Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

How to sell car privately (steps)?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-07, 02:39 PM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to sell car privately (steps)?

What are the steps to selling a car privately? Are there anything special that I need to know that might let me avoid any trouble after the sale? I just paid off my loan to my current car and probably will receive the title in 10-12 days. I am planning to list on ebay, autotrader and maybe a few forums. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 12-15-07, 02:44 PM
Hazelrah
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It varies by state, so you will want to go to your state's DMV website. They usually have a section about how to sell a car, what forms you need, etc.

Also, if you have an out-of-town buyer, make sure they do it the same for *their* state (whatever state they expect to register the car in) and that they have all the forms (if any) that will require your signature or other info.
Old 12-15-07, 11:59 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please make sure you detail the car before you list it. When people look for a car, they want to see a car, not dirt. When you list the car, be sure to post a lot of pictures!!! It does wonders for selling the car. When I sold my Integra, I listed it on Honda-Tech.com. They have a vehicles for sale forum (just like CL). It's free to post. Best of all, the people that are looking at this site are all about the car brand you're trying to sell, so you're pretty much advertising to your target market.
Old 12-16-07, 07:38 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When it comes to the $$$, don't accept a personal check. Only bank checks and certified funds.

I have always had luck selling my cars locally in the paper. Detail it, have it inspected (if needed in your state...it is needed in Maryland), have your maint. records available for review. The car should sell itself!
Old 12-16-07, 08:05 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

i personally made a powerpoint presentation loaded with info and pics about the car, and for people interested I emailed them the powerpoint presentation
Old 12-16-07, 11:30 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,484 Likes on 1,632 Posts

Originally Posted by NINEZeRO
What are the steps to selling a car privately? Are there anything special that I need to know that might let me avoid any trouble after the sale? I just paid off my loan to my current car and probably will receive the title in 10-12 days. I am planning to list on ebay, autotrader and maybe a few forums. Any help would be appreciated.
Just wondering, and none of my business, but you just got it paid for and you want to immediately sell it?

You could also just use what you used to pay in car payments for something else, like saving.

Anyway if you do go to sell, good luck with it. I've sold several cars privately - no problems. I got the car absolutely spotless which takes quite a bit of effort and get EVERYTHING of yours out of the car - people don't want to see your personal stuff in the car!!!

If your tires are very worn people will view that negatively so you might want to get new ones if that's the case.

As for the actual selling process - do an agreement of sale, plenty of samples online where you state the car is being sold as is (I presume) and have the buyer sign it. It details price, what's included, date, etc.
Old 12-16-07, 12:53 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

If you list on eBay, you need to specify buyer pickup, and may want to look into providing quotes from a local shipping service or refer buyers in the auctions to a website or contact number where they can get a quote for themselves. You also want to make sure that the rest of your auction description is as professional as possible. Additionally, if you have low feedback count or negatives, eBay is probably not the way to go for auto selling.