Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mitsubishi hopes to conquest BMW and Audi buyers

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-07, 12:44 AM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rollin'RX3
What makes this EVO so much of a better daily driver then the old EVO?
i believe it's not as high-strung...

it's "Grown up" and smoother... and track numbers do show the new evo being slightly slowerish.
Old 12-27-07, 01:00 PM
j stuff
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
No chance of attracting BMW/Audi customers.
+1111111111
Old 12-27-07, 01:06 PM
habitat
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see tons of women drive Lancers... but not the Lancer EVO.
Old 12-27-07, 10:02 PM
rg_gibson
Driver

Originally Posted by GSteg
Come to think of it.. maybe Mitsu is really serious about attracting the Audi guys...Just take a look at the grille
hahaha good one
Old 12-28-07, 12:41 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

I was really looking forward to the EVO X.... I liked what the Concept X brought. When real photos of EVO X came out, it was sure attractive (especially when the new WRX/STi is fugly).

Then I heard about the 34k GSR / 39k MR price tag. What a deal breaker. No one will want to pay that kind of money for an EVO that doesn't perform any better than previous EVOs.

Then I heard about the EPA MPG ratings... 16/22 for GSR and 17/22 for MR. That's like what, GTR range?

I was seriously considering this car as my next car. After the detailed specs and price came out, I don't think it will be.
Old 12-28-07, 03:22 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Rollin'RX3
What makes this EVO so much of a better daily driver then the old EVO?
The biggest difference I keep hearing about is that the ride quality is improved substantially. Obviously on past EVOs, the ride was very harsh and that has been toned down. Now of course the EVO 7, 8, and 9 each was progressively "softer" than its previous iteration, but the EVO X takes it to a new level, IMO.

The electronics are also different; I believe the EVO X has completely revised stability control dynamics, which make it much less edgy in corners. This will be particularly noticeable on the US version, which AFAIK did not come with any type of yaw stability control previously.

Originally Posted by GlobeCLK
Then I heard about the 34k GSR / 39k MR price tag. What a deal breaker.
I too was a bit surprised at the increase in price but honestly I think the vehicle is still a very good deal at those rates. You'll get a lot more with the Evo X than with the prior iterations. I remember when the Evo VIII was first rumored to be released I figured a price of 40k+ would not be unreasonable; of course, that was before we knew it would largely be a stripped-down version of the JP model.
Old 12-28-07, 05:55 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i'm a huge mitsubishi fan; i love their turbo cars, i've had and modified several.
awesome engines that take some serious abuse.
the new evo x is far too soft though. the rawness and instant response of the older versions is gone. in that respect, i think they will attract some german car buyers if they can just get over caring about what badge is on the trunk.
i would own one any day rather than over rated unreliable german junk.
that being siad, i'd much rather have an an older evo. the X is too expensive and too soft. i like the idea of stuffing an overengineered drivetrain into an econobox body and whooping everything else on the street; while having instant steering and handling feedback.
the new X is great for the mass market and for what people "think" a performance car should be these days, but for me; i want to feel it.
Old 12-28-07, 04:43 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by gengar
I too was a bit surprised at the increase in price but honestly I think the vehicle is still a very good deal at those rates. You'll get a lot more with the Evo X than with the prior iterations. I remember when the Evo VIII was first rumored to be released I figured a price of 40k+ would not be unreasonable; of course, that was before we knew it would largely be a stripped-down version of the JP model.
I think the whole thing about going upscale/upmarket with the EVO is not a great idea to begin with. The EVO X, like the new STi, pleases no one. They don't have any substantial performance improvements over their previous versions, and they are far too uncomfortable for most people to drive daily.

People who want upscale versions of the WRX will get the Legacy GT. That is smart. Mitsubishi needs to bring back a Galant VR4 for the upscale market, not to kill their performance icon by giving it leather and NAV.

Nevertheless, I don't hate the idea that the EVO will be more refined. It's just that the EVO used to be a "bargain" for the performance you get with the price tag. Now it just seems like the price is barely justified.
Old 12-28-07, 04:57 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by GlobeCLK
People who want upscale versions of the WRX will get the Legacy GT. That is smart. Mitsubishi needs to bring back a Galant VR4 for the upscale market, not to kill their performance icon by giving it leather and NAV.
Agree with you 100% here. Even though I think the car is still a good deal, I'd much rather have a hardened version.
Old 12-28-07, 07:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Mitsubishi is hoping that those rushing into BMW and Audi dealerships to pick up a new ‘08 model will take notice of the new redesigned 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution. They would also like some more female shoppers to check out the new 295 horsepower beast.

Mitsubishi believes that while Evo shoppers have always been mostly men and rally fans, the new refined Lance Evoution may be attractive to those luxury sedan shoppers looking at a new 3-Series, A4, C-Class or G37.
As far as I can tell, the biggest obstacle to women buying the Evo is its extremely harsh and noisy ride. The Evo I reviewed back in 2006 had probably the harshest ride I've ever seen on a 4-door sedan, though the old 4-door 1988 Mazda 323 Turbo, with the adjustable suspension set on Firm, comes close. Most women don't want a ride that harsh and are unconcerned with race-car handling.
Old 12-28-07, 07:42 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

if you're looking for daily drivable Evo, you'll have to opt for the MR model (at least for evo 8/9). The Bilstein shock/sping combo is much more tolerable over harsher crappier conditions, like those in the east coast. For the most part, i don't find it as terrible when i drive my Evo RS on the streets.

But the biggest prohibitive factor for people, especially women, is probably not the ride, but most likely the tranny selection: only manual. This isolates the car mostly for hard core enthusiasts willing to live with it in today's stop and go traffic. The SST clutchless tranny option finally addressed this shortcoming for the mass.

Although i disagree in many regards to a lot of member's views here (my impetus on car purchase is based on performance, reliability, and value, and not a badge), i understand people's outrage when thinking of mitsu going upmarket. However, the fair comparison would probably be to the entry level Bimmers, like the new 135i as opposed to other more expensive models. Remember now, several years ago Huyndai wanted to be on par with Toyota when they had some of the shabbiest image and rep, and was mocked accordingly. Now they have a superb lineup and are even trying to take on Lexus. Times have change, and unless you a brand snob, it is in the best interest of the consumer that companies are diversifying themselves.
Old 12-29-07, 07:19 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ST430
But the biggest prohibitive factor for people, especially women, is probably not the ride, but most likely the tranny selection: only manual. This isolates the car mostly for hard core enthusiasts willing to live with it in today's stop and go traffic. The SST clutchless tranny option finally addressed this shortcoming for the mass.

I agree that the manual tanny is also a factor, but probably not as much as its hard-core suspension. Many women nowadays know how to drive a stick......that was uncommon when I grew up.
Old 12-29-07, 09:00 AM
Tekknikal
Lead Lap

at $29k possibly. at $39k+? nope.
Old 12-29-07, 09:11 AM
sdbrandon
Lead Lap

Hard to steal BMW drivers when BMW have great lease incentives, European delivery and free mintenance. Not to mention they are do pretty well overall in quality.

I read somewhere that the average age of an ES350 buyer is 61. I think that is even higher than Cadillac now IIRC. The younger folks are driving the market and so many companies are scrambling to keep up.

Those who cross shop for performance seem to choose German. If they look at luxury and comfort they seem to opt for Asian cars. However, I find it strange when someone cross shops an Asian car against a German car. I think they know what they want, just not sure they know who has it.

There was another thread on here where someone cross shopped a BMW 3 series with an ES350. I find this puzzling.
Old 12-29-07, 11:09 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sdbrandon
There was another thread on here where someone cross shopped a BMW 3 series with an ES350. I find this puzzling.
Well, the ES350 HAS become a little more BMW-like than the last ES330 was. Lexus put on lower-profile tires, stiffened up the suspension, and even lowered the build quality some to match.

Quick Reply: Mitsubishi hopes to conquest BMW and Audi buyers