Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

How to gift-wrap a car . . .

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-07, 06:47 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts
Default How to gift-wrap a car . . .

How to gift-wrap a car

All wrapped up

A car makes a dream Christmas present, but how do you wrap it? Our experts reveal all...

By Julie Sinclair 18th December 2007

Trying to keep the perfect Christmas present under wraps isn’t easy – especially when it’s 1.8 metres tall, 1.9 metres wide and 2.7 metres long!

But one company’s got the job covered – and we joined it to do just that to the aptly named Hyundai Santa Fe. Gift-wrapping a seven-seat SUV is no mean feat, though, as Hyundai London, along with Kent firm Creative FX, (www.fxuk.net) demonstrated.

Creative’s owner Sean Davis and his colleague Gary Goldwater usually work with self-adhesive vinyl ‘wraps’, which transform cars and vans into mobile advertisements, and last for up to 10 years.

But the same technique can be used to personalise a car or change its colour completely. Sean told us. “Technically, we could take the reindeer image from this paper, transfer it on to our vinyl wrap and give the Santa Fe a more permanent Christmas makeover.”

As Sean has been perfecting the art of car wrapping for 17 years, this challenge was right up his street. All the same, the two-man job took two-and-a-half hours to complete. They used 54 metres of giftwrap and a couple of large rolls of sticky tape to finish the task! Clearly it’s not something to be tackled at home – particularly if the weather takes a turn for the worse and ruins your efforts.

Fortunately, Sean and Gary had the luxury and space of the Hyundai showroom to carry out the transformation. So how did they do it? Sean joked: “I’ve bought my local shop out of wrapping paper! There are about 20 rolls here, and as many again in the boot of my car.” The team tackled the rear first, stretching two huge strips of paper across the tailgate. These were carefully tucked in beneath the bumper, and taped into place. The pair then moved around the SUV using the same technique, being careful to keep creases to a minimum. Tricky little features such as the 17-inch wheels and the door mirrors were tackled separately.

For the alloys, the team cut discs of paper to cover the rims, leaving the rubber bare, and the mirrors were wrapped as if they were small parcels. When complete, the only clues to the car’s true identity were its badge and number plate, which were left visible. This seamless finish would cost buyers between £400 and £500 if they had to pay for it themselves. But Hyundai London dealer principal Nick Martin told us: “We’d throw this special service in for free, if a customer came in and wanted a model delivered in time for Christmas.”

Nick says he’s no stranger to bespoke delivery requests, either. “We’ve filled cars with balloons or had them dropped off at customers’ homes with giant bows wrapped around them. It’s a fantastic way to hand over the keys!”

So if you’re thinking about making someone’s day, it’s worth asking your local dealer if they can package your new car in something novel. And it’s not only gleaming new motors that are getting a festive facelift, either.

Used car supermarket group Carcraft says the number of vehicles bought as gifts shoots up at this time of year. And to make this Christmas very special, it’s promised to supply any of its forecourt models with a giant red bow wrapped around the middle – plus a free bottle of champagne.

All buyers need to do is log on to www.carcraft.co.uk to find out where their nearest participating forecourt is.
via autoexpress
Old 12-20-07, 07:11 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Alrighty then
Old 12-20-07, 08:32 AM
SCRUFFDOGG
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2 guys took 2-1/2 hours to do that, seems like a long time to me but i've never gift wrapped a car, and who would want to, just give me the big Lexus bow
Old 12-20-07, 08:43 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

errr... ok.... give me the red bow please
Old 12-20-07, 08:49 AM
Coconut
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 57 Posts

Not exactly the most desirable car to wrap, actually I don't think anyone dreams of owning one...

The could have had the same affect with the big red Lexus bow, not really....
Old 12-20-07, 08:54 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Where's the curling ribbon?
Old 12-20-07, 09:34 AM
calichris
Lead Lap

i would replace the Hyundai emblem with a Lexus, just to see the look on there face when they unwrap it
Old 12-20-07, 10:19 AM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
errr... ok.... give me the red bow please
second that
Old 12-20-07, 10:31 AM
D.Jobin
Lexus Test Driver

I hope it comes with a gift receipt...
Old 12-20-07, 10:50 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow look at all that paper wasted, wheres the tree hugging hippies when you need them eh?
Old 12-20-07, 11:05 AM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not really a surprise if the H is showing....
Old 12-20-07, 12:44 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

That's awesome, except for the fact it's a Hyundai underneath.
Old 12-20-07, 02:13 PM
kRonX
Lead Lap

They even wrapped up the wheels. Haha. I would sell it take the money to vegas, let it ride on black 3 times and buy a Lexus.
Old 12-20-07, 07:05 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Just tuck the big red bow across the hood and let the streamers run down the front for me. Needs to be attatched to a new LEXUS,, not a Hyundai. Use the KISS rule; Keep It Simple Stupid.
Old 12-20-07, 08:29 PM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Coconut
Not exactly the most desirable car to wrap, actually I don't think anyone dreams of owning one...

The could have had the same affect with the big red Lexus bow, not really....
I really like the Santa Fe. I think its a great vehicle.

There seems to be a lot of Hyundai bashing in this thread. They have improved a great deal over the years and their offering will only get stronger.

Wait and see, its already happening now.

Quick Reply: How to gift-wrap a car . . .