Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Wards announces "Ten Best Engines" list for 2007

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-07, 09:19 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by skater
1SICKLEX,

How exactly are engines "faster" than one another? Engine's don't run by themselves. Personally, I believe the new VQ37VHR is an excellent engine. Great power (note I didn't say "faster", because power delivery is only one part of the equation of speed & acceleration), sounds great & feels great, and has great technology with the addition of Variable Valve Event & Lift (VVEL). The engine has been up there in Wards Top 10 Engines for 13 consecutive years for a reason.

The only reason why the G37 is slightly slower than the IS350 is weight. If they both were to weigh the same, the G37 would easily out accelerate the IS350. Seeing how the lighter G35 Sedan with 306 HP matches the performance of the heavier G37 with 330hp, we can only imagine a G37 with the sedan's lighter weight would perform. As far as the 335i, its definately an under-rated "300hp/300tq". But then again, BMW does have a tradition of under-rating their specified power ratings.

I do agree though, that the VQ has had a bad tradition of gas guzzling for a V6. My 2006 G35 Coupe 6MT gets the same gas milage as my brothers 07 Mustang GT's, and my Dad's Lexus GS430

I guess I don't see the 3.7 really being any better than the 3.5 looking at performance figures to date. As for weight, for the third time, I've shown the Lexus 3.5 has faster figures than the 3.7 in a heavier car. So I'm not going to totally take the "weight" excuse.

I'll back off, b/c I'm now thinking they chose the 3.7 as this is the next evolution of the VQ and will surely be used in more applications. I am 100% in support of a VQ (3.5 or 3.7) engine being on that list, that engine has been sensational for over a decade.

Old 12-14-07, 06:24 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I guess I don't see the 3.7 really being any better than the 3.5 looking at performance figures to date. As for weight, for the third time, I've shown the Lexus 3.5 has faster figures than the 3.7 in a heavier car. So I'm not going to totally take the "weight" excuse.

I'll back off, b/c I'm now thinking they chose the 3.7 as this is the next evolution of the VQ and will surely be used in more applications. I am 100% in support of a VQ (3.5 or 3.7) engine being on that list, that engine has been sensational for over a decade.
The 3.5 application in the AWD GS350 has skewed 0-60. The 5.3 is a great time but a regular WRX gets around 5.5 with only 225hp. What did the AWD GS350 get as a trap in the 1/4th? Traps are a much better indicator of real world speed IMO.

BTW, weight makes a huge difference in performance. The fastest VQ 3.5HR gets 13.2 at 105.7mph in the 1/4th stock. Of course the 350Z ran the time. Its simply faster than either IS350/G35/G37 etc... due to being a couple hundred pounds lighter than the IS (couple thousand lighter than the G37)

Now I firmly believe that if Toyota increased the GR 3.5 to 3.7, it would be a faster engine due to a better powerband.
Old 12-14-07, 12:57 PM
Shawnmack
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

The Honda 3.5 can't compare to the Lexus 3.5. I had my sisters GS350 and destroyed an Acura TL with ease.
Old 12-14-07, 01:00 PM
Hypnotik
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Amazing how you take the FACT of ONE REVEW from Wards and its okay but the FACT of the OTHER REVIEW from R&T is disregarded .
Maybe because the 3.7 is still a VQ and the VQ has been on the list since it started. So it is a FACT that the VQ in any form has been regarded as one of the best v6s for the past **** years. And yes i disregard the RT 0-60 time for the GS because it is only one review so deal with it

The IS350 has the same engine. It does 0-60 on average about anywhere from 5.1-5.3 secs. The GS weighs more due to being bigger and the AWD system. Do the math. Its not that hard to comprehend the fact that when the same engine is used in a heavier car, it would tend to be slower. So using one review and state it as fact to say its better than another engine from one review is

Last edited by Hypnotik; 12-14-07 at 01:07 PM.
Old 12-14-07, 01:31 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Hypnotik
Maybe because the 3.7 is still a VQ and the VQ has been on the list since it started. So it is a FACT that the VQ in any form has been regarded as one of the best v6s for the past **** years. And yes i disregard the RT 0-60 time for the GS because it is only one review so deal with it

The IS350 has the same engine. It does 0-60 on average about anywhere from 5.1-5.3 secs. The GS weighs more due to being bigger and the AWD system. Do the math. Its not that hard to comprehend the fact that when the same engine is used in a heavier car, it would tend to be slower. So using one review and state it as fact to say its better than another engine from one review is
Welcome to yesterday, read post 46 please.

You show your clear BIAS by saying:
-The GS was only tested in one review so I can't believe it.
-Wards one review says the VQ is ten best and I believe them.

So please explain how you can believe ONE review but not the other?

You are then using HYPOTHESIS about "weight" when I am using DATA. You are saying "IT SHOULD BE SLOWER" when the data shows "ITS JUST AS FAST".

So you are refuting the review from R&T but loving the one by Wards.

With the DATA we have, the conclusion is the 3.5 in the LEXUS is a stronger ENGINE as;
1. It has quicker times than the competition in the lighter IS.
2. It has quicker times than the competition (or on par) in the HEAVIER GS.

Old 12-14-07, 04:38 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

As much as I like the potential of the 335i engine, doesn't it overheat? I think unreliable engines should automatically be disqualified on that list.

I thought for sure the GM Ecotech 2.0 Turbo would be on the list, but it has reliability issues too.

I currently have a 3.5 VQ and I think it makes it on the list just for sound! Best sounding stock engine ever.
Old 12-14-07, 05:10 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by toy4two
As much as I like the potential of the 335i engine, doesn't it overheat? I think unreliable engines should automatically be disqualified on that list.

I thought for sure the GM Ecotech 2.0 Turbo would be on the list, but it has reliability issues too.

I currently have a 3.5 VQ and I think it makes it on the list just for sound! Best sounding stock engine ever.
Well seems with the "sport" kit, the 335 comes with an oil cooler. I am surprised it made it by severe testing without one but they fixed the situation pretty quickly.

Old 12-14-07, 05:47 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Every body need to understand that these awards are not about acceleration or the performance of an automobile. It's all about technological achievement in design, efficiency, and economy of an engine. Can we PLEASE forget about the cars these things are used in and focus on the merits of the engine only?

Originally Posted by Shawnmack
The Honda 3.5 can't compare to the Lexus 3.5. I had my sisters GS350 and destroyed an Acura TL with ease.
Congratulations on your 303HP GS win over a 258HP TL. You must be very proud.
Old 12-14-07, 06:03 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Every body need to understand that these awards are not about acceleration or the performance of an automobile. It's all about technological achievement in design, efficiency, and economy of an engine. Can we PLEASE forget about the cars these things are used in and focus on the merits of the engine only?

Congratulations on your 303HP GS win over a 258HP TL. You must be very proud.
Wait, so let me get this right. You are being sarcastic b/c the GS and Tl have similar displacement but the GS has more HP? Sounds like one has more tech than the other.

Old 12-14-07, 06:10 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

A lot of forced induction motors on the list!!
Old 12-14-07, 06:32 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

This is what I think about the list: I think a good engine should stay good for long time, not only when it is new. VQ engine has proven its extremely good reliability since it came out, so does the BMW's NA 3.0L I6. However, the twin turbo 335i's engine hasn't proven any thing yet since it has just came out for less than a year. It is great when new, but how about after 100,000 miles? Not sure. But I do agree 335i's engine is a very very peppy and yet quiet and smooth engine, because I have driven one. I realize that many V6 engines on the list, and it is very understandable because these engines almost achieve what a V8 engines does but eats much less fuel, and they are as smooth as those V8s. Now that is some kind of achievements. V8 is SUPPOSED to be powerful and smooth and quiet, so no matter how good it is, they can't be impressive due to its inborn demerit of being fuel thirsty.
Old 12-14-07, 07:21 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wait, so let me get this right. You are being sarcastic b/c the GS and Tl have similar displacement but the GS has more HP? Sounds like one has more tech than the other.
LOL. Actually I realize now that he was referring to the 287HP 3.5 in the TL-S.
First, 287HP from a 3.5L WITHOUT direct injection! The Non D.I. Lexus 3.5 only manages 268.
Second, the TL has reached it's upper HP limit for its FWD chassis, hardly the engines fault.

I just don't understand why some of these engines are being slammed just because the cars they're installed in don't perform as well as some think they should. It's not about the cars.

I was being sarcastic because of the silly comment by Shawnmack.
"The Honda 3.5 can't compare to the Lexus 3.5."
In what way? HP? That's it? What about NVH? what about emissions? what about fuel efficiency?

My second car is a 2002 Honda Accord with a 3.0 and I will tell you right now that that engine is smoother and quieter that my IS350.

I've always loved Honda's so I'm a little biased. Everything's cool.
Old 12-14-07, 10:05 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Shawnmack
Doesn't the TL come with a 3.2L engine?

It is the TL-S that comes with the 3.5L engine and I think that is a pretty quick ride....
Old 12-14-07, 10:10 PM
LexFather

Oh I'm cool, I mean, they are all damn good engines. And I can now drop this subject!!

Old 12-15-07, 06:21 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

acura J series engine is really old, they need a new V6

Quick Reply: Wards announces "Ten Best Engines" list for 2007