Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What do you want to see CHANGE at Lexus?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-07 | 04:11 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Arrow What do you want to see CHANGE at Lexus?

I got to thinking today about three things that I would like to see change with Lexus, and wondered what others might have to add.

Of course, I also started thinking about things such as "more hybrids! more F models!" but I think we all know that these things are in the pipeline, and simply take time.

First thing I would like to see is a distinguished, strong, and unique face for Lexus. I have mentioned it before but you see a car coming at you down the street and if it's a BMW, Mercedes, Audi, or Cadillac...you know it. These cars stand out and have bold features that will always be a part of their heritage, even if you took the emblem off. The slated grille with a bar down the center, or a twin kidney grille, or the bold application of Art and Science. Even Infiniti is starting to create a face for their cars that can be distinguished from the crowd.

Honestly, I cannot say the same for Lexus. I feel like the grille is one thing that should be more or less standardized across your product line. It's that one statement that can be changed a bit in size and application, but never in overall form. Headlights, front fascias, fog lights, it can all be different model to model but I think that the grille itself should be instantly recognizable. Lexus here, is somewhat bland and really has a contradiction of terms within it's own lineup. Most use an trapezoid shape but some have vertical bars, some have horizontal. Some use chrome, some do not. Some have three bars, some four, some five, some more.

Without the emblem, what makes the front end of an LS or ES that much different from a Camry, Azera, or the old Mitsu Lancer? Really...nothing. They all use the same generic Japanese cookie cutter shapes and lines. All of them. Lexus needs to start and do something to set itself apart, and something that even if it didn't have an emblem, would still look like a premium branded car. It needs to look like something special. I think that mesh is getting old, but they need to come up with something singular, unique, and distinguished.

Second, I think that Lexus stores could use a revamping. I know that some of you guys have seen their stores in Europe, Japan, and other places around the world and they are all BEAUTIFUL. Our American stores are simply a bunch of rectangles and really...uh...boring. Dealerships should be beautiful, interesting, and reflective of the brand. I would really like to see something like their Japanese stores with lots of glass, koi ponds, lights, colors, etc. The interiors of American Lexus dealerships are great, the exteriors are just so boring and I would love to see something more imaginative.

Lastly, I feel like Lexus needs to start to draw more upon it's Japanese heritage. Why does it seem like they are almost embarrassed of it? The German companies play off their lineage in much of their advertising, but Lexus has never mentioned it once. In this country, many people synomize "Japanese" with quality, reliability, impeccable craftsmanship, and technology. Incorporating more Japanese themes into some of their advertising and their dealerships would be a great step towards building an international image for the company.

A few others things...I think that LED projector headlights like those in the LS 600h would be a great signature design cue for Lexus. Audi is using LED headlights, BMW has angel eyes, and I think this projector style would be great for Lexus.

Also, can we be more imaginative with the "F" front grille? It looks like the same mesh pattern as the old Camry to be honest, and certainly derivative of other vehicles.

Last, how about something like chrome-shadow badging for the F cars? I think it would be a cool, unique touch.

What do you guys think should change?
Old 12-11-07 | 04:26 PM
RXSF

would a few kimonos and geishas in the commercials help?

I cant say that i would have chosen those three things, but they are definately legit. i dont know about others, but i can tell a lexus from any other car without the badge. its family resemblance...i guess it could be a good thing or bad thing.

dealerships: my local dealership sent me a letter a week ago telling me that as of january 08, they are remodeling...and that they would have a temporary location. i guess that starting to step up a bit on that.

i would like to see more hybrids first and foremost. i want them in every single class. and i want to see hybrids that have a balance between power and efficiency...toyota is too efficient, while lexus puts too much on "power", though i use that term loosely.

an IS300H with a 2.5 liter is what i want for christmas
Old 12-11-07 | 04:29 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

To a certain extent all the Japanese luxury marques have not produced a distinctive, brand defining look across a complete lineup. I'm specifically talking about a set of definable characteristics that set the design apart; the forward fascia with some unique design features; overall body contours; and applying this across a complete range from the sedans to SUVs. To some varying degrees, Acura, Infiniti, Lexus do not have as definable and unique a look across the range as Audi's waterfall grille; BMW's kidney-bean grille, and Mercedes' 3-pointed star + grille. However, Lexus has made some significant changes with the latest generation, and as the first Japanese luxury brand to compete globally, it is the farthest along in a number of aspects--with more to go.

L-finesse is an attempt, mostly successful IMO, to distinguish itself from its competitors and its Toyota/Japanese mid-market siblings, and I think it's safe to say that for the most part, the new LS/IS/GS/ES look very much Lexus in their design language. Anyhow, the L-finesse styling has started the trend with a grille set below the headlamps, and a distinct trapezoidal shape--still too understated for some, but familial enough for many to mistake one Lexus for another. At a quick glance, occasionally I have mistaken a GS for an IS. It is easier now to spot a "Lexus shape" whereas before it was individual models' styling.

I hope that a more and more distinctive face comes out from Lexus; I hope it is not too aggressive as to be polarizing; distinctive yes however. That said, there should still be room for variation; just like Mercedes has the badge-on-grille for some models (sporty), and hood ornament above grille for others (luxury); Lexus rightfully keeps horizontal bars (luxury) for the ES/LS, and vertical/waterfall for sporty (IS/GS).

LED headlights as signature---great idea!!!

Exterior dealership improvements---absolutely! That said, some pics are quite fascinating...Using Japanese-ness--yes, now is the time (not when they started, that was the mistake Infiniti made); now, Japanese-ness is more of an asset and they can use it to up the brand cachet, as advocated here:

http://www.monocle.com/sections/busi...s/Brand-Lexus/

It should not be over-emphasized--a point Lexus execs have acknowledged. Kimonos and geishas probably have less relevance than Japanese quality/engineering, Zen-ambience, and design themes.

However, even if they maintain the current level of styling, which is much improved, I would point to the F-Sport lineup as the biggest thing to expand the brand image.

One other detail...it's pretty clear now, within the past few years particularly, that Lexus = Luxury. I think that the new LX and LS stand for that upper echelon, but I would like to see those luxury features spread throughout the lineup (HDD, XM NavTraffic), and for Lexus to take the luxury banner and run with it even further, with more features (with reliability still) and wrest the luxury benchmark from Mercedes/Audi competition in many aspects.

Last edited by encore888; 12-11-07 at 05:09 PM.
Old 12-11-07 | 05:01 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

I don't see a smoking gun leaving a trail of problems for Lexus,
but I would suggest the following which are more product-related:

1) Build an IS coupe and convertible

2) Build an IS-F version of the IS Coupe.

2) Replace the SC 430 ASAP. Maybe with the LF-A: Lexus needs
a "halo" car badly

3) Offer a few more interesting exterior colors

4) Offer a "built to order" version of all vehicles. You want a GS 460
in Sapphire Blue with Black leather and Blackwood? No problem,
it'll be built to your specs and here in the US in eight weeks.
Old 12-11-07 | 05:24 PM
gs3db9
Driver School Candidate

SoCalSC4 is right we really need to get rid of the SC 430 ASAP( made a big mistake on the SC430 )

Need to Bring a COUPE on the IS or GS

Convertible should be the LS600L

Change the bodystyle of LX, looking different than the highlander
Old 12-11-07 | 05:58 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Well even though the GS styling has grown on me... It is still too "generic". I decided to satisfied my curiosity the other day and test drove both 2008 GS 460 and GS350. I was gonna make a thread about it, but changed my mind. At any rate, as I expected both delivered superb tranny shifts and a comfortable serenity... Unfortunately that was it. I punched them both on the freeway and the response is just non existent in terms of seat of the pants performance. This car is pleasing to the eye but for goodness sakes... Why have they refused to give more performance and feedback to the driver? I guess the answer is the buyer. I believe they/Lexus are content with "plush cars" and reliable cars.
To answer the question... "Performance."
Old 12-11-07 | 06:11 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
I don't see a smoking gun leaving a trail of problems for Lexus,
but I would suggest the following which are more product-related:

3) Offer a few more interesting exterior colors

I second both of those! And the interior palette could be more compelling too.
Old 12-11-07 | 06:13 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

I would like to see more Supra in Lexus. Of all the Toyota/Lexus models I have owned or driven, the Supra is the one that stands out in my mind with a true world class suspension. Obviously it was a 2+2 GT car but somebody in the Toyota organization understood how to balance ride and handling. Hunt those folks down in the organization and get them involved in every Lexus if the organization hasn't already Japanized every notion of being different out of them which would be a crime against humanity.
Old 12-11-07 | 06:37 PM
Arvin
Rookie

I hope Lexus provide manual transmission or DSG type gear box for IS-F and other future F line models. I know the 8 speed auto is faster than 99% of people with manual transmission but the driving fun is just not the same with auto IMO.
Old 12-11-07 | 07:46 PM
LexFather

1. I don't want to see a unique face for Lexus. I like how each car has its own "grill". Reviwers have exclaimed its amazing for years no Lexus looked alike but they were easily recognizable as a Lexus. Today, the Germans have now gone after that look, with their cars no longer looking identical.
-I would LOVE all Lexus to have YELLOW FOGS, I think that made the IS/GS very distinctive
-LEDs would be great. Lexus headlight clusters have always been big, jewelry, beautiful pieces (in most cases).
-Maybe the chrome strips on the bottom doors and integrated exhaust from the LS on all models?
2. I believe dealers spent over 800 million to revamp all dealerships. Lexus TOLD them so! In Atlanta, all are either BRAND new or totally revamped. An Inifniti dealer moved into an old Lexus spot, lol. I think the new dealerships are fantastic compared to the old ones, and clearly needed to be much bigger. There is no doubt the Euro/Japan ones are more special but they have much much smaller volume.
3. The Japanese culture is very humble in nature and I just don't see the world head over heels over it (yet ). I think they have to leave that angle to the Germans, who basically invented the car and raced them before Japan had a car. It takes a real educated person to understand Japanese culture, we don't have that many people in America (lol).

What I would like to see if they go ***** OUT with "F". The IS-F seems to be HARDCORE and I hope the GS-F and other "F" cars are the same.

We need more coupes. The SC 430 is not only 70k but just isn't in the minds of the youth. Why no IS AND GS coupe? How about a LS coupe, a big body, like the CL. Its not ABOUT sales figures, they won't be big sellers. They HELP build a sportier image for your brand.

I think Lexus commercials as of late are slipping, some are downright awful. Team One used to have home run after home run. Get back advertising right.
Old 12-12-07 | 12:06 AM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

I think Lexus should expand its lineup by adding:

one IS level RWD two door coupe costing around $40000,

one super car with at least 500hp costing around $120000,

That's it for now.
Old 12-12-07 | 12:22 AM
xioix
Racer
CL Folding 200000

More models; like coupes of IS, 2 seater roadster to compete with Z4, SLK, Boxster/Cayman, and a new SC as well as the LF-A

More interior color choices

Real sports suspension for the sports suspension option
Old 12-12-07 | 12:47 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4

Totally agreed, I don't understand some of their interior combinations, they're pretty bad. Built to order would definitely tickle many peoples' fancies.

I also think that Lexus should have a Hybrid version of everything they produce. I know eventually Toyota and Lexus will both have great hybrids for every single model and even eventually take over almost every single car they produce but most options would be nice here.
Old 12-12-07 | 01:59 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

If Lexus truly wants to make a mark they should have fourth gen GS V6 hybrid as a base model. It could be a carry over of current GS450h just with different battery setup to get normal trunk. That would differentiate GS even more from IS and ES as an upscale sedan. After V6 Hybrid next engine in a lineup should be current V8 from LS and then ultimate GS V8 Hybrid.

- Also I would love to see Lexus to update their interior concepts and gain the edge over competitors like they used to. Better interior ambiance lightning, unified lightning color scheme, more wood and leather options, use of real aluminum, etc. Just pay attention to little details and maybe some gimmick like Jag did with popping up drive selector. I would love them to stay with touchscreens but idea of some mouse(finger) pad on center armrest or steering wheel would not be bad at all. It would be much faster to use than any kind of i-drive system.

- Now my personal favorite More rim choices!!!!! Where are 19' and 20'? If next GS V8 doesn't get 19' standard and 20' as an option it would be a let down Seriously more wheel options on base models would be great and not just on super limited IS-F and LS600h
Old 12-12-07 | 02:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

What do you want to see change at Lexus?
Less funeral-like paint colors.

Availability of Matador Red and Amythist colors across the board.

A return of the SC300 or 350....it was absurd to dump the old one.

Keep the tires and underpinnings on sport-oriented models like the GS and IS models the way they are for handling enthusiasts, but dump the lower-profile tires and stiffer underpinnings on th new ES and LS, and go back to the ones on the last-generation models....the new ones have been stiffened up too much at these expense of ride comfort.

Put the superb interior quality, wood paneling, and trim back into the ES350 that the former ES330 had....the new one, in comparison, is a sea of cheaper plastic and dash rattles/creaks.

Go to a Saturn/Scion-style system of pricing and dealing at the dealerships where the cars are priced reasonably to start with, sell for a rigid, sticker-only, non-negotiable price with no markups or no discounts, and include a reasonable amount of profit for the dealership and a break for the customer. This is what helped make Saturn famous.......easy, no-nonsense paperwork in the sales pocess.

Drop the LX470......IMO there is no need to keep it in the lineup. In the U.S. market, it just doesn't sell enough. Its role is covered by the less-expensive but still almost as plush Toyota Land Cruiser, which itself doesn't sell that well in the U.S. either. The Land Cruiser is no econobox, either.....it is almost as expensive as the LX, and has almost everything to match except the amount of wood trim inside, the trick electronic suspension-height adjuster, and the cache of the nameplate.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-12-07 at 02:36 AM.

Quick Reply: What do you want to see CHANGE at Lexus?