Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

RX 400h: Lexus unsung Hybrid Hero?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-07, 11:30 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
but there are rumors of a RWD version (and perhaps a V8) for a more sporty option...
If true, then it will no longer be a Camry-based RX then, perhaps a GS-based X-over similar to the HP-X/LF-X concept ?
Old 12-27-07, 12:03 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Robarapta
If true, then it will no longer be a Camry-based RX then, perhaps a GS-based X-over similar to the HP-X/LF-X concept ?
Possibly.

Lexus is definately working with sport performance a little more (such as seen across the board with all their sedans), whereas Toyota is keeping their cars "minimalist" with comfort and gas economy. I doubt that there will be an RX-F, but I believe the RX can be a bit more sporty considering that the chassis is car-based.

It's possible, yes. Will it actually be true? We have to wait and see...
Old 12-27-07, 12:33 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Possibly.

Lexus is definately working with sport performance a little more (such as seen across the board with all their sedans), whereas Toyota is keeping their cars "minimalist" with comfort and gas economy. I doubt that there will be an RX-F, but I believe the RX can be a bit more sporty considering that the chassis is car-based.

It's possible, yes. Will it actually be true? We have to wait and see...
If the LF-Xh, sharing the same wheelbase as the LF-X and the GS, is any indication, the next RX almost certainly will be GS-based, and I for one am glad Lexus makes the switch.
Old 12-27-07, 12:42 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Here she is.. Not bad

First Look: 2009 Lexus RX SUV
By Ed Hellwig, Senior Editor

It's still a year and a half away, but we're giving you an early look at the 2009 Lexus RX 350 SUV with our latest series of photo illustrations.

According to our sources, the biggest change for the next-generation RX will be the introduction of a long-wheelbase model with room for seven. A standard five-passenger model will continue as the base version. The overall design uses a shorter greenhouse to give the vehicle a sleeker, more performance-oriented look. A unique treatment for the rear end allows for plenty of cargo and passenger space in back without sacrificing the low-slung profile.

Our sources are also telling us that this could be the first RX to offer V8 power. With an eye toward competing with the likes of the Porsche Cayenne and BMW's X5, this RX may offer the same 4.6-liter V8 engine used in the recently introduced LS 460 sedan. With 380 horsepower, an RX 460 would have plenty of pickup, especially if the engineers at Lexus find a way to fit their new eight-speed automatic transmission behind the powerful engine.

Base models are expected to continue with the 3.5-liter V6 introduced this year in the current RX 350. A hybrid model is guaranteed to be part of the mix as well, although this time it may be reserved for seven-passenger models only. Utilizing a blend of electric motors and the more powerful 3.5-liter V6, the next-generation RX hybrid should have more than enough power to deal with the added weight of two extra passengers.

Look for the official unveiling of these new RX SUVs at the Tokyo Motor Show in the fall of 2007 with U.S. sales beginning in the spring of 2008. http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...cleId=116536#7
Old 12-27-07, 12:51 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

^^That article and the illustration are over a year old and were done before the debut of the LF-Xh. I'm sure the LF-Xh, having received mostly positive responses so far, will be the basis of the next RX instead of the thing in that illustration.
Old 12-27-07, 01:01 PM
LexFather

My sources say no 7 seat RX, they didn't like any design with a bigger RX. Which is odd as I am not fond of the next RX concept's looks. It has a much flatter roof than the current RX, I would figure you could make the concept a 7 seater easily.

Again, the RX is best selling in class since 1999. The 2RX found a way to keep old RX owners and attract new ones. The RX is a great concept and well executed.
The 3RX will continue that path. You don't throw away 100,000 customers a year (more than some ENTIRE BRANDS here) b/c Car and Driver says you can't do the slalom in .90 in the .00003% you are going to drive like that.

Old 12-27-07, 03:52 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How bout just a direct injected RX...especially the hybrid.
Old 12-27-07, 04:10 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's no question the RX has become, like the ES, Lexus' bread and butter. Great value and all-around excellent design.

The problem for me was that Acura offered an even better value, which is why we chose the RDX over the RX. There are noticeable things you give up in choosing an Acura over a Lexus, but in this case the difference wasn't worth the cost.
Old 12-27-07, 09:47 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Agreed. Hopefully, Lexus will do a ground up re-work of the RX series to address this. Perhaps the new one should ride on the Lexus IS chassis ala the X3 which rides on the 3 series chassis. As a driver with family onboard, control should be key.
Isn't that a bit small? The IS is based on the GS' chassis anyway so maybe the GS is a better choice.

what I'm worried about is weight. The new Highlander is already 1,800kg+ with the hybrid pushing near 2,000kg! . The RXh is almost guaranteed to weigh more because of the extra sound insulation and luxury goodies.
Old 12-28-07, 05:11 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
How bout just a direct injected RX...especially the hybrid.
It would have to be AWD, too much HP for its FWD chassis. The current FWD RX under full power in first gear is dangerously squirrelly.
Old 12-28-07, 05:31 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

HOWEVER, I think the RX needs to watch out for its competitors. And I'm not talking about the MDX/RDX. I'm talking about the Hyundai Veracruz, and even the new Toyota Highlander will take some sales away from the RX.
Hyundai, has in fact, come a long way since its first years. They are now a force to be reckoned with. Their build quality is up there, their reliability has improved dramatically. Truly an amazing value. However, there is a reason why the Veracruz is $$$$ less than the RX and it can be seen all over the interior. Lexus is a premium brand, Hyundai is a value oriented brand. I don't think premium car buyers will be cross shopping economy class brands. The Veracruz will be taking sales from Kia, Suzuki, Ford, GM. etc. Lexus' true competition is Acura, VW, Infiniti, Porsche, Audi, MB, etc.
Old 12-29-07, 11:04 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Hyundai, has in fact, come a long way since its first years. They are now a force to be reckoned with. Their build quality is up there, their reliability has improved dramatically. Truly an amazing value. However, there is a reason why the Veracruz is $$$$ less than the RX and it can be seen all over the interior. Lexus is a premium brand, Hyundai is a value oriented brand. I don't think premium car buyers will be cross shopping economy class brands. The Veracruz will be taking sales from Kia, Suzuki, Ford, GM. etc. Lexus' true competition is Acura, VW, Infiniti, Porsche, Audi, MB, etc.
I agree, I think near luxury vehicles that are stand outs take more away from tier II/III luxury brands as their name appeal isn't as strong and offers less merit.

People buy a BMW, Benz, Lex on the "just because" factor, they have established themselves in America as "Statement" cars. Other brands don't have that comfort and have to truly prove themselves to sell.

Of course there are very logical buyers who say "well, this Hyundai etc offers the same or more for less of a price, thus its the car I want".

Well the WIFE, doesn't like logic, she wants a Lexus.