Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2008 Chevrolet Malibu 1LT

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-07, 01:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Mike, you have to start taking pics of you in your reviewed cars. Model for us...
Here I am at the DC Auto Show a couple of years ago.....with the Chrysler Aspen and Dodge Challenger.
I've lost weight since then, and am about 35 lbs slimmer.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...l+dc+auto+show

My computer, picture-posting, and digital-camera skills are very low.......they lag far behind my reviewing skills. I also have a Sony Vaio laptop/AOL with only limited capability.
Old 12-19-07, 01:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS350jet
You said "Well, the first impression, as you walk up to this car, is two things. First, of course, is the strong, almost identical similiarity to the Saturn Aura, which I have already spoken about above, so I won't re-hash that again here. Second, compared to the old Malibu, is its substantially smaller exterior size, with its smaller front/rear overhangs, lower stance, tapered hoodline, larger wheels, and low, humpback-whale roofline."

I'm curious because the new Malibu is actually larger than the previous one. Even seeing one on the road it is clearly larger. Did you mean to say larger and not smaller?
Yes and no. It has much shorter front and rear overhangs than the first or second-gen model. In that sense, it is like a BMW 3-series. And, as I indicated, it has a lower, more cramped roof line, easily, than either of the first two-generation cars as well....and, like on the Dodge Magnum/Chrysler 300, the relatively high beltline accentuates the low roof even more.

So in one sense you are correct......it may APPEAR smaller in almost every dimension, but whether it actually IS or not depends on the specific measurement and specific dimension. And that is what I was referring to...the general appearance of the car. It stikes you, at first glance, not only as a Saturn Aura clone, but also somewhat smaller than its predecessors, although the actual ratios of dimensions with those predecessors will vary by specifics....I didn't get into every single one.

If I did a poor job of explaining that in the review (and I may indeed have)...my apology. I hope this clears it up a little.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-19-07 at 02:05 PM.
Old 12-20-07, 03:43 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Nice review mmarshall, this new malibu is 10 times plus better than the one it replaced........I really love those commericals lol.
Old 12-20-07, 05:57 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by cherplex
Nice review mmarshall, this new malibu is 10 times plus better than the one it replaced........I really love those commericals lol.
Thanks.

Yes, it is a better car overall, especially inside, but I tend to like softer underpinnings. There the old car had a smoother ride. The tendency today is to try and make everything sport sedans.