Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

*pics* my friend's Porsche 911 in the snow

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-07, 01:54 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *pics* my friend's Porsche 911 in the snow

this morning he came over to show me the 2004 911 he just bought
but the weather was not cooperating and it was snowing up on a local mountain where we wanted to take some photos of the car at
(he has a pic of his 356 taken on that mountain back in 70's, so i wanted to get one to match that)

we were crazy to go up the mountain with his 911 Carrera that still has summer tires on
lol

when i got into the cockpit, i could definitely feel the history and lineage behind the 911's
it really is a driver's car and i think i am inspired to get one in the future too

what a good way to start the morning though
Old 12-22-07, 05:11 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

good looking car, third pic is not working.
Old 12-22-07, 06:44 PM
pfantom68
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haha, looks like fun. My computer programming teacher has an 2002 911 in the same color.
Old 12-22-07, 07:05 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lucky bum!
Old 12-22-07, 11:29 PM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

SUMMER tires on a rwd 911... while its snowing and driving up a mountain!

thats brave.
Old 12-23-07, 01:49 AM
leedogg
Lead Lap

Let us know when he loses control and hits something. Buying that car in the winter with those conditions prevalent seems mildy retarded to me... like buying a new set of skiis in late spring for some spring skiing over rock & mud patches.
Old 12-23-07, 02:36 AM
RI-Lex
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

is that a S4? I would never have that out in the snow
Old 12-23-07, 03:22 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow look at all that white stuff... we dont have that in hawaii
Old 12-23-07, 12:05 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

it wasnt that bad
it was more like slush on the roads than actual compacted or lose snow
Old 12-23-07, 02:49 PM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by UberNoob
it wasnt that bad
it was more like slush on the roads than actual compacted or lose snow
The people who say you're crazy or stupid have obviously never driven a 911 or anything similar in the snow.

Over at the Corvette forum people act like your car will explode instantly if you even turn it on in the snow, when in reality it's pretty simple to drive a high powered RWD car (I'm sure the 911s rear weight bias helps too) in light to moderate snow, even with summer tires on (although winter tires are recommended)
Old 12-23-07, 02:58 PM
leedogg
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by thetopdog
The people who say you're crazy or stupid have obviously never driven a 911 or anything similar in the snow.

Over at the Corvette forum people act like your car will explode instantly if you even turn it on in the snow, when in reality it's pretty simple to drive a high powered RWD car (I'm sure the 911s rear weight bias helps too) in light to moderate snow, even with summer tires on (although winter tires are recommended)
a) Why buy a toy car when you cant fully enjoy the toy car?
b) why buy a toy car when the chances of damaging the toy car are greatest? (by you or somebody else plowing into you)
c) The worst case scenario IS a high powered rwd sports car with summer tires in the snow.
Old 12-23-07, 03:38 PM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by leedogg
b) why buy a toy car when the chances of damaging the toy car are greatest? (by you or somebody else plowing into you)
c) The worst case scenario IS a high powered rwd sports car with summer tires in the snow.
a) A 911 isn't a 'toy' (although it can be used as one) it's a regular car just like a Camry or Accord. I can pretty much do anything any other car can do, it's not like we're talking about a Carrera GT here

b) There are plenty of idiots on the road regardless of the weather. If I was worried about what other people are doing, I would never take my car out. Let their insurance handle it if they do something stupid. If you can get a great deal on a great car, why not buy it now? This is a used car, if he got a good deal on it, who's to say he would be able to find the same deal in the spring?

c) RWD is not that difficult to handle in the snow if you know how to drive. It requires you to pay more attention, but I wouldn't say it's any more dangerous than FWD if you're careful. High power is meaningless because you have a throttle (and hopefully a clutch and stick) that allows you to control how much power gets to the wheels. I agree with you on the summer tires thing though, but it's still not impossible to drive in light snow with summer tires if you're careful
Old 12-23-07, 06:21 PM
audi2nr
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by thetopdog
a) A 911 isn't a 'toy' (although it can be used as one) it's a regular car just like a Camry or Accord. I can pretty much do anything any other car can do, it's not like we're talking about a Carrera GT here

b) There are plenty of idiots on the road regardless of the weather. If I was worried about what other people are doing, I would never take my car out. Let their insurance handle it if they do something stupid. If you can get a great deal on a great car, why not buy it now? This is a used car, if he got a good deal on it, who's to say he would be able to find the same deal in the spring?

c) RWD is not that difficult to handle in the snow if you know how to drive. It requires you to pay more attention, but I wouldn't say it's any more dangerous than FWD if you're careful. High power is meaningless because you have a throttle (and hopefully a clutch and stick) that allows you to control how much power gets to the wheels. I agree with you on the summer tires thing though, but it's still not impossible to drive in light snow with summer tires if you're careful
agreed! i took my turbo sc out when it snowed here in seattle, people called me crazy, but personally i love driving in the snow. i lived in alaska for 10 years and i know how handle a car care carefully in the snow. i also know when its ok to have a little fun and when to be careful. yay for snow!
Old 12-23-07, 06:26 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yea i drive my 350 with summer tires on too ALL THE TIME
Old 12-23-07, 06:36 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by leedogg
Keep in mind I'm not saying to drive the car in these situations with summer tires in the snow, but I think winter is the perfect time to buy these types of high performance specialty cars specifically because of the reason why you said not to. These types of cars always sell slowly during the winter months and sales pick up during the spring and summer. You have a really good chance at finding great deals on these types of cars during the winter months. I notice often sports car prices go up quite a few thousand (Private party) during the spring and summer compared to the winter.

There is a guy on NSX Prime that slaps on snow tires and drives his NSX during the snow every winter. He does have more than one of NSX and uses them all as his daily drivers all year.

Quick Reply: *pics* my friend's Porsche 911 in the snow