Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Bmw X6 Sav

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-07, 05:40 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
Senior Moderator

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Bmw X6 Sav

Link for the extra long Press Release.
http://www.mwerks.com/artman/publish...cle_1289.shtml

Editor's Note- Below is the official press release for the production
X6, which will make its debut in a few weeks at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit. As expected, the production version is extremely similar to the X6 Concept that was shown last September in Frankfurt.

The big news is that both engine options make use of twin-turbo technology, pointing to the sporting ambitions of this all-new model. The standard engine is the 3.0-liter straight six that makes 300 hp and 300 lb-ft and is now being used in the 1 Series, 3 Series and 5 Series. The optional 4.4-liter V8 makes 400 hp and a whopping 450 lb-ft for some serious asphalt ripping potential. Clearly the Porsche Cayenne and Land Rover Range Rover Sport are in BMW's sights with the X6.

The X6 shares its basic architecture with the new X5, and will be built in the same facility in Spartanburg, South Carolina. The X6 will arrive in dealers next spring as a 2009 model, and pricing will be announce closer to market introduction.
Old 12-15-07, 05:48 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
Senior Moderator

Old 12-15-07, 06:10 PM
JesLet
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I like the front but the rear looks like a lifted sedan.
Old 12-15-07, 06:12 PM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I fail to see the point of this thing, I guess they were going for a Range Rover Sport/Range Rover relationship with the X6 and X5. The only problem is the X5 is no Range Rover...
Old 12-15-07, 06:16 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The car is ugly but man, that 4.4l turbo motor is so effing sweet!!
Old 12-15-07, 06:17 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't believe they're calling it a coupe. And I thought MB was bad with the CLS (not the car itself, just calling it a coupe too).
Old 12-15-07, 06:25 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
Senior Moderator

Default Edmunds: 2009 BMW X6 @ NAIAS

What is it?
2009 BMW X6

What's special about it?
Coupelike agility combined with SUV utility? That's the promise of the 2009 BMW X6. It sounds like a stretch, but if any company can pull it off, BMW can. It already made its X5 SUV handle like a sedan, so making the similarly sized (although slightly lower) X6 feel like a coupe isn't impossible.

A choice of two turbocharged engines should help. Base models, which will be known as the xDrive35i, will get the same twin-turbo 3.0-liter inline-6 as the 3 and 5 Series sedans. It delivers 300 horsepower and 300 pound-feet of torque, so even the entry-level X6 should be plenty fast.

The real news is the top-of-the-line model known as the xDrive50i. It's the first BMW to use the company's new twin-turbocharged 4.4-liter V8. Like the smaller inline-6, the all-aluminum V8 uses direct injection to help deliver both efficiency and big power. Rated to produce 400 hp and 450 lb-ft of torque, the xDrive50i tops both the supercharged Range Rover Sport and the Porsche Cayenne S in both horsepower and torque. BMW says the xDrive50i will go from zero to 60 mph in 5.3 seconds. Top speed is electronically limited to 155 mph.

All-wheel drive is standard on both trim levels of the X6 along with a six-speed automatic transmission. A new system called Dynamic Performance Control (DPC) has also been added to the xDrive all-wheel-drive system. In addition to modulating power between the front and rear wheels, DPC also has the ability to increase or decrease torque to each of the rear wheels to help steer the X6 through corners. Those wheels will be 19 inches in diameter on most X6s, although 20-inch wheels will be available as an option.

With such advanced hardware, the coupelike qualities of the X6 don't seem like an exaggeration. It's the utility end of the equation that's a little harder to justify. Unlike the current X5, the X6 is designed for a driver and three passengers only. There are no third-row seats of any kind and the second row gets a center console between the seats. There are only 25.6 cubic feet of cargo space behind the rear seats, and even with the seats folded, the maximum cargo space only goes up to 59.7 cubic feet. That's less than BMW's smaller X3 SUV on both counts.

It looks as though BMW is counting on buyers who are more interested in the coupe side of the equation anyway, as everything about the interior is geared toward driving fast. All four seats feature oversize side bolsters and integrated headrests. There's also a standard sport steering wheel with integrated shift paddles, not to mention a set of knee pads on the center console to give the driver and front passenger something to lean on in fast turns.

Production starts in the spring of 2008 at BMW's assembly plant in Spartanburg, South Carolina, so expect to see the X6 in dealerships by June. BMW has yet to announce any pricing, but given its premium engine lineup, the X6 will most likely slot in slightly above the current X5.

What's Edmunds' take?
It's an interesting package of performance and utility. Too bad it comes in a shape that will send buyers flocking to the X5 instead. — Ed Hellwig, Senior Editor, Inside Line
Old 12-15-07, 06:41 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

Interesting vehicle and it will probably sell! Interior is hideous as usual.
Old 12-15-07, 06:47 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Such unfortunate proportions. And that gaping front end. Gross. Though I know once I see it in person I will be like zomg I want that car anyway -.-

The interior is straight out of an X5, which is actually quite a nice interior last time I was in it.

Jesus 400 hp? When will these horsepower wars end? More power is always nice but this is getting pretty ridiculous.
Old 12-15-07, 09:45 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

the 3 couldve used the headlight and tailights from this car
Old 12-15-07, 10:12 PM
LexFather

I am sorry to future owners but that is disgusting inside and out. Totally disgusting. Freddy Kruger's face looks better than this mix of animal feces.

BMW KNOWS people will buy no matter what, so more power to them.

Old 12-15-07, 10:34 PM
GS3Tek
Forum Moderator

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Love that joystick
Old 12-15-07, 10:47 PM
LexFather

Oh dear, those engines are phenomenal! 300hp base and 400 optional....damn....damn...wow...wow...

tt I-6 and tt V-8...wow, this was E39 M5 numbers....wow.

Old 12-15-07, 10:50 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

...why?
and is this going to cost more than the X5? X3>X5>X6? Or are they going to break that hierarchy? Well, I guess they broke it anyways but using an even number for what seems to be a commonly produced cars compared to the other even numbered series like the 6 and 8.
Old 12-15-07, 11:42 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm intrigued, but not interested.

How is this monstrosity "functional"? Do you really need to climb up a rocky ridge that fast? Does it have the interior capacity to make it a space-efficient city-hauler?

I know people ask for the best of both worlds (off roader SUV and fast sporty vehicle), but I question if this can satisfy both wants...

Quick Reply: Bmw X6 Sav