Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

After Chase, Florida Sheriff Suspends 13 Officers

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-07, 11:48 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

Maybe this sheriff can move over to another county and fire a certain female cop that thinks she can taze inocent people for daring to talk back to her.

Good job on this sheriff, I like him already.
Old 12-23-07, 01:16 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Indio
If you pay attention to how many innocent people are killed each year by police chases you might think different, a traffic violation or stolen car is not worth putting the public at risk...
It's never so simple. Not only does abandoning high-speed pursuits encourage criminals to flee - already putting the public at risk - but lax enforcement of law also encourages crime in the first place, further putting the public at risk. There's always a balancing act here, implicitly.
Old 12-23-07, 01:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
It's never so simple. Not only does abandoning high-speed pursuits encourage criminals to flee - already putting the public at risk - but lax enforcement of law also encourages crime in the first place, further putting the public at risk. There's always a balancing act here, implicitly.
Gengar has a good point. Doing away with high-speed chases may cause more harm than the chases themselves. Sometimes you simply have to choose the lesser of two evils.....as ALL thirteen of the officers agreed.
Old 12-23-07, 01:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
Maybe this sheriff can move over to another county and fire a certain female cop that thinks she can taze inocent people for daring to talk back to her.

Good job on this sheriff, I like him already.
Fire her? If he messes with her, he may find his own a** on the ground. Tasers mean buisness.
Old 12-23-07, 02:18 PM
Indio
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never said it was simple, but in this case the cops knew who they were chasing so they could arrest him later, similar case happened here recently to people I knew, suspect had been identified but they chased him anyway, he t-boned an suv killing two innocent people, if it happens to someone you know I bet your viewpoint will change.
Old 12-30-07, 06:18 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never said it was simple, but in this case the cops knew who they were chasing so they could arrest him later, similar case happened here recently to people I knew, suspect had been identified but they chased him anyway, he t-boned an suv killing two innocent people, if it happens to someone you know I bet your viewpoint will change.
And who says they (the dolts running) wouldn't have done the same thing IF they were or were not being chased?

As pointed out, your argument doesn't work in the long run. Set a policy of not chasing criminals and its like setting a policy of negotiating with terrorists, it just doesn't work.
Old 12-30-07, 06:24 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

I just want to point out that there must be a reason for lax enforcement.

We are a nation of people, not a nation of laws. A nanny-state is something NO ONE wants or needs.

Besides, zero tolerance is stupid. There are situations where there is no right answer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahabharata
Old 12-30-07, 10:21 PM
vollandt
Driver

Originally Posted by doug_999
And who says they (the dolts running) wouldn't have done the same thing IF they were or were not being chased?

As pointed out, your argument doesn't work in the long run. Set a policy of not chasing criminals and its like setting a policy of negotiating with terrorists, it just doesn't work.
I understood the policy as “only chase when justified, as in violent crime involved.” So it’s worth risking civilians lives by chasing a murder suspect. The thought being that if you don’t catch him now, he may do more murders. Sounds reasonable to me.

But to risk lives only to catch a car thief? In case he steals more cars?
Old 12-31-07, 01:59 AM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

Well, I know common sense suggests that 13 cops did it, so they must've been right. However, you also have to look at the law enforcement culture. Not providing backup to a fellow officer when asked is a huge violation of trust in a subculture where it is all but essential to be able to trust your colleagues to be there for you when you need them. The consequences of refusing to provide backup can be worse (by worse, I'm not talking about "official" disciplinary actions) than the 1 day suspensions some of them recieved. Perhaps the bulk of the blame should lay on the Sergeant that was supervising.

Plus, hot pursuit is one thing. But considering the amount of wrecks in this one chase, I would almost have to assume some of them were driving rather wreckless.
Old 12-31-07, 02:26 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You may be right that if it actually happened to somene I know I may change my viewpoint, but I've always viewed it as the guy who was running from the cops and T-Boned the innocent driver to be the one at fault and then should also be charged with vehicular manslaughter.
Old 12-31-07, 02:51 AM
Indio
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
You may be right that if it actually happened to somene I know I may change my viewpoint, but I've always viewed it as the guy who was running from the cops and T-Boned the innocent driver to be the one at fault and then should also be charged with vehicular manslaughter.

We can argue this both ways as there is no one answer that applies to all situations, so you have to use judgement along with the right to pursue and not get caught in an adrenaline rush, you can add all the additional charges you want but it won't bring back the innocent dead.
Old 12-31-07, 03:05 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

We can argue this both ways as there is no one answer that applies to all situations, so you have to use judgement along with the right to pursue and not get caught in an adrenaline rush, you can add all the additional charges you want but it won't bring back the innocent dead.

This is true. It wont bring back the dead. That is why I always side with law enforcement as long as they are within the law. I never side with the criminal because I always believe if the criminal didn't run, the police would never have to chace, and the accident would never happen. It will only get worst since ciminals are driving more aggressively in high speed pursuits because they know and hope the Police will stop the pursuit. Fleeing from the police in many cases today pays off.

In the case of this topic I don't agree with this Dukes of Hazard high speed chace and as soon as the cops found themselves starting to loose control of their own cars they should have called it of. But I don't agree with abandoning high speed car chaces in general. Where the line for that judement call is I don't know. The only way I see the problem being reduced is if you make feeing from the police a really heavy penalty if caught. I mean a long jail sentance that most people will think is over kill. You need to make the criminal think twice about running when if caught, his jail time for fleeing would be worst than what he is running for in the first place.
Old 12-31-07, 03:34 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

I agree with this as I have previously stated in this thread that since the suspect was identified, there was less reason to pursue. I was responding to your suggestion, which I quoted, that crime in general does not warrant pursuit.