Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Fortune: RIP for the SUV

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-07, 07:43 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

Old 12-25-07, 09:49 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe C
I just wrote up a whole thing on this topic, then I realized this is what I'm typing:

"Blah Blah Blah, I'm just like every other jackass on the internet who thinks that it's important to voice my opinion and I'm going to make an impact - also, I think this will change people's prospectives on the subject."

It wouldn't have, so I deleted it.

Maybe you should have just said it.

Who knows; maybe your opinion could have enlightened others. Honestly, we don't mind, just as long as it's a valid opinion rather than an insinuating one...
Old 12-25-07, 09:50 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
Theoretically, the RX is a crossover...
Old 12-25-07, 10:06 PM
Joe C
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Maybe you should have just said it.

Who knows; maybe your opinion could have enlightened others. Honestly, we don't mind, just as long as it's a valid opinion rather than an insinuating one...
Alright... here we go.

I just find it funny when people completely chastise SUV owners, and the proceed to make crass comments that are not backed up by facts. Unless we all purchase a car solely based upon MPG, it is not our main concern. We would all prefer to have comforts as opposed to an MPG here or there. I don't believe that SUV's are the sole contributor to that idea either. The excess which we have come to enjoy (who doesn't love their heated/ac seats) meerly exemplifies the fact that bigger and more is better. And the justification that performance vehicles are "lighter" is ridiculous and makes no sense. Curb weight on an Aston Martin is nearly 3,800lbs.Jaguar XJR is 3900, while the explorer is around 4400. Whether you are driving an S550/500, 540i, or any other vehicle similar to it, the gas mileage is not stunning at all. Many of the newer SUV's come with better gearing and more efficient setups to allow for highway mileage to be much better. Also, I believe that people are now realizing that they might be better off purchasing a vehicle that they need. Many love the navigator/suburban/escalade because of its status and size, but that will never change, at least not in the US.

Unless we all vow to drive SULEV/Hybrids and such, then none of us are in a position to blame SUV's as the end all in the destruction. We can complain about them, but I find it funny if someone with a 4.3L V8 is saying goodbye to the mountaineer because its so bad (which has a very nice 4.0L, my mother owns one), and yet our ML500 gets nearly the same MPG as my GS300.

It's a neverending talking in circles battle, and it makes me laugh when people point directly at someone.

I say blame rock and roll.

Last edited by Joe C; 12-25-07 at 10:11 PM.
Old 12-25-07, 10:54 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

^^^You see, it was good you said it, because I do agree with you.

SUVs are not "the enemy." There are far more wasterful and frivolous things out on the road. SUVs are quite functional and safe, but there are other reasons why some say "RIP to the SUV."

The Navigator/Suburban/Escalade status symbol is fading quickly. One: because the fad has passed. And Two: the economy sucks right now. And like I have said in earlier posts, people are moving away from SUVs into crossovers. People can make status symbol statements in other ways, such as getting a hybrid (if they really do care about gas efficiency) or modifying their vehicles.

And you make a valid point about the weight of cars. The LS600hL, for example, is a 4700 lbs behemoth with a V8 engine. Although it is "better" compared to its competitors when it comes to gas efficiency, it's still a hog. And let's not even talk about flagship sedans; smaller sedans are getting porky too (such as the 3900-lb CTS, or 3300-lb VW GTI).

Finally, I would also have to blame Rock and Roll. Damn the Jonas Brothers...
Old 12-25-07, 11:09 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

One thing thou, 'many of the newer suv's...'. Sorry but the majority of ppl cant afford newer suvs. The average american cant afford a newer hybrid suv.... sorry i dont get that 'point'.

Last edited by llamaboiz; 12-25-07 at 11:17 PM.
Old 12-25-07, 11:22 PM
Joe C
Lexus Test Driver

I was describing how they are more efficient and do get better gas mileage.

Of course a majority of people can't afford new SUV's. A lot of people can't afford the massive houses that they purchased 8 years ago either.

(Just to stir up some comments)
Our "practical" car only gets 6-10mpg going downhill in neutral;

Last edited by Joe C; 12-25-07 at 11:28 PM.
Old 12-26-07, 05:55 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hehe... I was a staunch anti-SUV person. But I must say I am totally in love with my new FJ Cruiser. Gets about the same average mpg as my 93 SC300 (17mpg...) and much more practical. *so this is what a trunk should be able to hold*
Old 12-26-07, 06:07 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

This story is rubbish.. The SUV segment is only getting better. GM with its hybrid & Flex technology in the Yukon/Escalade. Those trucks handle great for their size, and achieve better EPA fuel economy ratings than years past. Toyota with the release of the new Landcruiser/LX570, Rav4, Highlander that continue to please..
Lets not forget the Europeans with their line of performance suv's/sav's that cout perform & handle better than most cars on the road today. Porshe, BMW, Mercedes, LandRover are not slowing down at all..

I love SUV's and will continue to buy them.
Old 12-26-07, 06:35 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

LX570 at the dealer I purchased my IS from has a "few month" wait list for the 570

so much for RIP SUV
Old 12-26-07, 06:47 AM
cpone
There can only be One

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another eco freak with a keyboard and an agenda.
The fact is that there will always be a market for SUV's. People still buy them, they still want them and the fact that I can't tow a boat with a Crossover is part of the reason.

People LIKE their room, they like the feel of SUV's, the safety thay provide. It may not be REAL safety but the perceived notion of safety in a larger car is reality to many. As different fuels come out so do different engines. Bio Diesel may be the key to "fuel economists" but for the majority of people still buying F150's, F250's, Durangos, Escalades and Hummers. Fuel Economy is NOT on their high list of priorities. That is a fact!

Ohh and FYI hybrids are probably more contributing to CO2 emissions then regular cars, even before they are fully built. Follow the Nickel alloy.
Old 12-26-07, 06:56 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

SUV wont die they will just be less viable for a primary transportation vehicle. Probably get reduced to a special occasion (hauling, towing, off roading) at worst case
Old 12-26-07, 10:28 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hehe, i may hate the SUV but NOT for envrionmental reasons, my is350 is the first car i've owned where i havent pulled the cats in the first wk I'm all for big motor hp and as for the depletion of fossil fuels? Hopefully i'll be dead before it happens so its not my problem. Global warming? bah thats just scientests trying to think of ways to get more funding, warming of the planet is actually a natural cycle of the panet, so is the reversal of the magnetic polls, so are ice ages... Not gonna worry about stuff like that when i could get runned over everytime i use a crosswalk, life is too short.
Old 12-26-07, 10:54 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

No. Unlike 30 years ago, this time, the public is not going to allow it to happen. Back in the 1970's, as the public just sat back and watched as the CAFE rules drove the big, full sized wagons like the Ford Country Squire, Buick Estate Wagon, Mercury Colony Park, etc.....virtually out of buisness, they had big SUV's to fall back on for their passenger, cargo, and towing needs. So the public disn't make a big deal out of it. Instead of buying the big full-sized wagons which were bring phased out, they just quietly started to buy Tahoes, Suburbans, Expeditions, etc..... instead.

But now, if the new round of CAFE rules force THOSE big SUV's out of production (even in hybrid form), you WILL get a public outcry (you can bet the rent money on that), simply, because with THOSE vehicles gone, there will be nothing left to fall back on for those who need lots of interior space, powerful engines, and towing capacity.

So, in short, if big SUV's start to diasappear, so will the jobs of the politicians who represent those people in their districts. The public, most likely, will retaliate at the polls, and elect new politicians who are not hostile to SUVs and will vote to repeal the laws.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-26-07 at 10:58 AM.
Old 12-26-07, 11:21 AM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Stelth91
What about people who have to haul their boats? What about road trips? It would be pretty hard to haul our boat with a 3L crossover. I believe there will always be a market for SUV's. They aren't going out of because of gas mileage.
I sold my SUV, and I'll rent a SUV for those yearly trips or towing or 4x4 for the snow, the other 95% of the time all I need is a car to go from point a to point b.

Quick Reply: Fortune: RIP for the SUV