Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Honda's CEO: "Civic Hybrid was a mistake, real hybrid war has just begun"

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-07, 07:30 PM
LexFather

Exclamation Honda's CEO: "Civic Hybrid was a mistake, real hybrid war has just begun"

Honda’s CEO: Hybrid war has just begun, Civic Hybrid was a mistake

We’ve been hearing a lot about Honda’s upcoming hybrid-only model that is supposed to go head-to-head with the Toyota Prius. Honda CEO, Takeo Fukui, is now out and about speaking very confidently of Honda’s upcoming hybrid plans. First of all, Fukui feels that Honda suffered a huge misstep by rolling out a hybrid version of its Civic instead of a hybrid-only model.

“The real competition has just begun,” Fukui said. “Until now, it has been an image-based competition, not a business-based competition.”

Fukui said that Honda will approach the hybrid-war by attacking the pricing. The hybrid-only model that is expected to hit the market in early 2009 where pricing is expected to be below the Honda Civic Hybrid and right above the Honda Fit. The Civic Hybrid starts at $23,235, including shipping.

Honda hopes to sell 200,000 units annually for its global hybrid, 100,000 of which are expected to come from North American sales.

After the unnamed hybrid-only model hits the market, Honda is also planning the global release of a hybrid sports car based on the CR-Z concept.

Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)

Old 12-24-07, 09:52 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It is pretty clear too me that I'm definitely NOT a hybrid buyer. I mean, I like hybrid technology, but I'm one of those that don't want to advertise my hybrid and wanted to see more normal looking hybrid cars based on traditional cars. I guess not even the big wigs in the industry see it that way. I for one don't want people seeing my car and instantly recognizing it as a hybrid. I want most people to just over look it as if it were the regular car.

The only thing I like about this report so far is the projected price. I've aways said I'm waiting and hoping for the hybrid prices to come down so that is good news. Also, hopefully even though this will be a dedicated hybrid only car, it doesn't look weired and odd.
Old 12-24-07, 10:05 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If only the Civic Hybrid didn't take 12 seconds to do 0-60...
Old 12-24-07, 10:44 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mistake? Interesting.

The current HCH-II is close to the Prius on mileage and in Canada, is quite cheap (Cdn$26k and in some provinces, there's no tax on it because the provincial rebates cover it completely and the federal gov't rebates aka GST rebate covers it so you pay $26k plus freight/PDI).

If you compare the actual money you plunk down, it's equivalent to a Civic LX or Corolla CE Pkg "C" (see previous brackets for price explanation). That's not bad.

But yeah it's a 1.3 litre and it's slower than the Prius. I don't fancy the wheels either but right now if anyone's looking at a hybrid and say it's too expensive, I just point them to the HCH-II and tell them that it cost the same as a regular midrange (i.e. Civic LX, Corolla CE Pkg "B") compact car.
Old 12-25-07, 07:41 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think the Civic was a "mistake". However, Honda does need Hybrid only model(s). Toyota has proven that this is what the market wants the most. Prius is now one of the best selling cars in America but it wouldn't be if it were based off another standard car.

It also seems that an automaker can produce the best hybrid if it is designed from the ground up as a hybrid only, like the Prius.
Old 12-25-07, 09:31 AM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Wasn't the Insight a hybrid-only model that also failed miserably against the Prius?
Old 12-25-07, 09:09 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Iceman
Wasn't the Insight a hybrid-only model that also failed miserably against the Prius?
Because it's a two door, two seater car. That type of car will never sell that well. The Prius is the first full hybrid mid-size class sedan . Finally, a totally practical car. Hence, the success.
Old 12-25-07, 09:29 PM
Rollin'ES3
Lexus Test Driver

I think the new all hybrid Honda needs to be VERY appealing to beat the hybrid king Prius.

The price sounds good as of now, but lets wait and see...
Old 12-25-07, 10:46 PM
LexFather

I am truly 100% confident when Honda really puts its sights on hybrids, they will be class beaters. Honda does fuel efficient and compact cars better than most.

Old 12-25-07, 11:23 PM
F1Driver
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I am truly 100% confident when Honda really puts its sights on hybrids, they will be class beaters. Honda does fuel efficient and compact cars better than most.
But the problem is, Honda has never ever done a full hybrid. Their hybrids so far have been mild hybrids. Even if Honda decides to release a full hybrid, they're at least three generations behind Toyota.
Old 12-26-07, 12:26 AM
leedogg
Lead Lap

people buy hybrids for the image and for the statement they convey - hey i'm environmentally conscious!

by hybrid only models - they are referring to a line of cars which only contain hybrids....
Old 12-26-07, 08:31 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by F1Driver
But the problem is, Honda has never ever done a full hybrid. Their hybrids so far have been mild hybrids. Even if Honda decides to release a full hybrid, they're at least three generations behind Toyota.
What constitute as a 'full' and 'mild' hybrid? Was the insight not a 'full' hybrid?
Old 12-26-07, 09:11 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Lightbulb Full Hybrid

I think what is meant by full hybrid is a vehicle that can run on the engine alone or electricity alone.

I do not think that the Civic was a mistake as its sales are OK, I still see the 1st generation out there. Its #s are comparable to other hybrids that have regular engine versions as well (GS, Camry, Highlander, Escape ...) The Accord Hybrid V6 on the other hand ...

It is interesting that Honda is making such a push on hybrids when they also have fuel cells & diesels on the way. They definitely are going all out ...
Old 12-26-07, 09:40 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

It was the honda accord hybrid that was a mistake....that was why they killed it didn't they?

Didn't think the civic hybrid was that bad against the prius
Old 12-26-07, 10:03 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
It was the honda accord hybrid that was a mistake....that was why they killed it didn't they?

Didn't think the civic hybrid was that bad against the prius
Didn't think so to but apparently it is. The thing that's hurting it (I think) is the fact that when they redesigned the Civic, they still didn't put folding rear seats in the HCH. The Camry Hybrid has folding seats, albeit smaller than usual but still good enough for skis/snowboards.

Otherwise, I think the HCH-II is pretty good for what it is.

Originally Posted by GSteg
What constitute as a 'full' and 'mild' hybrid? Was the insight not a 'full' hybrid?
The Insight is a mild (or assist) hybrid. A mild hybrid is one where the hybrid system assists the ICE in propulsion. This still allows for a smaller engine to be used (hence more fuel efficient) and the biggest bonus is its "simplicity", to put it mildly. That's why Honda can sell the HCH for less than the Prius (at least in Canada).

Full hybrids are much more complex and therefore more expensive to build (and hence to purchase). They can run on electricity only, engine only or a combination of both.

Mild hybrid systems: Honda's IMA, GM's BAS
Full hybrid systems: Toyota's HSD, GM's Two-Mode, Ford's hybrid system (don't think they have a name for it).

Originally Posted by F1Driver
Yeah but building a mild hybrid means a lower cost for the consumer so it's a good way to get more people into the hybrid fray. Plus a mild hybrid is more similar to a regular car than a full hybrid. It has a regular transmission for one thing.

Quick Reply: Honda's CEO: "Civic Hybrid was a mistake, real hybrid war has just begun"