Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Volvo’s future safety tech

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-07 | 08:32 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Default Volvo’s future safety tech

Volvo’s future safety tech

Posted on Monday 17 December 2007

Volvo has long been recognized as one of the leaders in automotive safety technology, and this is a reputation its likely to keep thanks to a raft of new technologies the carmaker will be rolling out in coming years. Collision warning with automatic braking for pedestrians, collision avoidance by automatic steering, and vehicle-to-vehicle communication are three concepts currently in development by Volvo.

The collision warning with automatic braking system uses radar technology with a wide-angle search area to detect objects in front of and around the car and brake if it predicts an accident will occur. Before the system allows a computer to take control, it will alert the driver using a warning signal and sound.

Collision avoidance by automatic steering uses a camera to monitor the car’s position between lane markers. If a car wanders across any of the lane markers without using the indicator, the driver is warned by an audible signal. The system also detects if the car has moved into the oncoming lane and can automatically steer itself back to a safe position in the original lane.

The final system is the vehicle-to-vehicle communication set-up, which can receive information on other cars further up the road or around blind corners.

Sadly, the trend of carmakers installing systems that take control away from drivers is on the rise and it’s only a matter of time until one of those controls will limit the speed at which a car can travel or the rate of acceleration it can move at.
via motorauthority
Old 12-17-07 | 08:48 AM
Koma
CL Folding 25,000

Honestly I think the government should invest in keeping unsafe drivers off the road and enforcing stricter requirements for licensing.
I'd rather not be nannied by these electronic assisting measures. I know I'm a good driver and don't really find all these extra gadgets. When I have kids I'll never buy a car for them solely on the purpose of keeping them safe in the event of an accident. I'll give them a normal car with normal safety restraints (airbags, seatbelts (duh), ABS, traction control). I'd teach them good driving practices. I hate when I see massive trucks/SUVs on the road driven by 16 year olds who are talking on their cell phone not paying attention because their parents think a Hummer H2 is safe for their children. That's what I call bad parenting. If you cared enough and are involved enough with your children they could drive a crap box Corolla with airbags and seatbelts safer than a Hummer surrounded with brushguards.

Almost all accidents can be evaded with good driving practices even if it the accident wasn't caused by you. I mean I can see when some idiot in front of you screws up and you can't do anything but slam on the brakes and avoid smashing into them but if that's the case. The person in front of you shouldn't have their license. I'm still very young (21) and have been driving only around 5 years but in those 5 years I have never been involved in a major accident where I needed all these nanny devices. I've avoided plenty of accidents that people in front of me had done incredibly stupid things and it's because I was taught good driving practices and techniques.
Old 12-18-07 | 11:12 AM
jracerlmn
Lexus Champion

zzz mercedes has had this for years....