Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

When Toyota had balls.......

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-07, 09:16 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

indeed i hope toyota will pick up their slag on this soon (without losing any of the quality though).... it's been a long time since the supra legend...
Old 12-15-07, 02:37 PM
Goldark
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
The supra and MR-2 Turbo were the only two toyotas I have ever been excited about.

Can't tell you how **** I was when toyota decided to replace the MR-2 with this (fill in the blank):

hello fan boi.
I guess you missed the 1st gen MR2 and you don't realize that the designer / person who came up with the MR2 didn't work on the 2nd gen MR2 because the MR2 was never meant to be what was produced during the 2nd gen.

MR2 1st gen and MR2 3rd gen are the the core of what an MR2 was supposed to be.

The 2nd gen MR2 was going against the initial design and making a heavy *** pig (read that as a MISTAKE)
Old 12-15-07, 03:33 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldark
hello fan boi.
I guess you missed the 1st gen MR2 and you don't realize that the designer / person who came up with the MR2 didn't work on the 2nd gen MR2 because the MR2 was never meant to be what was produced during the 2nd gen.

The 2nd gen MR2 was going against the initial design and making a heavy *** pig (read that as a MISTAKE)
I'm a fan boy because I dont like the 3rd gen MR2? Or am I a fan boy because I dont agree with your liking? Or maybe because I dont like awkward looking cars like the 3rd gen? Sorry I'm not an elitist to appreciate the 1st and 3rd gen MR2 as much as you. Core or not, I like the 2nd gen MR2 the most.

Some people like the E46 BMW M3 more than the E30 BMW M3, 'elites' may disagree for the reason that the E46 is much heavier. Yet the E46 is among the favorite M3s of all time. I guess they're all fan boys too?

Sorry but I'm going to have to disagree on this. I like the 2nd gen for its looks. Heavy is a relative term. Heavy compared to the 3rd gen? Yes...but in absolute term? 2700lbs isn't that heavy.

Which brings back to the topic at hand. Most people who buy cars are not going to be too knowledgeable about the car's pass history. They are not going to study the 'core' of the car. If they like what they see, they will buy. Fortunately, I buy my cars based on what I like not what the past has to offer. This is why I like the MKIV supra, 2nd gen MR-2, and the 6th gen Celica. Each for their own reason, nut because of what it's mean to be.
Old 12-15-07, 06:14 PM
MoLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Old 12-15-07, 06:21 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ksxxsk
Wow. What is that?
Toyota Sera. We have a few imported to Canada but they're usually sold before they even arrive. I sat in one (the local dealer had one on display) and it was asking for $10,000.

1.6 litre engine I think with 100-110hp.

Coco, any used ones to send over here?
Old 12-15-07, 06:26 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Goldark
hello fan boi.

If you cannot address people maturely without calling them a fan boi, when you DON"T KNOW this person, you and ANYONE will take a vacation.

The snide remarks in car chat will stop.

Old 12-15-07, 07:03 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This is when toyota had ***** too:

btw: that celica is true JDM = right hand steer

Old 12-15-07, 07:17 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

This thread is really bittersweet. Sweet in that it recalls a great enthusiast time for the Asian carmakers, bitter in that that age seems to be over. There really was a golden age for the Japanese big 3, The picture ISICKLEX shows is proof of Toyota's contribution to that period.

During the 80-90's Toyota had it's Supra, Celica, MR2. Heck, even the lowly Paseo was a tribute to the non-vanilla in budget form. Honda had the Prelude and Nissan had the Z cars, 240SX, the Maxima was a 4 door sports car and Sentra SE-R was real pocket rocket. Remember the Pulsar? Mazda had the sexy MX6.

Something happened in the late 90s. The enthusiast was left behind in favor of high-volume sedan and light truck sales.

The encouraging thing is that the Japanese big 3 seem to be slowly noticing to the enthusiast again. Nissan is getting serious about sport coupes and cars. I think Toyota will too. Will we see a new Supra? and New Celica? I think so.
Old 12-15-07, 07:24 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by speedflex
Nissan is getting serious about sport coupes and cars. I think Toyota will too. Will we see a new Supra? and New Celica? I think so.
Yea but its nothing the average joe can afford... therefore worthless
Old 12-15-07, 07:38 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Call me crazy, but I'm diggin this 1st gen celica:

Old 12-15-07, 08:10 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
Yea but its nothing the average joe can afford... therefore worthless

The Z is very affordable, isn't it? There's talk of bring back the Silvia too. But that's really not what the thread is about. It's about having the ***** to bring serious enthusiast cars to market no matter what. That can never be worthless.
Old 12-15-07, 08:19 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by speedflex
The Z is very affordable, isn't it? There's talk of bring back the Silvia too. But that's really not what the thread is about. It's about having the ***** to bring serious enthusiast cars to market no matter what. That can never be worthless.
Oh yea the Z... sorry my bad forgot about that one. As for 'serious enthusiast cars to market no matter what.'... well we'll just have to wait n see, cuz while ferraris arent 'worthless', they sure are to the average joe
Old 12-15-07, 10:28 PM
habitat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
when toyota had *****....

Lets see... Where are the "*****" are on this Toyota Sera...
Maybe with the 1.5L 4 banger with 110HP...NO.
Or the FF layout... NO.
Must be the Mclaren F1 styled doors and the projector headlamps! This is a fairy car, just like the Paseo (AKA 2-door Tercel).
Old 12-15-07, 11:21 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by habitat
Lets see... Where are the "*****" are on this Toyota Sera...
Maybe with the 1.5L 4 banger with 110HP...NO.
Or the FF layout... NO.
Must be the Mclaren F1 styled doors and the projector headlamps! This is a fairy car, just like the Paseo (AKA 2-door Tercel).
Well your Camry V6 of the same vintage only made 126hp (or thereabouts) right? The 4 cylinder Camry made 90hp.

110hp is quite respectable for a 91. The doors and T-top design just add to the cool factor.
Old 12-16-07, 12:07 AM
habitat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Nextourer
Well your Camry V6 of the same vintage only made 126hp (or thereabouts) right? The 4 cylinder Camry made 90hp.

110hp is quite respectable for a 91. The doors and T-top design just add to the cool factor.
I think the op of this thread defined "*****" as power. With this generation Supras with 320hp, Celica gtfour with 250HP and MR2 getting 200hp... we got *****!
I'm sure you have a point but this thread is about Toyomoco cars that had *****... and you introduced a that has none.

Quick Reply: When Toyota had balls.......