Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Do you get better Trade In Deal at the same brand dealership?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-07, 02:08 PM
RXSF

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Do you get better Trade In Deal at the same brand dealership?

Did that title make sense?

I happen to want to get rid of my 2002 IS300 hopefully soon since it has very low miles, around 32K. so far im looking at two replacements, and really only these two. the first is the IS350 and the second is the C350. to be honest, im leaning towards the Benz but that has nothing to do with this post.

what im asking is if i trade in the car, will i get a better deal on the trade in at the lexus dealership so they can sell it in their CPO program or w/e? im afraid that i would be getting less at the benz dealership.

the overall question is, do you get a better trade in deal at the dealership that is the same brand as the car you have and are going to buy or is it KBB where ever you go?
Old 12-11-07, 02:17 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

you get more from a private sale in the end, trading it in at the dealer is just convenient
Old 12-11-07, 03:26 PM
typeshblue
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is what you want to do, go check out the lexus see what they will give you for your trade, and then go to benz and see what they give you. for example if lexus gives you more for your trade and benz give you less, tell them that lexus is giving me more and most of the time they will match it. try to sell it to carmax and see what they give you
Old 12-11-07, 03:48 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The dealer will only get a certain amount of money from any used car, so all dealers will most likely offer the same trade-in value, no matter if it's the same make.
Old 12-11-07, 03:49 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RXSF
Did that title make sense?

I happen to want to get rid of my 2002 IS300 hopefully soon since it has very low miles, around 32K. so far im looking at two replacements, and really only these two. the first is the IS350 and the second is the C350. to be honest, im leaning towards the Benz but that has nothing to do with this post.

what im asking is if i trade in the car, will i get a better deal on the trade in at the lexus dealership so they can sell it in their CPO program or w/e? im afraid that i would be getting less at the benz dealership.

the overall question is, do you get a better trade in deal at the dealership that is the same brand as the car you have and are going to buy or is it KBB where ever you go?
My experience is that auto brand rants only exist on the internet. It is very likely that the MB dealer will call the local Lexus dealer and ask what the car is worth. Lexus will call the MB dealer if they get an MB in on trade to ask what it's worth. If you shop trade in value between dealerships you probably won't see much difference. I don't think they go by KBB as much as what the car is worth in your local market which is why they call that brands delaership for a price.

Selling privately will net you more money but the hassle factor is not to be underestimated. What a shame, a 2002 with 32K miles is never going to go for what it is really worth. I wouldn't be surprised if it never hits a dealers used lot either, probably scooped up by an insider for a relative or something. I though my 2k1 with 80K was relatively low miles. Good luck and if I can make one more comment, get the car you want.
Old 12-11-07, 08:20 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not necessarily. As long as your car is in tip top condition (give it a good wax and a vacuum before taking it in for appraising), you'll get top dollar. Now some dealers may give you more because they want that particular model or may give you less because they already have several examples of that model.
Old 12-11-07, 09:13 PM
LexFather

Exclamation

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
The dealer will only get a certain amount of money from any used car, so all dealers will most likely offer the same trade-in value, no matter if it's the same make.
Dealers actually make more $$$$ on used cars, though the perks from the parent company are less. Certified sales are becoming a big deal for Lexus, BMW etc....

If you had to trade it back into the dealer, I would trade it back to the dealer I bought the car from, if possible. Its important to start relationships with dealerships...

Old 12-11-07, 11:52 PM
RXSF

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

hmm carmax is a good idea...but i would have to drive all the way to sacramento for the closest one. I guess ill have to go around to sell my car...but that is rather inconvenient.

i bought the car in lexus of Marin...which i have only been to once...to buy the IS. My RX was bought at lexus of serramonte, which is where i get both cars serviced. in fact, i would think i have a very good relationship with my service advisor...to the point where he tries to save me money here and there.

thanks for the replies. i will take it into account.
Old 12-12-07, 02:09 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Well, giving the car a good washing and vaccuming before appraisal helps, but one of the main factors in a good trade offer is if you know the people you are dealing with and are a repeat customer. Many dealerships will cut a better deal with repeat customers than with strangers, both on new cars and for the trade-in. And, in my case, they will, also, sometimes, give the people I shop with and help a better deal then if they just went up alone. The key, brand-conscious or not, like with a good repair shop, is to stick to the people you know and trust from prior exerience.
Old 12-12-07, 04:27 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Dealers actually make more $$$$ on used cars, though the perks from the parent company are less. Certified sales are becoming a big deal for Lexus, BMW etc....

If you had to trade it back into the dealer, I would trade it back to the dealer I bought the car from, if possible. Its important to start relationships with dealerships...
The likelihood they will put a 2002 in the CPO program is low. They will probably sell it to a wholesaler/auctioneer. The wholesaler generally has a set price they'll pay--period. If you get any more $$ for your trade than the wholesaler would pay, it's because there's still room in the price you negotiated on the new car purchase.
Old 12-12-07, 05:05 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my past experience when shopping to trade in my GS’s I was offered more money at the Lexus dealer then anywhere else. I know I recall one time it was 2k more then other dealers.

Hope that helps.
Old 12-12-07, 06:47 AM
KayGee
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

I would advise you to consult Kelly Blue Book www.kbb.org, Edmunds www.edmunds.com and any other online souce that you can find to get a better idea of the trade in value. Be prepared to get your feelings hurt. I did.

Be very leary of any dealer that offers you significantly more than your research indicates the actual value is. If they give you more on your trade-in then they will make up the difference in the new car's price. Bottom line is that they aren't going to give you more for your car than they can sell it for (especially if it is older).

Private sale is definately the way to get more for it but you must consider the "hassle" factor involved.
Old 12-12-07, 07:26 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

especially around this time of the year the private selling is going to be tough. Xmas time is probably the worst time of the year to sell a car privately.

When I sold my prelude back then I bet the dealer wouldve lowballed me with 6-7k trade in, I sold it for 11.5k in autotrader in a few days in Oct 06. I had to sell the thing quick or else I would be stuck with it until after the holidays
Old 12-12-07, 08:46 AM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RON430
My experience is that auto brand rants only exist on the internet. It is very likely that the MB dealer will call the local Lexus dealer and ask what the car is worth. Lexus will call the MB dealer if they get an MB in on trade to ask what it's worth. If you shop trade in value between dealerships you probably won't see much difference. I don't think they go by KBB as much as what the car is worth in your local market which is why they call that brands delaership for a price.

Selling privately will net you more money but the hassle factor is not to be underestimated. What a shame, a 2002 with 32K miles is never going to go for what it is really worth. I wouldn't be surprised if it never hits a dealers used lot either, probably scooped up by an insider for a relative or something. I though my 2k1 with 80K was relatively low miles. Good luck and if I can make one more comment, get the car you want.
From personal experience, you are exactly correct.
Old 12-12-07, 09:16 AM
SCRUFFDOGG
Lexus Champion

You may also get lucky and find out the dealership has someone looking for your particular car. Happened to us when I traded in my '02 IS300 for the GX, they had a guy who had been looking for an '02 Blue IS300, auto, full leather, nav.....and I had one. If they think they have a buyer lined up for your trade you may get a better deal. The guy ended up buying my car and it never hit the lot.

Quick Reply: Do you get better Trade In Deal at the same brand dealership?