Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2009 Toyota Corolla: Back & Better

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-07, 05:08 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
What is so boring about it, considering the fact that it is not meant to be a sports car? It is a commuter car.......and even a Bugatti Veyron or Ferrari Enzo, in the murderous stop-and-go traffic of today's big-city commuting conditions, would be boring.
Compared with the new Civic, Toyota had an additional year to figure out the styling for the new Corolla. I suppose for bread & butter mom, & pop Joe public, the new Corolla is fine (it looks like a bigger version of the four-door Yaris to me), but park it next to a Civic sedan and it looks downright... boring.

I'm sure they'll sell a ton of them, which is the point, I suppose.
Old 12-28-07, 06:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Therefore, in general, Corolla buyers are spread in all age groups and between both genders. The Corolla appeals to the masses, not young males that want sport and performance. The Corolla appeals to those who know that it's a reliable car that provides value. That's the magic of the Corolla...
First, not all young males are that sport-oriented either. Second, for those who were, there formerly was a Corolla XRS model that is slightly more sporty than even the Corolla S, with the 1.8L 180 HP VTEC engine, but it is unclear whether or not we will see that on the new model.
Old 12-28-07, 06:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
I suppose for bread & butter mom, & pop Joe public, the new Corolla is fine (it looks like a bigger version of the four-door Yaris to me), but park it next to a Civic sedan and it looks downright... boring.

So what is your definition of "boring"? It's all a matter of persepective and personal preference. I would much prefer the Corolla's old front end (though I'm not wild about the new one) and conventional dash/gauges to the Civic's split-level dash, digital speedometer, and doorstop-wedge front end. And I am neither a senior citizen nor a bread-and-butter mom.
Old 12-28-07, 06:43 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A replacement for a 6-year old model definately needed to be better than this. This is just a mild evolution of the current model. It's not bad but not bad isn't good enough for the importance of the Corolla.

Compare a 2005 Civic to a 2006 Civic and it's like comparing a public pay phone to an i-Phone. A huge leap forward. Unfortunately for Toyota, it wasn't enough time after seeing the new Civic to go back and start the project all over again. That takes years to complete. Maybe the 2014 model will be the redesign we're looking for.

But like some have pointed out, this Corolla will still sell like pancakes at iHop.
It sells for superior reliability, 40 MPG fuel efficiency, practicality, value/resale value, and for many other reasons. It's not supposed to be a super sleek sports car.
Old 12-28-07, 06:44 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
I just noticed the new Corolla has push button start.. Does the Mazda 3 and others in this segment offer push button start?
I believe the new Sentra will have the "Intelligent Key". Also I believe the Versa was supposed to be offered with it but I haven't seen any equipped with it (It does have bluetooth though)
Old 12-28-07, 06:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JLSC4
A replacement for a 6-year old model definately needed to be better than this. This is just a mild evolution of the current model. It's not bad but not bad isn't good enough for the importance of the Corolla.

Compare a 2005 Civic to a 2006 Civic and it's like comparing a public pay phone to an i-Phone. A huge leap forward. Unfortunately for Toyota, it wasn't enough time after seeing the new Civic to go back and start the project all over again. That takes years to complete. Maybe the 2014 model will be the redesign we're looking for.
I'm not sure the styling of the 2006 Civic was an improvement over the 2005.
IMO, the wedge-shaped nose, split-level dash, and digital speedometer were all mistakes.

And the front end of this new Corolla, in my view, is likewise uglier than the car it replaces. I actually thought that the 1993-1997 Corolla was the best-looking one ever built, both outside and inside.
http://consumerguideauto.howstuffwor...-corolla-5.htm

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-28-07 at 07:01 PM.
Old 12-28-07, 07:16 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

I'm not sure the styling of the 2006 Civic was an improvement over the 2005.
IMO, the wedge-shaped nose, split-level dash, and digital speedometer were all mistakes.
I know some disagree which is only natural but I think the Civic redesign was one of the best redesigns ever (for all cars). I never was a big fan of Civics, now I want one more than anything. The sharply angled and forward windshield is perfect and the two tier dash is one of the best features I think.

But because it's differant, you'll have people who either love it or don't.
Old 12-28-07, 07:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JLSC4
I know some disagree which is only natural but I think the Civic redesign was one of the best redesigns ever (for all cars). I never was a big fan of Civics, now I want one more than anything. The sharply angled and forward windshield is perfect and the two tier dash is one of the best features I think.

But because it's differant, you'll have people who either love it or don't.
And the Civic is one of those cars that are an automotive institution and will ALWAYS sell, no matter what the styling. Sales won't bog down like they did with the controversial 1995-1999 Taurus, simply because the Civic, unlike the Taurus, has an almost cult following. The Taurus, yes, was popular, but didn't generate the deep owner loyalty that Civic does.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-29-07 at 06:36 AM.
Old 12-28-07, 09:24 PM
LexFather

I have to say it always amazes me when boring cars get huge threads! They are not boring!! lol

Old 12-28-07, 09:32 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I have to say it always amazes me when boring cars get huge threads! They are not boring!! lol
It just goes to show we all like to argue, I mean "Discuss" everything.

The only thing I'm happy to see in this new Corolla is it looks like they are using a standard Double DIN Audio headunit. Makes it easy to go aftermarket. I hate that the audio system in cars today are so odd shaped and integrated into the dash.
Old 12-29-07, 06:32 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
It just goes to show we all like to argue, I mean "Discuss" everything.

The only thing I'm happy to see in this new Corolla is it looks like they are using a standard Double DIN Audio headunit. Makes it easy to go aftermarket. I hate that the audio system in cars today are so odd shaped and integrated into the dash.
Why do people always want aftermarket systems? I hate aftermarket systems! Usually, there's a ton of buttons that are tiny and unclear and all clustered so close together. And they never match the interior.

Old 12-29-07, 06:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I've been driving for almost 40 years and have yet to find a car that is truly boring.....although the old Mitsubishi Tredia from the early 1980's comes close.

When you are a TRUE car enthusiast, you like cars, period.....not just speed and cornering G's.
Old 12-29-07, 06:43 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Lightbulb Cheaper Interiors

Based upon the latest Camry & ES350, it appears Toyota's researchers have surmised that even w/ cheaper interiors, the automobile will still sell. They were obviously right looking @ sales #s.

I expect this to sell just as well, if not better, than the last generation. Then again, the last generation Civic was constantly called boring & its sales took a hit. Maybe this will be the break the Mazda 3, Chevy Malibu & Nissan Sentra need to gain market share.

Last edited by GS69; 12-29-07 at 06:49 AM.
Old 12-29-07, 08:58 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GS69
Based upon the latest Camry & ES350, it appears Toyota's researchers have surmised that even w/ cheaper interiors, the automobile will still sell. They were obviously right looking @ sales #s.

I expect this to sell just as well, if not better, than the last generation. Then again, the last generation Civic was constantly called boring & its sales took a hit. Maybe this will be the break the Mazda 3, Chevy Malibu & Nissan Sentra need to gain market share.

The Chevy Malibu doesn't compete in this class.
It ranges in price from $20-$27K. It competes with the Camry.
Old 12-29-07, 09:04 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

When you are a TRUE car enthusiast, you like cars, period.....not just speed and cornering G's.

Exactly. I personally have appreciation for economy cars even as basic as a Yaris Liftback. So many people get stuck on the best performance and so on.
That comes at a price and many sacrifices. But for those who don't care, then fine.