Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Nissan unveils navigation-enabled cruise control

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-07, 02:16 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Nissan unveils navigation-enabled cruise control

Radar-based cruise control systems are quickly becoming par for the luxury course, but Nissan is upping the ante with a new setup that integrates the on-board navigation system to adjust vehicle speed. The system will grab route information from the sat nav, anticipating curves, and then adjust speed for the corner and then resume acceleration once the turn is complete.

The Distance Control Assist feature will also make sure that drivers are aware of an impending disaster, even with their foot on the accelerator, by pushing the gas pedal against the driver's foot. If the system detects things are going to go sour quickly, it will sound off an audio warning and display a message telling the driver to hit the brakes.

This new navigation-based system is yet another attempt at removing the driver from the equation, something that's met with a fair share of skepticism around Autoblog HQ. We're more content to do the driving ourselves and know full well that systems like this, although touted as a safer means of travel, will inevitably result in more driver inattention as motorists rely on the car to do their duties for them. Although, they said the same thing when cruise control first appeared on the scene, too.
Old 12-14-07, 02:19 PM
LexFather

Thats pretty trick as long as the navigation is completely accurate!

Old 12-14-07, 03:27 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 733 Likes on 505 Posts

When I was car shopping around May, the Live Traffic in an Acura TL-S was still off by quite a bit. It would be pretty annoying for the car to start slowing down when all is clear ahead of you. Of course, people could always just pay attention when they're driving
Old 12-14-07, 05:29 PM
DrUnBiased
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
When I was car shopping around May, the Live Traffic in an Acura TL-S was still off by quite a bit. It would be pretty annoying for the car to start slowing down when all is clear ahead of you. Of course, people could always just pay attention when they're driving
Well with Live Traffic it all just depends on whenever XM sends a signal with an update. The technology itself is fine and I actually find it real useful in the RL when deciding whether I should take the 5 or 405 if I need to go to LA. For the most part, XM just needs to do a better job of being more accurate and current.
Old 12-14-07, 06:18 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

That is of such little value. If you are driving on a road that curves so sharply that the cruise would slow you down, you shouldn't be using the cruise to begin with.
Old 12-14-07, 07:35 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1. that assumes the navigation map is correct

2. why are you using cruise control on a curvy road?

3. It might be good if you're on a unfamiliar road at night with no streetlights

4. Why are you driving so fast?

I think a beep is good enough if it thinks you going too fast for that corner. I'd rather let the person crash and explain his/her stupidity to the police then have the car save him/her and make him/her think he's/she's invincible.
Old 12-15-07, 04:49 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It's all cool really. We have cars that park itself, might as well have cars that drive itself as well. All useless, but still cool to invent.
Old 12-15-07, 05:43 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It'd be interesting to see what happens in tunnels.