Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Infiniti Q dead...new 4 door coupe flagship might come

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-07, 07:14 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by rg_gibson
Also, besides the fact that the Q45 has sold poorly over its entire history, the main fact is that Infiniti could not sell a car in that price range because of brand image. Just face it, Americans, EUROPEANS and ASIANS are all about brands and their images. Americans aren't the only ones, look at the Japanese and the Europeans. Many here speak about the success of Lexus but if Lexus was that smart then they would own THEIR own local market in Japan. Well they don't. BMW and Mercedes outsells Lexus by a very large percent in Japan and let's not even mention Europe. Europeans laugh at Lexus as we laugh at the fact that Hyundai is going to make a luxury car. Though, Lexus has some wonderful products, their products just are not cutting it over seas. Also, Lexus launched it's flagship LS at 35k in 1990 and the LS gradually became a higher priced car that could compete with the 7 series and the S class.
1. Fixed if you think America is bad about image, don't go to Europe or Japan let alone read any car review. Image counts even MORE in those parts of the world.
2. Lexus just started in Japan just last year, they are not going to be #1 overnight but my guess is in time, they will be.
3. Lexus has been slow in Europe, even with sales up huge, they are still a drop in the bucket. Lexus has ignored pretty much what Europeans want outside the IS. Hybrids are big sellers in Europe and Lexus finally has a diesel, which accounts for huge sales in Europe.
4. Lexus is #1 in some countries in Asia, Russia and some in the middle east.

Old 12-24-07, 09:00 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rg_gibson
Also, Lexus launched it's flagship LS at 35k in 1990 and the LS gradually became a higher priced car that could compete with the 7 series and the S class.
It may not have been priced right near the S and 7 but it sure has hell stole sales from them. Prestige is nice but I would really rather have a car with the most bang for the buck. I'm not wealthy so I'd like to be in a luxury marque but I guess I'm wannabe status.
Hell I'd give up Lexus in a minute if Toyota had RWD/AWD vehicles with some spots of luxury in them but Toyota doesn't so they don't intrigue me. So I'll have to keep dreaming and stay in wannabe status.
Old 12-24-07, 09:08 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

The CLS is not a four door coupe. It is a 4 door sedan that is more stylish with a lower and sleaker hoodline that may look closer to a stylish coupe but it is still a four door sedan even if it looks a little more like a coupe. A coupe if I am not mistaken is strictly a 2 DOOR car. Still I think Infiniti would have more success with a competitor to a CLS/Panamara then a competitor to a Sclass, 7 series, etc. Infiniti are supposed to generally focus more on sport and performance then all out luxury so a sporty CLS type competitor would fit in better with the image then a large soft sprung floaty luxury car, plus people are so loyal to those certain brands for a large luxury sedan that it would be very hard to get them to buy something else. As far as that Avalon looking concept, if it looks like that then it will be unsuccessful, that looks more like a I35 type car then a CLS competitor.

If they make it a little longer then the M45 with a sleek low roofline and eye catching sporty styling and fill the interior with high end features and quality peices with a choice of some 380+ hp engines then I think the car will be a success, hopefully they won't price it too high as they need to build a reputation first in that category to charge higher prices.
Old 12-26-07, 06:53 PM
rg_gibson
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
1. Fixed if you think America is bad about image, don't go to Europe or Japan let alone read any car review. Image counts even MORE in those parts of the world.
2. Lexus just started in Japan just last year, they are not going to be #1 overnight but my guess is in time, they will be.
3. Lexus has been slow in Europe, even with sales up huge, they are still a drop in the bucket. Lexus has ignored pretty much what Europeans want outside the IS. Hybrids are big sellers in Europe and Lexus finally has a diesel, which accounts for huge sales in Europe.
4. Lexus is #1 in some countries in Asia, Russia and some in the middle east.
Yeah I completely agree. Also I find it interesting that where ever Toyota dominates, Lexus dominates. Many Middle Eastern countries and many other Asian countries where Toyota has a high presence it seems to be automatic Lexus does as well.
Old 12-26-07, 07:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
The CLS is not a four door coupe. It is a 4 door sedan that is more stylish with a lower and sleaker hoodline that may look closer to a stylish coupe but it is still a four door sedan even if it looks a little more like a coupe. A coupe if I am not mistaken is strictly a 2 DOOR car.
The CLS, IMO, looks ridiculous. I don't understand the way the auto press drools over the styling. It has a high beltline, tiny, slit, peek-a-boo windows that you can barely see out of, and a roofline that looks like it was run partly through a crusher.

Coupes, in general, ARE two-doors, but some "coupes", like the Mazda RX-8 and Saturn Ion, have small, forward-opening mini-doors behind the two main doors for better access to the rear seat. I've never liked that idea myself, despite its admitted convienience.....the removal of the B-Pillars lessens body rigidity and tends to encourage body flex, creaks, squeaks, rattles, and leaks.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-26-07 at 07:39 PM.
Old 12-26-07, 08:08 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The CLS, IMO, looks ridiculous. I don't understand the way the auto press drools over the styling. It has a high beltline, tiny, slit, peek-a-boo windows that you can barely see out of, and a roofline that looks like it was run partly through a crusher.

Coupes, in general, ARE two-doors, but some "coupes", like the Mazda RX-8 and Saturn Ion, have small, forward-opening mini-doors behind the two main doors for better access to the rear seat. I've never liked that idea myself, despite its admitted convienience.....the removal of the B-Pillars lessens body rigidity and tends to encourage body flex, creaks, squeaks, rattles, and leaks.
I actually love the CLS styling and would buy one on styling alone. Its cramped inside but nothing else looks like it.

I agree 100% its not a damn coupe but a sedan that just is sleek.

Old 12-26-07, 08:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I actually love the CLS styling and would buy one on styling alone. Its cramped inside but nothing else looks like it.

I agree 100% its not a damn coupe but a sedan that just is sleek.
OK.....apparantly one of our rare automotive disagreements. It is different, I'll admit.....perhaps the ultimate representation of the hump-back whale roof.
Old 12-26-07, 10:53 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Personally I don't recognize 4-Door Coupes.
The CLS is near-worthy of the "four-door coupe" tag. It's still the E-Class sedan in disguise.

However, the Panamera and the Rapide will definately be worthy of claiming such a title.

They both are truly coupes, with four doors...

Old 12-27-07, 11:25 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
OK.....apparantly one of our rare automotive disagreements. It is different, I'll admit.....perhaps the ultimate representation of the hump-back whale roof.
What's wrong with that look ?
I like it from a style standpoint, but it's like a coupe at the back with poor headroom & inconvenient entry with the rear doors.
Old 12-27-07, 11:54 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Robarapta
What's wrong with that look ?
IMO, it sacrifices too much headroom, entry/exit room, outward visibility, and trunk space just for the sake of having an orca-whale roofline. If you like that kind of stuff, fine. I dont. Medium-to-large sedans like this are supposed to be designed to carry normal adults and luggage......not munchkins.