Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Question About Factory Tint

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-07, 05:47 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question About Factory Tint

On the way home tonight stuck in some traffic I thought to myself, why do the factory tint seems to be on the rear side windows of only SUV's and minivans? I've yet to see any factory tint on cars. I know that Mercedes Benz has that light blue looking tint on some of their models but I'm talking about black tint though. Anyone have a reason or ideas as to why this is the case?
Old 12-22-07, 07:08 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I assume you mean all the rear windows? Only the 1999-2000 CR-V Limited had factory tints on the side windows only (which meant the rear window was "clear").

No idea. It's probably a stylistic thing (as well as they're larger vehicles so they can get pretty hot with all that glass).

Up here in Canada, Honda gave us a Civic Street Edition with factory tint. It was available for a year or two (I believe it was 2004-2005).
Old 12-22-07, 08:08 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it is mostly to conform to all states laws. Places like California it is illegal to have tint on the front drivers and passenger's windows. In my state, 35% all around is okay, but vans and trucks can have the rear and side windows blacked out as long as they have two outside mirrors since not all vans and trucks have have side and rear windows anyway. I'm not sure what category SUVs fall under. I assume truck since that is what they used to be based on, but now days it could be car as well.

I believe the light blue glass on Mercedes is not considered tint but treated as clear glass so it is legal all around, but not sure on that.
Old 12-22-07, 09:51 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've always wondered why cars did not come with an option for the 2 rear doors and back window to be tinted, and the Mercedes tint can be ordered, it's just 50% MB blue tint, some guy on 300c forum took his black tint off for the blue.

I also would like to know how they tint the glass at the factory, is it just another layer of film sandwiched between the layers of glass
Old 12-22-07, 10:24 PM
darksparkz
Lead Lap

I believe factory tint is just the same as tint you get yourself. It is a film and I have seen people remove it to upgrade to a higher tint.

Typically, higher models of a certain car does have tint on the rear windows. For example, the Toyota Sienna, the CE verison does not contain tint at all, while all the higher ones, LE and XLE has tinted rear and side windows.
Old 12-22-07, 10:53 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by darksparkz
I believe factory tint is just the same as tint you get yourself. It is a film and I have seen people remove it to upgrade to a higher tint.

Typically, higher models of a certain car does have tint on the rear windows. For example, the Toyota Sienna, the CE verison does not contain tint at all, while all the higher ones, LE and XLE has tinted rear and side windows.
I believe most are embedded in the glass. Probably a dye. On my RX330 it was factory tinted but not a film.
Old 12-23-07, 07:18 AM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Nextourer
I assume you mean all the rear windows? Only the 1999-2000 CR-V Limited had factory tints on the side windows only (which meant the rear window was "clear").

No idea. It's probably a stylistic thing (as well as they're larger vehicles so they can get pretty hot with all that glass).

Up here in Canada, Honda gave us a Civic Street Edition with factory tint. It was available for a year or two (I believe it was 2004-2005).
Yeah Nex, I mean the rear passenger side and then the rear window. One thing that came to mind just now was maybe the tint on SUV's and trucks are for protection from thieves. What I mean is since those vehicles don't have trunks, shopping bags and other stuff is clearly visible if you don't have tinted windows there. There are SUV's with that the sliding shade thingie in the back which shields your goods too. That's the only reason that comes to mind.
Old 12-23-07, 09:10 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

That roller shade is invaluable, even with dark tints. Even with limo tints on my Suburbans I used to carry a large fake-fur black carpet I would throw over valuables in the cargo area. Between the dark tint, the deep black and broken contours created by the "bearskin", I never experienced a break-in - even though I carried some pretty expensive equipment back there.

If you don't have a roller shade in your SUV, pick up a big piece of this cheap fake fur at a van shop or from J.C. Whitney. It doesn't look bad when rolled up, but just don't let it get wet . . . it will smell like a real bear . . . a dead one!
Old 12-23-07, 10:26 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MrG4Life
Yeah Nex, I mean the rear passenger side and then the rear window. One thing that came to mind just now was maybe the tint on SUV's and trucks are for protection from thieves. What I mean is since those vehicles don't have trunks, shopping bags and other stuff is clearly visible if you don't have tinted windows there. There are SUV's with that the sliding shade thingie in the back which shields your goods too. That's the only reason that comes to mind.
Yeah but then you have to think about station wagons like the V70 which don't have tint.

SUVs have a tonneau cover but I don't think minivans do. The Previa came with those brown tinted windows... I think the Blazer had tints back in the mid 90s? (I'm just trying to think who started this tinting business)
Old 12-23-07, 08:04 PM
pfantom68
Lead Lap

I agree with the legal aspect of that.

However, I've seen lots of newer sedans around here that do have tint. It's actually put on by local tinters contracted by the dealerships. My friend's made thousands doing tint for a local Volvo dealer.
Old 12-23-07, 08:32 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
I think it is mostly to conform to all states laws.
I'm pretty sure this is what it is too.
Old 12-23-07, 10:29 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I had optional factory tints on my '82 K20 Suburban that darkened everything aft of the front doors. It was so dark the first week I had it my Dad backed it into a live oak tree one night and smashed the tailgate and rear window. Replacement cost of the rear glass alone was $1000 - in 1982!

That glass was dark enouth (in the days long before backup cameras), at night you had to roll down the rear glass in order to see what was behind you.
Old 12-24-07, 09:43 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by MrG4Life
On the way home tonight stuck in some traffic I thought to myself, why do the factory tint seems to be on the rear side windows of only SUV's and minivans? I've yet to see any factory tint on cars. I know that Mercedes Benz has that light blue looking tint on some of their models but I'm talking about black tint though. Anyone have a reason or ideas as to why this is the case?
Seems like everything strayed (talking about the legality) from your original question as to why CARS don't come with factory tints while minivans and suvs do.
Good question
Old 12-24-07, 11:41 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil4X
I had optional factory tints on my '82 K20 Suburban that darkened everything aft of the front doors. It was so dark the first week I had it my Dad backed it into a live oak tree one night and smashed the tailgate and rear window. Replacement cost of the rear glass alone was $1000 - in 1982!

That glass was dark enouth (in the days long before backup cameras), at night you had to roll down the rear glass in order to see what was behind you.
Tint has always been a problem for night vision. That's why I advise against it for people who have weak eyes or drive a lot at night.
Old 12-24-07, 12:47 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

I also think it has to do with lack of an actual trunk, in the brochures it is usually listed as privacy glass