Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Washington, DC Auto Show.

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-07, 05:57 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Washington, DC Auto Show.

http://www.washingtonautoshow.org/

For you CL guys here in the DC Area (Iceman, Cherplex, etc....) or you guys who won't make the Detroit Show, here is the info on the upcoming D.C. Show January 23-27. I myself will be there, as usual....for several days. I usually get free passes, but in limited numbers.

The show, of course, is not as big as Detroit's, but is no longer a Class B show......it is now a borderline Class A Show. In fact, GM Vice-President Mark La Neive will open the show.

For those who want to attend, stop by any local auto dealership after about Jan. 15 or so (when the tickets come in) and ask....you might be able to get some free passes for yourself, or at least discount ones. If you have bought a car at the dealership, they will probably be glad to give you some free passes. Even if not, they often give them out anyway, because, obviously, they want people to attend.

I'm particularly anxious to see the BMW 1-series, the Smart for Two, the Lexus IS-F, and the Chinese Chery cars (if the Chery exibits materialize). Even if I can't test-drive them at the show, of course.......I'm planning future reviews on all four, though I suspect the Smart will be too small for many American driving conditions.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-24-07 at 06:01 AM.
Old 12-24-07, 06:06 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

I will be there drooling on the GT-R lol..........
Old 12-24-07, 06:33 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I also plan on attending, schedule permitting. Marshall, I ranacross an old post of yours where you threw your pics online. When I saw them, I was like "I know this guy,, Have seen him before,,, In fact I think we even had a small convo regarding the 3GS." LOL!!! Maybe I will run into you again, and this time I know who I am looking for. See ya there.
Old 12-24-07, 07:26 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

I'll try to attend also. I'll check out trying to get some free tickets. Thanks.
Old 12-24-07, 08:39 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll be there too!
Old 12-24-07, 09:27 AM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As usual, I'll be out of town for work those days...

I'll have to live vicariously through your photos and narrative, mmarshall!
Old 12-24-07, 10:29 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by cherplex
I will be there drooling on the GT-R lol..........
Thanks, Cherplex. I forgot about the GT-R maybe showing up there. That's definitely one of the things I want to see.
Old 12-24-07, 10:31 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Iceman

I'll have to live vicariously through your photos and narrative, mmarshall!
There won't be much, though, if anything, at the DC show that wasn't already shown off at Detroit. I started this thread mostly for the people not going to Detroit.
Old 12-24-07, 10:34 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by trukn1
I also plan on attending, schedule permitting. Marshall, I ranacross an old post of yours where you threw your pics online. When I saw them, I was like "I know this guy,, Have seen him before,,, In fact I think we even had a small convo regarding the 3GS." LOL!!! Maybe I will run into you again, and this time I know who I am looking for. See ya there.
Thanks, but this time I won't be such a big, bloated target...I'm down almost 40 Lbs.
I may have Pam with me, too, for at least one day there........a good friend of mine. She will be looking at a potential new car purchase.
Old 12-24-07, 11:04 PM
LexFather

GT-R ftw!!!

Old 12-25-07, 04:24 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

A few weeks after I leave DC (2 Jan).
Old 12-25-07, 06:02 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mmarshall, could you give us a first mini mini impression/preview on the GTR???
Quailty and etc.?
Old 12-26-07, 06:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by blacksc400
mmarshall, could you give us a first mini mini impression/preview on the GTR???
Quailty and etc.?
Yes, I will, if it's there (and it should be), but it will almost certainly be at Detroit first, and there probably will be a lot or pictures and stories on it from the Detroit Show already posted.

My computer skills are also very low in doing things like posting pictures.
Old 12-26-07, 07:37 AM
Tekknikal
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just curious- how many unveilings does DC normally see/yr?
Old 12-26-07, 10:37 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tekknikal
just curious- how many unveilings does DC normally see/yr?
Most of the new unveilings, of course, take place at the huge Detroit Show, which runs in the middle of January. In the past, the DC show was the last major auto show of the season....usually Dec. 26 through the first couple days of January. So that, and the fact that the show was somewhat neglected by the auto manufacturers (it was considered a lower-category Class B Show), meant few or no truly new offerings.....most of them had already been introduced much earlier at the previous Detroit, L.A., Frankfurt, Paris, or Tokyo shows. Mercedes, however, some years ago, DID pick the DC Show to introduce the 300 TD diesel wagon, which was rather unusual.

But those second-rate days for the DC show are gone now. The DC Show is now the first major show after Detroit.....it starts in late January, just as the Detroit Show is over....so many of the displays shown of at Detroit are immediately brought down to DC to be re-exibited here. Formerly, during Christmas-New Year's, many people in this area are off on vacation, but now that the show is in late January, more people are able to attend it.....including members of Congress. Formerly, Congress was off on vacation, too, during the holidays. That was one reason for the new late January schedule.....the show producers wanted Congress there.

However, even with the new schedule, we still get few truly new introductions, due to the fact that the Detroit Show is still THE biggest show of all, and most of the new intros are still there (some are a little earlier at the L.A. Show). The difference NOW is that we don't have to wait so long to see them.....many of them, but not all, come here right after the Detroit Show. But the Detroit Show is still top dog....and because it is still so much larger than the DC show, we still don't see everything they do.....there isn't enough floor space here rented out. But the DC show here is no longer a disappointment like it was for so long.....the manufacturers now pay a lot more attention to it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-26-07 at 10:45 AM.

Quick Reply: Washington, DC Auto Show.