Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Breaking Audi glass is not so easy

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-07, 05:20 PM
calichris
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

should have called tyrese from 2 fast 2 furious to break it
Old 12-13-07, 12:49 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Glass definitely has gotten a lot stronger, but I remember when I was in middle school, there was a large empty field with a lot of abandon cars where I live. We used to walk through there and trow rocks (Not large rocks, about the size of a large marble) and break all the glass on those cars. It was actually pretty easy. I once punched a front windshield and it spider webbed cracked. Never tried punching the side glass though. This was sure funny to watch though
Old 12-13-07, 12:50 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by toy4two
yes its actually stronger. One demo with the RX300 they tried to break out the sides to show how much safer the Volvo SUV glass was, problem was they couldn't break the RX300 glass, it was pretty funny to watch, egg on the face of the Volvo demonstraters for sure.
Anyone know which is harder to crack? The windshield or the side glass? I know the Lexus windshield is pretty fragile from what I read around here. I've only replaced the windshield on one of my cars and that was the Lexus.
Old 12-13-07, 07:24 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Anyone know which is harder to crack? The windshield or the side glass? I know the Lexus windshield is pretty fragile from what I read around here. I've only replaced the windshield on one of my cars and that was the Lexus.
Well, the side glass in most cars is 3/16" or 1/4" thick, tempered glass. Tempered glass shatters into tiny pieces when broken, and its usually up to four times stronger than regular annealed glass.

The windshield however is not tempered, but laminated annealed glass - consisting of two or more thin layers of glass with pvb interlayer, adding to about 1/4" thickness. So in a windshield its much easier to crack an individual layer of glass, but the glass will still be held together with the interlayer, which is pretty hard to break through.

As far as the strongest piece of glass I've ever had to break - it was the rear window if a Nissan Frontier pick-up that I got locked out of. I had to bang it with a heavy metal object, and when I finally broke it, it shattered into small pieces, just like tempered glass, but on top of that the pieces turned black. Perhaps the glass was tempered and somehow chemically treated to add strenght? It was only 1/8" thick, but it's strengts was comparable to that of 3/8" thick tempered glass.

P.S. The Lexus windshield maybe fragile because it consists of more than two layers of glass, thus making each individual layer thinner, but increasing noise isolation and increasing the overall strenght?
Old 12-14-07, 04:59 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it was posted on here, in the RX300 forum. The demonstration was supposed to show how the volvo uses some special glass so when it breaks it doesn't shatter or something, but they couldn't even get the RX300 glass to break with a sledgehammer until like the 10th try.