheel like 30 degrees before it starts turning the car). The 5 series is just very tight and too much energy is put into steering that I wouldn't want to drive for long. However, the 7 delivers a more comfortable feel which I don't have any complaints about.

These steering characteristics are perhaps better at high speeds but most steering is done at low speeds. I want a car that is comfortable to steer in the city where I'm steering constantly. On the highway, I'm pretty much driving straight.
Old 12-08-07, 09:43 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
I'd say one of the problems Germans face is arrogance. For pure driving experience and feel, I'd say Germans are number one. But, it's clear they lag in reliability, and this has been a down hill coast over the past 10 -15 years. It seems that Germans begrudgingly add features (from cupholders to keyless start) because they have to, and don't really believe they should. How many years did Germans have those stupid pop out cupholders? (some still do). Now, it's the ridiculous iDrive, BMW's bizarre auto transmission gear shift where you have to push forward to put it in gear, and keyless entry systems where you still have to plug the key into the dash to start the car. The Japanese just know, ergonomically, what features buyers will respond to, and Germans are always playing catchup (or not).

Personally, I put American cars behind both Japanese and Germans, as to driving characteristics (leaving out questions of reliability). As to the issues above, American manufacturers don't seem to shun the features that the Japanese cars innovate; they TRY to mimic them, but rarely do so as well as the Japanese. Take the example of (sorry) minivans. Each time Honda or Toyota comes out with its new minivan, it goes straight to the top pick. Dodge/Chrysler can't say that, even after all these years. GM thought they could out do the Japanese with their new minivans--3 years later, they are out of production.

BUT--, to the OP, nothing drives like a German car.
That 7-series gear shift is ridiculous as you mention. Good luck shifting gears in your first 5-10 minutes, lol.

And perhaps nothing may drive like a german car but I think it is only true at high speeds and when pushed to the limit. But how often do we see BMW's being pushed to the limit on roadways? I never do. Actually, I'm usually flying by them in my SC.

Quick Reply: My Rant on German Cars - Anyone Else Agree?