Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM must purge pickup glut

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-08, 07:58 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

While not a truck (although truck based) a friend just bought a loaded (REALLY nice) black '07 Suburban for $6K UNDER INVOICE!
Old 01-02-08, 04:56 AM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I'll agree the awkward styling isn't my cup of tea either, but it's hard to fault its build quality. It has a unibody structure COMBINED with a boxed-rail ladder frame...no other light-duty truck in the American market I know of has that feature. Nor do they have the sealed, all-weather, under-bed compartment the Ridgeline does.
I'm not a truck guy, but the Ridgeline's features are really nice. If the bed was long enough to carry my motorcycle, I'd seriously consider it.
Old 01-03-08, 06:07 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On a good note, trucks will always have a large place in the market. They just need to tweak their numbers a bit since people have slowed down on the large purchases right now.

Funny thing is, I bought an FJ and everyone was like, you bought that with gas prices this high?

Well did you think the GS was going to pull a tandem trailer full of ATV’s?

Fact is people need trucks for hauling, towing you name it whether it is recreational or for work (builders\contractors etc).

There will always be a large market for trucks, that is one thing that will help keep the big 3 alive.
Old 01-03-08, 07:35 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Silverado and Sierra are bar none the best pickups on the market right now, overall, IMO. Great combo of quality, performance, comfort, features, and now even a best in class interior design.

The main problem, as others have already stated in this thread, is their lack of rebates. They have their customer base trained to expect massive rebates. GM is well aware of this issue and is trying to wean their customers out of this mentality. They've been progressively lowering their sticker prices year by year while reducing rebates to only year end clearance times instead of just scattered massive year-round fire sales.

These are growing pains for GM and hopefully they don't give in and go back to their old ways of selling.
Old 01-03-08, 07:37 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
The Big Two have relied on truck and SUV sales for many years now.

Times change.

Live by the sword, die by the sword.

Fewer gas guzzlers on the road is a good thing.
Toyota is trying its best to 'live' by that same sword right now with their all new Tundra and Seq... so I'd say it's safe to say Toyota believes it's still a market worth entering at the moment.
Old 01-03-08, 12:07 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
Toyota is trying its best to 'live' by that same sword right now with their all new Tundra and Seq... so I'd say it's safe to say Toyota believes it's still a market worth entering at the moment.
I think that just means they want their bases covered. Toyota is also moving towards hybrids, I'd say much more than any other manufacturer right now.